Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 01:06   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 Cruiser
Where to provision in Cape Verde for the Atlantic Crossing

Hi,
I will be crossing the Atlantic to the Caribbean in late November and am wondering where to provision in Cape Verde for the Atlantic Crossing?
The island and town that has good prices and access. Any feedback would be appreciated. Geoff
Wanderlust141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 01:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
Re: Where to provision in Cape Verde for the Atlantic Crossing

Mindello is the cruiser stop-over. There is a marina (or anchorage next to it). Also a small supermarket and plenty other shops in town. Water at the marina is potable. Also a market a short walk from the marina - the chillis are classified as FH, so do not pop one into your mouth! I have also been to Pria, the capital town, but was held up at gunpoint and wallet stolen - not a pleasant experience. Mindello is a much better and safer place on the west of St Vincente Island.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 02:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to provision in Cape Verde for the Atlantic Crossing

If your coming from the Med I would suggest you do your bulk provisioning in the Canaries.. Las Palmas for example, then just top up on fresh foods in Cap Verde.. there's a greater variety and likely cheaper goods.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:19   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

You provision in Canary Islands, not in CV.

As others said, at CV Mindelho is your best bet.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:20   #5

Boat: Montevideo 43'

If you have to provision in CV then Mindello is your best bet. You have to buy the water at the marina even if you you use the marina. There are a couple of small supermarkets. You will also find a wholesaler about two blocks behind the supermarket on the right hand side of the marina.
Downline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:31   #6

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Sailing from Ziguinchor (South Gambia, Casamance River) for Brazil we stopped in Praia for more Provisioning. We found a well stocked Supermarket behind the town in the valley where the big open market is. Had no problems. nothing stolen. In the Center is the Phoenicia Supermarket but not so good stocked as the mentioned Supermarket near the open market.

Ziguinchor it self was good for fresh produce, best tomatoes we ever had eaten so we decided to sail over Praia for more complete provisioning.

I have to mention that I asked in Praia for clearance to Brazil but with stop over in Fogo for a visit of the Volcano. That was granted but a French couple who asked the same and was also granted was sent back by the Capitania in Fogo. They had to sail back to Praia to do the Clearance again. As we arrived after business hours of the capitania of Fogo in the evening and heared what happened to the French Crew, we departed early, before business hours in the morning, for the Volcano and came back after business hours again. Next morning we left at first light for Fernando de Noronha.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:07   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I did the trip just a few years back. We stopped at Las Palmas, Grand Canaria. There were lots of decent grocery stores. Also, likely because of the ARC, there is plenty of support for marine gear, boat stores, and services. The marina is excellent, and everything is walking distance.

Like others have posted...provision in Las Palmas, then head south. At that time of year, its likely the best you'll be able to point anyway. Top up your water and fuel in CV if you must go there. And from CV you have a clear shot to the Caribbean. By going so far south, you are more likely to pick up the trades sooner, saving fuel and time.

Good luck...and please let us know how it goes!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:22   #8

Boat: Catana 472

Shop in Las Palmas Gran Canaria. You will be glad u did as it's very limited in Mindello. We crossed last November.
sail2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 17:56   #9

Good question because I may end up there next year especially because I cannot get any sense out of WCC about ARC and costs. so, to butt in here, does anybody know how much, assuming space is available, it is to sail with the fleet from the Canaries to the Caribbean? I have asked three times and got all sorts of information but nothing about $$$. Help greatly appreciated!
Izenears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 01:50   #10

Mindello has some shops but most of them were either empty or sold stuff that must have been way past its best. If you stop at Pria then you must get a taxi in and out of town because you will be mugged otherwise. I would suggest stocking up in the Canary Isles.
Nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 07:22   #11

I agree with Canary Islands but mind that Las Palmas (main port on Gran Canaria) offers no berthage unless you sail by BEFORE or AFTER the arc or else if YOU ARE on the arc. The anchorage is not free and is VERY VERY congested. There are many small crashes there every year when the wind swings.

The reason is very simple that the marina does not assign berths to non-arc boats from mid October to end on November. Next year it can be even worse as the Mini is said to stop over here.

You have so many options in Canary Islands that you will be spoiled. Try Santa Cruz (Tenerife) or Arrecife (Lanzarote) if you come while Las Palmas is reserved for the posh crowd. You may also love many of smaller harbours and marinas on Fuerteventura, La Palma, Gomera or Hierro. Most have very well stocked and very reasonably priced supermarkets.

Cheers,
b.
Las Palmas
Gran Canaria
Old 28-09-2016, 00:08   #12
Marine Service Provider

easy, just anchor or dock at Mindelo and go to the local market, there you will find fresh and cheap vegetales with no effort.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:52   #13

Hi
We did the Arc+ in 2013. I agree with the other posts to stock up in GC before you travel down. We enjoyed Mindelo for the week we were there and felt safe at all times. It was interesting how quickly the fresh stuff from Mindelo went off! The veg from GC lasted longer, we put it down to Spanish supermarkets providing a decent shelf life for produce with preservatives etc. something which the organic farmers in Cape Verde don't have the luxury of!...our theory anyway! Have fun!
bryn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn123 View Post
Hi
We did the Arc+ in 2013. I agree with the other posts to stock up in GC before you travel down. We enjoyed Mindelo for the week we were there and felt safe at all times. It was interesting how quickly the fresh stuff from Mindelo went off! The veg from GC lasted longer, we put it down to Spanish supermarkets providing a decent shelf life for produce with preservatives etc. something which the organic farmers in Cape Verde don't have the luxury of!...our theory anyway! Have fun!
The explanation is actually somewhat opposite of what you have imagined.

Sao Vincente has dry climate and its agriculture is negligible. Neighbouring Sao Antao is somewhat more lucky ... but ... there used to be a long term ban on exports to other islands.

Thus what you buy in Mindelho market is all imports that came from overseas, as a minimum from the other islands but much more frequently from Canary Islands, Senegal or other sources. Agriculture in the islands is less than 10% of their of their GDP and roughly 75% of their food is imported.

So, what you buy in Mindelho will not last because it is actually way further from the producer, with all the involved consequences.

And, as far as I know, there is nearly ZERO organic farming in the Cabo Verdes

Cheers,
b.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:00   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to provision in Cape Verde for the Atlantic Crossing

Yup.. fresh food chilled for shipping and on supermarket shelves rarely stays good after 3 days.
If you've a freezer/spillover cold box get packets of frozen veg for the long haul.. still had some left on arrival in Spain after a 5 week crossing from St Martin

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, Cape Verde