Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2018, 09:37   #1

First Catamaran Choice: Family of 4

We have been looking for a boat and having difficulties making the right choice. Our budget is low(<$150K) because we have decided not to do financing. We have found a couple older boats that fit our needs and appear to be in decent shape.

Our kids are 9 and 11 so plan on home schooling. They get along most of the time but fighting does happen in close spaces. We know this from camping in our sprinter van for long periods.

We are currently looking at a FP Athena 38'(great equipment and newer), and a FP Casamance 46'(great size and average condition). I realize bigger boats don't always have better space. We plan on cruising in the Caribbean and spending minimal time at marinas. The Casamance has more of a cockpit area than an aft deck but has larger storage for toys, kayaks, SUP's.

- Does anyone have kids that fight and what are the important factors for keeping them occupied?
- How important is having aft deck dining area?
- How much will a family like ours use the deck?

Thanks In Advance.
bergmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:12   #2

Boat: Sea Ray Laguna 16 Gemini 105M
Re: First Catamaran Choice: Family of 4

Our family is slightly smaller than yours (3 plus a cat and dog), and the kid is younger (1 year and a bit) but our budgets were similar and for the size, we found it impossible to beat the layout of the Geminis. An aft cabin for each kid, and the forward cabin for the 'rents. Plus the price is pretty hard to beat.
Of course, we're in the north, so our choices were limited. We looked at a well priced Leopard 38, but the bunks... all of the bunks were elevated, way too high for us and our dog, but the aft cockpit was lovely and would have been great for hanging out.
The other cat we fell in love with was the Island Packet 35. Again beautiful and useful cockpit, but only two cabins, so you'd need to find a solution for the kids, or do some refits.
Best of luck in your boat hunt.

Erica
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:31   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmd View Post
We have been looking for a boat and having difficulties making the right choice. Our budget is low(<$150K) because we have decided not to do financing. We have found a couple older boats that fit our needs and appear to be in decent shape.

Our kids are 9 and 11 so plan on home schooling. They get along most of the time but fighting does happen in close spaces. We know this from camping in our sprinter van for long periods.

We are currently looking at a FP Athena 38'(great equipment and newer), and a FP Casamance 46'(great size and average condition). I realize bigger boats don't always have better space. We plan on cruising in the Caribbean and spending minimal time at marinas. The Casamance has more of a cockpit area than an aft deck but has larger storage for toys, kayaks, SUP's.

- Does anyone have kids that fight and what are the important factors for keeping them occupied?
- How important is having aft deck dining area?
- How much will a family like ours use the deck?

Thanks In Advance.

We are a family of 3 who just came back to land. Well 2 years ago now, but it still feels like yesterday.

We looked at an Athena but felt the hull berths were too narrow. We also looked at the Lagoon 380 and it set the bar for us for what a cruising family cat should be; spacious hulls and great visibility, good setup for single handing.

1) Where are you looking? $150 is completely in the price range for a mid aughts >40ft catamaran. I've found US brokers price these boats at a premium. BVI and FWI brokerages are a lot more in line with what these cats sell for in the Mediterranean. Cats are more prevalent there so aren't charged a novelty, or exotic, tax.

2) If you can swing it I'd suggest you look at the FP Lavezzi, L380, or L410. It's in your range. Newer than the Casamance. And has the storage for water toys.

3) Our son is an only so never really fought but he did have his cabin that was in charge of cleaning and decorating as he saw fit.
4) When the weather is nice we used our aft deck all the time. Outside of winter or a heavy rain we ate and hung out there all the time.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:33   #4

Thanks @yardie for the advice. I've looked at a Lagoon 380 and it just didn't feel like it was long enough. What websites do you recommend looking at for cats in the Mediterranean?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

I've used Yachtworld, EYB, and ApolloDuck. If you can read and understand French, leboncoin.fr is a good resource. It's the Frogs' version of Craigslist.

I would also look on YW and create an email alert with the type of boat and budget you are looking for. We found our boat at a really aggressive price. And had our offer and deposit in before most other searchers were waking up.

Also, I found 2 Lagoon 410s, on YW, within your budget and they are in Martinique. The 410 is really spacious and plenty fast (within what a cruising cat can consider performance). If it had come up when we began searching the 410 is the model we would have chosen, over the 380.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31   #6

I am restoring a Maine CAT 41, I can get you into a partnership for $60k, when you are done I will buy it back for $50k. East coast and the Bahamas, the Carrribean insurance is 300% more.
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:52   #7

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

You must factor in the cost of getting the boat where you want when bying in the med .
Old 03-12-2018, 11:57   #8

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

If the condition of the boat is acceptable, I would go with a larger boat when possible . IMO the geminis is not suited to life in the Caribbean. Despite what the brochures say sailing there is quite challenging, not trying to start a war.
Old 03-12-2018, 16:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihuler View Post
I am restoring a Maine CAT 41, I can get you into a partnership for $60k, when you are done I will buy it back for $50k. East coast and the Bahamas, the Carrribean insurance is 300% more.

Thanks for the offer. I want to be on the boat for 6 months in the winter. I doubt that will work with another partner. I'd like to see pictures when your done though.
Old 03-12-2018, 16:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
If the condition of the boat is acceptable, I would go with a larger boat when possible . IMO the geminis is not suited to life in the Caribbean. Despite what the brochures say sailing there is quite challenging, not trying to start a war.
I've heard that as well. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:25   #11

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Thats interesting, I havent heard that before,

May I enquire why the Gemini is not suitable for the Carribean,
Honest answer, Please, And no war, Hahahaha

Cheers Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:01   #12

Gemini's only work at the dock, bridgedeck clearance is mandatory for a cruising catamaran.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:40   #13

we have seen plenty of Geminis in the Caribbean and Bahamas and also 34 - 38ft Prouts and plenty of the old low slung South African cats. Most of the sailing in the Bahamas can be done in a day from port to port, even crossing the gulf stream is only 50 miles from USA - so picking the right weather window you can sail anything across, even a Hobie 16. Once at the BVIs most ports can be done in a day all the way to Grenada. So really a coastal cruiser would be just fine. The only tricky bit is getting eastward to the BVI via PR or TCI and this again is about pricking the right weather windows to go east before getting headed by strong trade winds. Coming back is a downhill run.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 13:43   #14

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihuler View Post
Gemini's only work at the dock, bridgedeck clearance is mandatory for a cruising catamaran.
I certainly missed that bit,
I bought my Gemini 105MC after Tony Smith the builder of Gemini's Took one across the Northern Atlantic to England to deliver it,
There is a 45 minute video of his crossing,
Mine has sailed all over the Pacific after being launched in San Diego after being trucked across the USA, Hawai, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu, Australia,

I bought it in Fiji and then sailed it Back to Australia,
Yes, It slams up wind, But who cruises up wind,
Wait a few days and get a tail wind, Then it dont slam, Very pleasant cruising,
I bought mine to handle Bass Straight and the Tasman Sea, Where I live,
Which it is quite capable of,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 13:48   #15

I will exit this conversation, but first, catamarans that slam suck, and if you want to tell people otherwise it is on you.

Tags
catamaran, family