Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 09:50   #1

Boat: Contest 50CS
Are Satellite antenna compatible

My boat is currently equipped with Fleetbroadband 250 but the monthly cost are too high. I would like to switch to iridium Go. Does anyone know if I can hook up the Iridium Go unit the the fleetbroadband antenna?
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 11:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Are Satellite antenna compatible

I was recently looking for satellite connections for both my boat, given Spot gave up the hardwired HUG device and my Iridium sat phone fees were beginning to hurt, and for our local Emergency Management, given Hurricane Michael wiped us off the air.

By switching to satellite communicators (Garmin, Spot) you can get the cost down to $300 or so plus $12 a month. You get texting simple messages plus tracking and SOS service, but not a fixed antenna.

The Iridium GO does have a marine antenna option, and serves as a hotspot for smartphones rather than a communicator itself. BUT.... the set up is close to $1,000 and they want $60/month minimum for air time.

I've gone to the Spotx, probably not as good as the Garmin, but $250 to buy, $12/month, and fits on my belt for biking in the boonies. I'll just have to go out on deck to get a signal, or call for help from the life raft.
Old 28-08-2019, 10:56   #3

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Are Satellite antenna compatible

sailone,
The short answer is:
No...
No, the two systems are not compatible at all....and you cannot use one part of one with parts of the other.
Sorry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailone3032 View Post
My boat is currently equipped with Fleetbroadband 250 but the monthly cost are too high. I would like to switch to iridium Go. Does anyone know if I can hook up the Iridium Go unit the the fleetbroadband antenna?
The long is the same, but includes questions for you.

What data service do you require?
What are you data usage / needs?
Where are you sailing? (Ottawa?)

There are even many more questions, but the reason I ask even these few is:
Most offshore sailors find little need for e-mail connectivity / data, when away from shore-side/terrestrial infrastructure....the few days / weeks they are at sea (or in far remote areas), many like myself enjoy the freedom from being "connected" 24/7...
Of course, if you have a business to run and/or need 24/7 connectivity for other professional reasons, that is understandable....
But, with the plethora of offshore weather info broadcast for free via HF....and the ubiquity of cellular and wi-fi networks in populated areas....the need for satcom data is rare among most sailors these days.

Hope this helps.

fair winds.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, satellite