Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2017, 22:49   #1

pirate Female Seeking crew opportunities to Baja Ha Ha

Hello, I'm currently seeking crew opportunities for the baja ha ha. I am a beginner but I have funds to contribute for the trip as well as I have signed up for sailing classes through college that will be complete before the trip and have participated in some day sailing.
{open to more of those if you are near the Long Beach}
i work hard and don't mind manual labor, as well as I am a people pleaser so naturally get along well with others and pull my weight.
Please keep me in mind if you or someone you know will be making the trip and is seeking crew.
soulseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 03:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
re: Female Seeking crew opportunities to Baja Ha Ha

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 05:34   #3

Boat: Currently in between

Certain non-sailing skills could have good value. For instance, if she is a great cook and companionship (better than talking to Wilson for 30 days).
Old 16-07-2017, 05:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Certain non-sailing skills could have good value. For instance, if she is a great cook and companionship (better than talking to Wilson for 30 days).
sure... if one needs company and a cook. My sense was this young lady wants to sail and learn and so on... experience on a sailboat. Fine. Not something I am terribly interested in.... but others may be. Not to mention she is young enough to almost be my grand daughter... the generation gap is likely too large.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 06:08   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Please be careful, not all people are good people and out of sight of land on a boat, you have no where to go.
I think of my Daughters, I'd be very concerned.
Consider crewing on a boat with a Married couple etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 06:46   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I just had 2 x 26 year old novice females on a 25 day passage and they were great.

Fortunately they were in the port I was in so I was able to meet them over a 2 week period to vet, and speak to some of their friends.

Its the first time I have taken crew on a passage so I was nervy as hell. But I may just do it again. (next passage in April 2018, 2,000nms UK to south of France)

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 06:56   #7

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I wanted to throw overboard my crew once. They were great friends and very good sailors. I would trust them on night watches etc. But there was a personality, who is captain, issue which I have never forgot. We were great friends for many years after that. That was the last time I had crew.

So experienced crew can be a good thing, bad thing. On the other hand, I know some experienced sailors that I know would make good crew - for me and the Admiral.

The HaHa is a relatively short hop and the crew can be thrown off or jump off at Cabo a few days later, and in some cases, find another boat to crew on at one of the two stops. What doesn't work for one boat may work on another.

The equally difficult thing is for the pickup crew to find a good boat/skipper/other crew. It could be great or it could be a nightmare. So make sure you click from the get-go and make sure expectations are thoroughly set before going aboard.

I don't think I would let a newbie do a night watch under any circumstances though.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 07:28   #8

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Not to mention she is young enough to almost be my grand daughter... the generation gap is likely too large.
I'm with ya there. If I was looking, and I'm not, I would want a couple and probably in their 50s. Guess what? There would still be a generation gap!
Old 16-07-2017, 07:38   #9

Boat: Cal 2-30

You might also contact sailing clubs. I've chartered with Marina Sailing in your area and people often need crew for Catalina trips etc.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 08:14   #10

Hang in there I'm sure you will find an appreciative captain willing to take on young crew,

I have sailed around the world one and a half times on my yacht and more than 20 times commercially and always took on young enthusiastic crew members which made the trips a great time, as much as the Captain might interview you, check him out as well, there's so many Capt Bligh's out there with idea's of grandeur once they set sail they are impossible to deal with. Real Captains will be skilled in crew relationships and dealing with crew issues, Go for a trial sail first and see if there's a lot of shouting going on?(apart from if hurricane conditions) if yes look else where!

Cheers
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 08:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

http://www.AbleMariners.com
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 09:00   #12

Boat: lancer 36

sorry you had so many ******** replies to a very simple request, give this guy a shout.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012082600928
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 09:20   #13

Boat: Nauticat 43

You are already off to a good start. Continue to get the word out. Check out latitude38.com for lots of info regarding the HaHa. There is a section to sign up called "Crew List", make sure you're on that list. You can also "show up" at the docks in San Diego a few days before the start and find a boat. Go to the party at West Marine the day before the start. Always skippers looking for crew and crew looking for boats. I've done the last 3 HaHa's as crew and absolutely loved it!!! Its amazing how many owners think they dont need crew and change their minds. You'll love the HaHa!!
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 10:44   #14

Boat: Gulf 32

Check through Latitude 38 back issues (available free as PDF on their website) and they have very detailed articles on their crewlist, crewlist parties (meet face to face beforehand, very key) etc. for getting on HaHa safely and successfully.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 10:50   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Interesting replies; I'm always glad to have new sailors on passage if we have room and they bring a good attitude. That's where the next generation will come from! In fact, we chose our current boat with a nice if small bunk bed crew cabin forward just to bring old (and new) friends with us from time to time. On the east coast these days but don't give up; there are lots of us who like novice crew; somehow they don't seem to stay novices!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, crew