Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 20:42   #1

Mid-40's family cruiser- Finally time to shop!

Nearly 20 years after the first passage that infected me with the sailing bug, it's finally time to find my boat! House is sold and cash is in hand, so I'm a serious buyer for the right vessel.

I have a pretty good idea of what we're hoping to find, we're a family of three with a 8 year old boy, a cat and a chihuahua, so we're definitely needing a bit of space. Center cockpit in the 44-48' range with a good sized aft cabin would be ideal, but some of the modern rear cockpits (Hunter 420/450, for example) would work too. Since my wife and I have different priorities in a floating home, and since keeping her happy is my first priority, I'll list her needs first.

She needs a shower that doesn't require you to stand over the toilet. A tub of some sort would be great, but even just a separate space is fine. AC in the master cabin, and a queen size bed.

I need pretty much everything else! Obviously looking for a boat that's as complete and ready to cruise as possible, but I don't mind putting in some sweat equity. Trying to avoid the *major* projects though, so priority to newer aux engines, good standing rigging, no teak decks and no interior water damage. Ideal boat would be one that has recently been actively cruised, so it already has all the expensive little extras.

I'm pretty open minded with regards to boat style. About the only thing I'd specifically avoid by name are the Morgan OIs. I love the looks of the big classic overhangs, but interior volume is a higher priority at this point.

Location: We're in Corpus Christi, TX. It'd be AWESOME to find a boat in Texas so we could play with it while we're wrapping things up here over the next 6 months, but I'd definitely consider something on the hard somewhere easily inspected that could wait for us. Alternatively, I'd also look at something gulf-coast or western Caribbean that's 100% ready to roll and could be delivered to us here immediately.

Money: The million dollar question, right? I'm hoping to spend under 75k all-in. So in most cases that means a 50k boat into which I'm going to put 25k for a refit. But hey, if there's a totally ready-to-cruise boat out there someone is letting go of for 75, I'm ALL ears!

I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings, so ask away if any clarification needed on our wants. Thanks to all and fair winds!
Psychsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 09:54   #2

Re: Mid-40's family cruiser- Finally time to shop!

This was posted in the Bluewater cruiser thread yesterday. Its in Corpus Christi? Worth a look?

Mother1ship

Boat: 1975 Morgan OI ketch
Re: Bluewater Circumnavigation Capable Sailboat 50K
I have a seaworthy Morgan 41' OutIsland ketch in Corpus Christi ready to go for 40K, 6kw generator, two new Marinair AC units professionally installed, new 6 cf freezer, you'd still have 10K left for your cruising kitty!
Rontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 13:56   #3

I did see that, thank you Rontero. There aren't many sailboats I'd exclude on looks alone, in fact there's only one... And that's the Morgan OI series. I just can't get past the looks to even consider them, although I'm sure they can be fine boats...
Old 31-07-2019, 12:46   #4

Still looking!
Old 31-07-2019, 13:56   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychsurf View Post
would be ideal, but some of the modern rear cockpits (Hunter 420/450, for example) would work too.

look for a Hunter 40.5 or a good deal on a 356/380

too bad you don't like the OI, that's a solid couple cruising boat

You left so many things out of your "wishes" that really asking a forum such and open ended question isn't going to be a lot of help for you. In just a couple of hours you could really narrow down to some boats you like by searching on

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...dedSelected=-1
Old 31-07-2019, 14:25   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

That was a great story until the end. Your wife wants a nice hot water shower etc etc etc, and you want to spend just $50-75K for 44' boat? You better be a wiz bang at fixing everything boat. You need to spend more.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 14:35   #7

Thanks for the reply sailorboy1! I was actually trying to keep it relatively open-ended so I didn't exclude any possibilities that I hadn't considered. But being honest with our needs, I haven't yet seen anything under 42' that feels like it has the space that would make all of us happy.

I actually spend a couple of hours pretty much every night searching a half-dozen different listing sites, as well as craigslist and facebook marketplace/groups. While I had my house on the market I saw some really great deals come and go. Some of the boats that have really caught my eye are the Gulfstar Hirsch 45s, the Freedom 45, the Catalina Morgan 50 with owner's cabin, Morgan 461/462, the Hunter Passage 420/450 of course, and various others I can't recall at the moment. I definitely have a short list of boats I'm considering, but I wanted to put it out to the forum here as well in case someone has something that's being actively cruised and ready and (hopefully!) nearby that would fit our needs well. I'm definitely not putting all my eggs in this basket so to speak, just casting a wide net.

Thanks again for the input, and by all means do let me know what you think if I can further narrow my WTB requests here!
Old 31-07-2019, 14:59   #8

Thanks for the input, Ecos. As I mentioned to sailorboy, I've been drilling into the online listings pretty hard for quite a while now, so I do know boats with our criteria do exist in my price range. I also know the good ones tend to go quickly, so that's why I'm expanding my search to this fantastic community as well, in the hopes someone ready to move back to land sees this before they start listing online. Believe me, I'd love to have more to spend, but I'd rather get on the water sooner. I hope you'll keep us in mind if you should happen to run across any of those deals as well.
Old 31-07-2019, 15:19   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychsurf View Post

Thanks again for the input, and by all means do let me know what you think if I can further narrow my WTB requests here!
I can't as I have no way to read your mind to have any other idea for is a good boat for YOU. Especially as a 42' isn't big enough. So I'll let others throw the darts for you.

BTW for the most part a 46-47' I feel is the ideal couple boat because it has better tankage than a 42'. But other than the tankage after 42' the extra space goes to the guests you will have only in your mind ti;ll the boat gets to 55' when the owners get a little more space.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:22   #10

I agree 46' would be about perfect. The 40-44' CCs I've seen seem to be just a little bit lacking in the rear cabin.

As before, I'm seeing quite a few that'd fit the bill if I'm willing to transport from Florida or Caribbean, but still hoping to find something closer to home.
Old 10-08-2019, 18:17   #11

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

I just noticed a Shuttleworth Cat in the Cruisers for sale forum .
$75k for a good sized cruising vessel .

Everyboat needs something replaced or repaired so calculate this into your purchase budget .

Two sides would be great for the whole family .
Dont be too stressed by the open deck

A good bimini can provide the desired coverage and protection from the elements .
BTW I have no interest in the Shuttleworth other than their good reputation .
Good luck ..
Buying a Cat first up would avoid those jealous looks the misses has in each anchorage when your mono rolls like a pendulum and all aboard are heading for the gunwhale .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:03   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Oh, my goodness, Lance,

Give it a break! Some people actually prefer monos. Not that I prefer center cockpit boats, but that is a whole 'nother story. The OP and his good lady get to make their choice.

Honestly, OP, I think you, and the wife and the cat and dog could do okay on a 40 footer, maybe even the right 36 footer. Jim and I cruised roughly 85,000 mi on a 36.

Don't over-think it.

Ann
Old 11-08-2019, 03:21   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I just noticed a Shuttleworth Cat in the Cruisers for sale forum .
$75k for a good sized cruising vessel .

Everyboat needs something replaced or repaired so calculate this into your purchase budget .

Two sides would be great for the whole family .
Dont be too stressed by the open deck

A good bimini can provide the desired coverage and protection from the elements .
BTW I have no interest in the Shuttleworth other than their good reputation .
Good luck ..
Buying a Cat first up would avoid those jealous looks the misses has in each anchorage when your mono rolls like a pendulum and all aboard are heading for the gunwhale .
I can pretty much tell you with certainty that our mono hulls rock and roll less than your multihull jerks around at anchorages. The issue is easily solved using a single or twin stabilizer along with having a deep keel. Monohulls can be extremely stable in anchorages even when a swell can’t be avoided.

Can we at last put this often repeated falacy to rest?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Oh, my goodness, Lance,

Give it a break! Some people actually prefer monos. Not that I prefer center cockpit boats, but that is a whole 'nother story. The OP and his good lady get to make their choice.

Honestly, OP, I think you, and the wife and the cat and dog could do okay on a 40 footer, maybe even the right 36 footer. Jim and I cruised roughly 85,000 mi on a 36.

Don't over-think it.

Ann
Honestly, I'd be open to a cat if one with the right accommodations crossed my path at the right price. But that's a big ask, so I've been looking at monos as a practical matter. And yeah, if it was just the wife and the pets I think we could get away with a much smaller boat, but my 8 year old boy who's going to be a tween before we know it needs at least a door on his cabin to keep him separated from us civilized folks.
Old 11-08-2019, 15:36   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fair enough, so you're looking for a 36 -40 ft boat with two cabins with doors. FYI, there are a few 40 ft boats with 3 cabins, that might suit. It all depends of how much storage space you guys need. Food stores take up a lot of room, for extended travel.

Ann

Tags
cruise, cruiser, family