Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2017, 11:04   #1

Possible applications in boating for new induction coil

Hello!

My name is Mark and I’m currently studying at the Vienna University of Economics and Business. With my team I’m working on a project for a German Science Institution involving a revolutionary induction coil.

Now I want to ask you if you could use the benefits of the coil for your job or one of your hobbies. The two main benefits of the coil are:
The coil can produce exact (+/- 3°C) temperatures from 30 to 400°C and the heat is distributed evenly without any peaks.
The size of the coil is variable, which means it can be adapted for for any kind of application. Also the coil is flexible and mouldable setting it apart from conventional coils.

Can you think of any fields of application where those benefits are needed? Or do you know any persons, who could maybe help us to identify fields of application for the coil?

Thank you in advance for your support! And if you have any questions please ask and I try to clarify.

Mark
teamspule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 11:58   #2
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Possible applications in boating for new induction coil

Hmmmm, like the induction coils on m stove that have been around for many many moons ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:55   #3

Well, it's the same technology, which is used in the stoves, but the big difference is that the coil is flexible. You have to imagine it like a heating towel for extreme temperatures.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Specs are needed like minimum size , power usage, factory set shapeing or end user adjustable both in size and or shape. Pictures or drawings of product ( visuals usually help the layperson visualize possible usages)
Old 05-11-2017, 17:02   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamspule View Post
Well, it's the same technology, which is used in the stoves, but the big difference is that the coil is flexible. You have to imagine it like a heating towel for extreme temperatures.
Hello Mark, interesting development and my first thought was the under marble heating blankets we use on Super yachts to heat the marble floors in bathrooms

The floor is floating on a very flexible wooden sub-floor made up of sound deadening materials, then an alloy subfloor with spikes to relieve stress on marble which has matched holes drilled into the marble.
Then heating blanket, and sealant applied before marble is laid down.

Alloy is used for weight and non corrosion over steel, so would that work with your IC?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Specs are needed like minimum size , power usage, factory set shapeing or end user adjustable both in size and or shape. Pictures or drawings of product ( visuals usually help the layperson visualize possible usages)
Hello newhaul,

thank you for your reply. Regarding your questions:
You can see the coil in the attached picture. The issue is that the product is not yet fully developed, which means I can't give you all the details, but the size and shape are adjustible as of now, because you always need metal, which is heated by the coil, so even though the coil may be bigger in size only the metal is ultimately heated. Furthermore you can watch this video (Video: Neuartiges Reparaturverfahren für faserverstärkte Kunststoffe – so funktioniert’s), if you don't speak German you can start at around 1:30. In the video the coil is used to repair damage to fiber-reinforced plastics.
My question is if you maybe know another use for the coil in a different field (sailing/boating).
Mark
Old 11-11-2017, 08:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hello Mark, interesting development and my first thought was the under marble heating blankets we use on Super yachts to heat the marble floors in bathrooms

The floor is floating on a very flexible wooden sub-floor made up of sound deadening materials, then an alloy subfloor with spikes to relieve stress on marble which has matched holes drilled into the marble.
Then heating blanket, and sealant applied before marble is laid down.

Alloy is used for weight and non corrosion over steel, so would that work with your IC?
Hello Pelagic
Ok so the layers are wood, alloy subfloor, heating blanket, sealant and marble in that order?
With our technology the heating blanket (in our case the IC) should be below the alloy subfloor and the subfloor would need to be able to carry electricity, but normally alloys can do that. If that is possible the technology should be able to be applied.
Mark

Tags
boat, boating, oil