Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 06:43   #1

Liveaboard British Columbia

Hi myself and my wife and child will soon be looking at buying a sailboat and moving to BC ,could anyone give me any information on marinas on the west coast that would be suitable to liveaboard, anywhere is good as I have my own truck and work away for a couple of weeks at a time but my wife and child would be staying there. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.chris

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Chriscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:58   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: Liveaboard British Columbia

We've sailed all up & down there and there are many marinas, so it will really depend where you want to make your home.

Do you want the city (more $'s) or a smaller town to live in? The Island or the Mainland? A smaller island perhaps? Up the Sunshine Coast is nice such as Pender Harbour. We love Snug Cove on Bowen Island if that suits you. Very quaint but yet close to Vancouver. We know people at Sydney & there is quite a bit of live aboards there I believe.

You could do some driving and check things out. That would be the fastest & easiest way.

Best of luck to you & your family! 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:12   #3

Hi krafthaus, yes when we get there we will have a good look around, we need somewhere where there is a school for our 8 year old daughter and also I have to have easy access to the mainland so I can carry on working to build the cruise kitty for a year or so.. thanks for your input

Old 13-05-2016, 17:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I bought my current boat in Nanaimo and stayed there a couple months. Nice city, many marinas, stores, but not so busy like Vancouver or Victoria.
Try http://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/
Best sales experience I've had in my life.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 18:10   #5

If you need the mainland, the Island would appear to be out, because of the high cost of the ferry back & forth. My f-i-l lives in Duncan, so I know the drill.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 19:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
We love Snug Cove on Bowen Island if that suits you. Very quaint but yet close to Vancouver.
SHHHHHH!!!!!

Don't be telling people about Bowen... please! It's the best kept secret in the PNW!

Old 14-05-2016, 05:29   #7

I'm definitely gonna check Bowen out then I run my own truck so if I can get on with a company I know based in Victoria they would pay the ferry if not I think we will try shelter bay. Thanks

Old 14-05-2016, 07:49   #8

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I don't think I would like a daily commute from any place on Vancouver Island to the mainland, even if it were free. Too many hours spent on the ferry and waiting in lines getting on the ferry. Also it becomes a hard schedule with no slack. You either get on at the right time or you miss it and have to take the next ferry. Not too bad if weekly. You didn't specify how often.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:04   #9

Sorry I'm a truck driver so I would be gone for a week or two at a time.

Old 15-05-2016, 04:44   #10

No info to add, I have the same plan. Used to live out there so have some ideas of where I want to be.
Been in Ontario for 20 years now, everybody has now died. Time to move back west and resume life!
Could be next year, could be in 3 years. Depends if one of my big contracts gets picked up for the two option years.....One year left if not.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 10:56   #11

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscook View Post
Sorry I'm a truck driver so I would be gone for a week or two at a time.

Then a longish ferry ride might be OK for you. Good luck. You'll like it out here.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 19:02   #12

If you are looking in to live aboard in Vancouver Shelter Island has the most reasonable rates around, but it is pretty far up the river. The downtown ones have 2-5 year wait lists and are a bit more expensive. There might be a live aboard in Squamish or the Sunshine coast, those are great spots.
Goldstream Marina just outside Victoria is in a beautiful spot, rates are okay. There are a couple other live aboard marinas in Victoria, but they are pricey too. I would also recommend checking out Nanaimo or Campbell River. They are decent sized towns, and I'm sure they still have reasonable rates.
I grew up on the island, so I highly recommend it, if you don't mind the extra travelling. Plus, there are so many amazing marinas and anchorages on the island to explore!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
beatlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 20:16   #13

Boat: Valiant 40-169

I lived in Nanaimo for 14 years and liked it very much. Just about the right size for a place. I lived on my boat for 10 years at Stones Marina, a family owned marina near the Departure Bay ferry terminal. I think they are still allowing liveaboards. If you stop in say hello to Mark Stones for me if he is around.
Gord Wedman
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 04:35   #14

I've called shelter bay and it sounds a pretty good deal, if I can get on with a company in Victoria I think we will go for the island. Thanks for your comments they've been really helpful.

Old 17-05-2016, 08:49   #15

Boat: O'Day 40

We looked at Shelter Island a couple of years ago but its a pretty industrial setting. (It's the only marina I know of that officially allows liveaboards.) A dock neighbour was in there for a couple of years and has lots of bad things to say about it. I'd want to talk to a few residents first and would definitely look at Vancouver Island.

Tags
british columbia, columbia, liveaboard