Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2019, 20:09   #1

Boat: 75' Catalina 27
Sails without sales?

So, I've got a precision 16 that just came out of a few year's storage and I discovered that the jib is ruined. Critters have eaten through it in several places. The main's in great shape... but the jib's gone.

I'm not finding sails specifically for it, but by guessing some numbers I'm figuring that a new headsail will run in the $250 range... which isn't terrible.

BUT... I have some other sails and I'm interested in the 'where to begin' on cutting down and converting if anyone thinks it's worth the trouble? I've got a high quality sewing machine, and have done some hand stitching before on non sail-related projects... so I'm not totally out of my element.

I've got an old foresail for a Catalina 22 which is probably the easiest option? It's rust stained but devoid of gopher holes, so it would be a step up. I haven't measured yet, but it's substantially large... so there'll be a lot of cutting, but I can mostly leave the luff alone... and just trim the foot and leach and create a new clew patch.

And I've got three mainsails for a hobie 14... which are much closer to the right side, but I'd be more 'starting from scratch there, since I'd have to totally change the attachment method instead of just trimming down and hemming, right?

Anyone else play at this? I'm probably looking at wasting a lot of time to save a little money, but if I do... am I going to even like the sail I end up with?

Thanks folks!
DreadPirateRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 20:18   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sails without sales?

for starters, you need to measure the old jib carefully so you have some target dimensions to guide you. Similarly, measure the Cat 22 sail.

Converting old Hobie mainsails into jibs is a looser. The panel layout is likely way different and inappropriate.

But if your recut plan fails you, it should be easy to find suitable second hand jibs that would require very little if any mods to be used, and for a small fraction of new price.

Jim
Old 22-06-2019, 21:46   #3

Thanks so much for the speedy response! As soon as I read your point about converting the mains... I realized that should have been obvious!

I'll lay the ruined sail on top of the Catalina sail tomorrow and see what I'd really be looking at losing.

But I think you're right... $100 on ebay or craigslist, coupled with a little patience, may land me a sail that I'm happier with and save me from always wondering "did I really stitch it solidly enough for that gust I see moving towards me?
Old 22-06-2019, 21:56   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Rob, you don't tell us where you are located. That sort of info is really =helpful to us when trying to help you.

Anyhow, if you are in the states, there are several large used sail vendors, eg Bacon in Annapolis and Minneys in SoCal. They have huge inventories of sails of all sorts, usually at very good prices. My long ago experience with them was that they were honest and conservative in the descriptions of their sails. Have a look at their web sites.

Re worrying about "that gust coming your way"... I gather that your boat is a day sailor to be used in local waters. If so, well, a blown out jib isn't the end of the world! And the experience of doing the modification will stand you in good stead in the future, so you should take that into account in your decision.

Jim
Old 23-06-2019, 02:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rob.

Only you can place a value on your time.
Personally, I've often found that I can earn more (working my trade), than I can I can save with inexpert DIY.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 02:54   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Bacon sails has two jibs for a Precision 165. I wonder if one of those would fit?

There are priced at $50 and $90. Luffs are 17'10" and 17' 7"

https://baconsails.com/bacon/select_sailboat_API.php
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 03:23   #7

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I'd go with Bacon, but this is an easy project with a good machine. If you cut it down, lop off the luff. The sail is old, draft has moved aft. This will give you a better sail shape with the draft more forward where you want it. Additionally you have to rebuild two corners and this preserves the clew which is the most highly stressed.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 19:56   #8

Boat: Sabre 402

Cutting down an old sail sounds easy, but if you have to shorten the luff wire it suddenly starts to take on a new dimension. Plus, the luff wire for a cruising boat's jib could very well be too big to even fit in the tack fitting of a dinghy. So you change it out with thinner wire and thimbles for the ends and pretty soon you have spent enough to wish you'd bought the used Precision 16 jib from Bacon, which will fit and perform properly without having to spend six hours cutting and sewing a sail which might not actually work well.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 22:25   #9

Wow! You guys give a lot of well thought out answers really fast!

Thank you to EVERYONE for the thoughts.

I think I'd be crazy NOT to buy the $50 sail from Bacon.

I'll probably revisit the idea of cutting down the cruiser sail this winter, when it won't be cutting into potential sailing time, because I think the folks who suggested it as a good intro to sail maintenance are right too.

Before I've always 'just sailed' with whatever came with the boat and not paid a lot of attention to the sails themselves... I think a couple of months really watching the used sail will help me figure out if I'm usually over or underpowered up front on that boat... and maybe I'll make a smarter and more interesting decision when I do mess with customizing a sail myself for the first time.

I also just bought a Catalina 27 today... so suddenly I'm a little less worried about getting the little bitty racer back in the water, and may be a little less willing to spend time fixing her up!

Thank you again for all the input!

Tags
sail, sails, sale