Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 09:20   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Disappearing Routes With New Hardware

For years I have used and supported OpenCPN with few problems. I have now upgraded my computer and am having problems with my route lines disappearing when I try to change the line appearance to say 'Dark Blue, Long Dash, 4 pixels'. As soon as I do that and apply, the line disappears though the waypoint triangles at each end of the line remain.

My old computer was a Dell XPS 13 I5, 8GB Ram and an Intel HD Graphics card. The new computer is a Dell XPS 13 I7, 16GB Ram and an Intel UHD 620 Graphics card. Both have Windows 10 Home Edition OS's and both have VMware 15 Windows 7 Home virtual machines in which I run my entire navigation package due to some program compatibility problems, and to make it easy to move to another computer if needed.

When I moved the VM to the new computer, VM successfully cloned it to take into account the new hardware. All other programs seem to run fine. With OpenCPN, the route lines worked fine but the bottom third of the screen had numerous horizontal streaks across it, sometime in an opaque grey colour. To clear the screen, I have to run accelerated graphics (Settings/Display/Advanced/Use OPenGL). As soon as I do this, whatever options I choose, Routes appear as a faint thin pale blue line. If I try to alter the appearance, the line immediately disappears. Both VM's are using the same VMware SVGA 3D driver, though the new machine has a higher resolution (3840x2160). Changing the resolution makes no difference.

I am wondering if I can change the default appearance of the route line in the opencpn.ini file? I see reference to the default width, but not to the colour or the texture, such as a continuous line or dashed. Maybe if the default was as I want, the line would not have to be changed and disappear?

Finally I wanted to write this on FlySpray. I registered, logged in OK but could see no means of creating a new bug report. Can anyone please help with any of the above?

Regards and a Happy New Year.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:35   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Disappearing Routes With New Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

I am wondering if I can change the default appearance of the route line in the opencpn.ini file? I see reference to the default width, but not to the colour or the texture, such as a continuous line or dashed. Maybe if the default was as I want, the line would not have to be changed and disappear?
I can't help yo with your win VM problems.........

Assuming that you are running OpenCPN 4.8.8 it's very easy to change the color of the route.
Go to Options->Ships->Own Ship-> Tracks and press the button called "Track Colour" and pick your color.

Quote:
Finally I wanted to write this on FlySpray. I registered, logged in OK but could see no means of creating a new bug report. Can anyone please help with any of the above?
Not so easy to find. I have not used the tracker for some time and had the same problem as you. There is a bug as the full taskbar is not shown until you have clicked the ID of some existing task. Then you will see a new task bar, including "Add new task". Obviously the full taskbar should be there to start with!!
The shortcut Shift+Alt+a does not work either, until the full taskbar is shown.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I can't help yo with your win VM problems.........

Assuming that you are running OpenCPN 4.8.8 it's very easy to change the color of the route.
Go to Options->Ships->Own Ship-> Tracks and press the button called "Track Colour" and pick your color.

Not so easy to find. I have not used the tracker for some time and had the same problem as you. There is a bug as the full taskbar is not shown until you have clicked the ID of some existing task. Then you will see a new task bar, including "Add new task". Obviously the full taskbar should be there to start with!!
The shortcut Shift+Alt+a does not work either, until the full taskbar is shown.

Thomas
Hello Thomas,

thanks for the reply. However Own Ship does not allow to to change route appearance. Only Track colour. You did teach me though how to change all displayed tracks colour in one stroke! Thank you.

I did follow your guidance with regards to submitting a bug report to FlySpray, and it worked. The route issue is now lodged.

Regards

Ian (Biggles)
Old 13-01-2019, 04:33   #4

After copying the VM machine again to the new hardware, and again running the VM upgrade utility and limiting the display to 1920 x 1080, I have now got a line free display without having to select GL (Accelerated Graphics). However, when GL is selected, the routes vanish, yet tracks and boundaries remained displayed correctly. So I have a now working installation, but it would be so much better if GL would work as it greatly improves chart scrolling and zoom.

Tags
hardware, route