Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 02:53   #1

Canada legalizes marijuana

I can't help but wonder how our border cops are going to change their protocols now that our northern neighbors have legalized pot. It should prove interesting for those who wander over the -+-+-+ line that delineates the border where a substance that is legal on one side becomes a felony for importing on the other. Personally I don't care since I don't partake but it should prove interesting when clearing back into the U.S if the procedures change.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 03:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Canada legalizes marijuana

They are NOT (going to change)! Bringing cannabis into Canada or the USA will remain illegal.
See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...el-208934.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 13:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
They are NOT (going to change)! Bringing cannabis into Canada or the USA will remain illegal.
See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...el-208934.html
Good to know and interesting reading Gord. What I am most curious about is now that the ROAM system is up and working quite well, will this influence how many times the woofy dogs come to sniff our boats. Hopefully it will remain a pleasant chat. Of course I could be a solution in search of a problem on this and nothing will change.
Old 18-10-2018, 14:19   #4

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Canada is a step ahead of the US in this regard. Their immigration laws are commendable as well.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 08:19   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Heavy enforcement at first.

Then it will die down to a new norm. Most of it will be left up to the LEO; some will dump the pot and let it go at a warning, and some will go bananas and make an issue of it.

The Indian nation that is on both sides of the St. Lawrence is probably trying to figure out what to do- either their smuggling ops are now done, or they will seize the opportunity of massively increased supply but at greater risk on the distribution side.

We will see more Americans in the St. Lawrence with pot. After all, they cross the border at will with no care about laws.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 09:47   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

So, legal in Canada and also in Washington State, but the border is an infinitely thin legal line that if with possession you cross, you have committed a crime?

I don't partake either, but this should make for interesting tales.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 12:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A kid arrested here about an hour after it went on sale for possession inside of a motor vehicle. It has to be stored safely in the trunk of the car where it cannot be reached from inside the vehicle. The cops found it in his pocket so must have been a setup or he was stopped for some reason that allowed a personal search.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 06:21   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

This became an issue in aviation after some states in the U.S. legalized marijuana for recreational use. There were instances where private flights originating in these states were intercepted and detained by CBP (Customs & Border Protection) in tandem with local law enforcement. The methods used were often threatening, heavy handed, invasive and occaisionally left the aircraft damaged or unairworthy though no contraband was detected or found. It took organizational and political pressure on CBP to reign in these practices. Nonetheless, though I’ve nothing to hide, as a denizen of one of these states I no longer file flight plans.
Durangutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 06:34   #9

Boat: Nonsuch 30

There are now big signs as you approach land border crossings saying that cannabis is not allowed to cross. I think all the fuss will die down pretty soon. It was not as if people in Canada were not possessing and using pot before the legalization.
Old 28-10-2018, 02:16   #10

I tend to be in the camp that expects the initial 'Reefer Madness' response to be initially quite cumbersome then die down as DHS reaches an epiphany that most if not all of us with boats aren't crossing to get a head full of bong resin. In the final analysis I don't see anyone willing to risk seizure of their boat for a dope smoking junket.
Old 28-10-2018, 03:00   #11

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Neill View Post
Canada is a step ahead of the US in this regard. Their immigration laws are commendable as well.

Sure, just walk across the border and Canada will put you in a hotel, give you money and feed you for the 7 years it takes to fight out you refugee claim coming from America.

I think we have smoked too much weed already and obviously it has resulted in madness..
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 03:27   #12

Yes, without a doubt, Canada is about to see an invasion of Americans bigger than the War of 1812. Just look at what our northern neighbors are in for:
Old 10-01-2019, 05:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Price of pot is up since legalization, StatsCan finds
Taxes, supply problems and lack of competition have pushed up (±17%) the price of cannabis to $8.02 (Dec. 31/18) per gram from $6.83 (Oct. 17/18). Of the 385 price quotes it used from that period, half of those purchases were from legal suppliers. Legal pot costs more. The average price for dried cannabis from a legal supplier was $9.70 per gram, compared to $6.51 from illegal suppliers.
More ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pot...nada-1.4971537

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:18   #14

So far, legalization in Canada has been a big meh, as far as I can tell. I smell it a bit more often downtown... and that's it. No massive uptick in DUIs, no hospital ERs choked with freaked-out first-timers, no hordes of dope tourists.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:29   #15

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

This is a great subject and it has sparked many conversations here locally. As an ex police officer I personally struggle with the legalization of it however it is here to stay. Some of the conversations are with fellow dock neighbours and family. Typically after a weekend of cruising we often sit around the dock with cocktails. So instead of cocktails someone in the group lights up a joint, would you say anything?

I recently went to a restaurant where when you went outside to smoke there was a sign for cigarettes this way and marijuana the other way.

Yes it is legal now in Canada however not all of the logistics have been sorted out and this may still take some time.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, legal