Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 10:12   #1

Getting connected to the sailing community in San Diego

Hi all,

My husband and I are moving from NYC to San Diego in June and I'm looking for any suggestions on how we can get connected to the sailing community. We both used to race on the Great Lakes up in Buffalo and would be interested in doing that again. Even more so, we love sailors and sailing and are hoping to find people with similar interests to be our new friends (I've been warned it can be hard to make friends in San Diego).

A little about us--we started sailing in Buffalo back in 2010, and bought a day sailor which brought us many hours of joy learning how to sail up on Lake Erie. When we moved to NYC in 2014, we briefly joined the Manhattan Yacht Club but weren't really feeling it, so our primary sailing has been a couple charter trips (Greece, Chesapeake Bay, Florida, Lake Champlain, BVI). We hope to buy a 30-40 ft boat in San Diego once we get settled, but we'll probably need to wait until I find a job (we're moving there for his job). Oh and some other basic info--we are in our early 30s, no kids yet, he's a mathematician/data analyst and I am a social work manager. Both liberal leaning vegetarians, don't smoke, but like a glass of wine or a good beer!

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for either groups or communities we could get involved with, or needs an extra hand with their boat, or just wants to take us out for a sail!! Thanks for your consideration!

Best,
Marilee
SweetSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 11:14   #2

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter
Re: Getting connected to the sailing community in San Diego

join the crew list on latitude 38, SA etc. (lo-tech) 3x5 cards on the boards at wastemarine, downwind etc. i stood on the corner of shelter island drive/ rosecrans with a sign "will crew for food" and always got a ride within 15 min or so on race weekends. do the railmeat thing for a bit but always go to the pickeldish ceremony after and make additional connections. harbor island sailing for reasonable rentals (capri22).
really easy to sail in sd without a boat. and dont forget mission bay...

welcome
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, san diego