Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 05:01   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Pearson 28 Mast sheave

Ran into a problem the end of this season with the Main sail sheave. Stuck a lot and hard to raise. Having the mast stepped this winter so I can fix it. Never done this before. Is this a job I can tackle myself?? Any suggestions are welcome..
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Pearson 28 Mast sheave

The mast sheaves rest on an axle that runs through the mast head fitting. Only problem with changing sheave is the axle may be corroded in place. Not necessarily true that it will be difficult to remove but it may be. The ones i've done have been a floating 1/2" rod held in place by a cap on one or both sides held on by either tapped screw(s) or pop rivet(s). Remove the fastener holding on the cap and fish out the axle pin. Easy to get the axle out if it hasn't corrosion welded itself in place. Personally haven't had any significant problems with the couple I've done. There probably are other ways to secure the sheave axle like running it through the masthead and using cotter pins or a bolt with locknut. In any case it's an easy job once you get the axles loose.

Garhauer is a good affordable source of replacements. Harken and probably others make ball bearing sheaves but they are pricey. garhauermarine.com
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 13:06   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I’ve done it. This is certainly something you can do. I recommend replacing both pins and all sheaves while you are at it if they show any wear or corrosion, just so you never worry about them again. By the way this is posted in multihull forum, you may want to post it in “engineering systems: construction maintenance and refit.”
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 13:25   #4

Thanks very much for the advice. She'll be out of the water in another couple of days so I'll take a look. But feel better about tackling it. All of this sounds doable. And I intend to change out all the sheaves while I'm working on it.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:22   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

More on Garhauer. They will custom make sheaves for you at reasonable prices. And their custom work carries their ten year guarantee.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:30   #6

Boat: Currently boatless

When I switched to all-rope halyards several years ago, I found that my then 30-year-old sheaves were in poor shape (surprise!). I had seen ads in Good Old Boat for a sheave manufacturer, http://www.zephyrwerks.com, in Washington state. After a couple of email exchanges with the proprieter, Ed Louchard, I ordered three custom-milled Delrin sheaves with brass axle holes. I'm extremely satisfied with the results. Louchard advises measuring sheaves which he said can vary boat-to-boat. Cost, including shipping was about $105 but they'll outlast me.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 C&C 27 Mark III Santiva
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I ordered from zephyr works also, great to deal with, I changed mine with mast up, you can do it on the ground. I had to drill a hole in the side of the mast to knock axle out with a drift.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:43   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

7 or 8 years ago I redid all my mast sheaves, I also used Zephyr replacement and went to all line halyards. They seem to be going strong, not really showing any real signs of wear, long since forgot what I paid for them. The job itself isn't really hard, I did it and if Capt. Bumble and Curse can do it I think most people can. Only thing is depending on how much corrosion there is on the axel you may have to use a little extra "encouragement" to get it to come loose...
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The mast sheaves rest on an axle that runs through the mast head fitting. Only problem with changing sheave is the axle may be corroded in place. Not necessarily true that it will be difficult to remove but it may be. The ones i've done have been a floating 1/2" rod held in place by a cap on one or both sides held on by either tapped screw(s) or pop rivet(s). Remove the fastener holding on the cap and fish out the axle pin. Easy to get the axle out if it hasn't corrosion welded itself in place. Personally haven't had any significant problems with the couple I've done. There probably are other ways to secure the sheave axle like running it through the masthead and using cotter pins or a bolt with locknut. In any case it's an easy job once you get the axles loose.

Garhauer is a good affordable source of replacements. Harken and probably others make ball bearing sheaves but they are pricey. garhauermarine.com

I finally had a chance to look at the system. Very straight forward. I got out one axel very easily. Carter pin and pushed it through. No corrosion and pin is perfect shape. The other axel is harder to get at but I can do it with time. The PROBLEM comes in with getting the sheave out. It moves freely around the axel and after I get it out but I can't get the sheave out. Thinking there may be a lip developed in the center of the sheave. Any suggestions on how to get the sheave out?? My system has two sheaves next to each other so I can't easily drive it through. Unless I drive both out which would no doubt damage both. That is not a problem but fearing damaging the inside for the new sheaves..

Tags
mast, pearson