Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 13:26   #1

Mooring Balls in the Great Lakes

Who can fill me in regarding the regulation of Mooring Balls in the Great Lakes? Can anyone put one down? Permit required? If so, who regulates them? Specifically wondering about Michigan.
Gteall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 13:56   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Mooring Balls in the Great Lakes

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/de...y_398749_7.pdf
Old 15-07-2016, 14:45   #3

Thanks Terry! Haven't read the docs your link refers to fully yet (odd that I had such trouble finding these). Any thoughts on putting one down in a bay surrounded by public land. If you're familiar with Michigan, Bessie Bay. Thanks again for the link. -g
Old 15-07-2016, 14:46   #4

That would be Bessie Bay.
Old 15-07-2016, 14:47   #5

Betsie (my smartphone does dumb things).
Old 15-07-2016, 15:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gteall View Post
Thanks Terry! Haven't read the docs your link refers to fully yet (odd that I had such trouble finding these). Any thoughts on putting one down in a bay surrounded by public land. If you're familiar with Michigan, Bessie Bay. Thanks again for the link. -g
If you look at the guidance on the first page, it sure looks like they assume you own the adjacent property to get a permit, so putting one on a bay surrounded by public land is probably out (at least using the form in the link).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 09:17   #7

Boat: Catfisher sloop w/ Mercedes & Catfisher 28' w/ Kubota

As soon as you request to install a permanent object on the bottom of Michigan waters the DEQ and the Army Corps of Engineers require permits. It's hard enough to get the permits when you own the bottom lands........I doubt if you can get permits on bottom land you don't own. You would also be required to have it marked on all charts and possibility carry liability insurance. As a boater I wouldn't want private mooring balls allowed.
Huey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 09:58   #8

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I have had a mooring in Ephraim WI since 1962. Actually my parents placed the mooring then - I took it over in 1994. The local town administers the program - there are about 3 dozen private mooring in the harbor. You own the gear and you must maintain it. There is a local person who you can contract with the do this.

In Wisconsin, each town that has a harbor administers the program with the approval of the state Dept of Natural Resources.

You may set a mooring in front of your property as well. There are minimal regulations for that.

However, placing a mooring in waters off public property (that is not part of the aforementioned mooring field) is not permitted. I have known folks who have done this and incurred significant penalties.
Old 16-07-2016, 19:58   #9

Boat: `99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 s/v Witchcraft

Betsie "bay" Lake, Frankfort, MI has a "special anchorage area" listed on the navigation charts. My experience is in Milwaukee, WI where the the charts list the same type area north & south of the South Shore Yacht Club. The areas have extensive mooring field where the moorings are privately owned and registered with the harbor master.

You "may" be able to do the same in the designated area in Betsie Lake. I would start by contacting the Frankfort Municipal Marina. We have used the transient docks there a number of time and do remember seeing boats on the ball to our east.
MSN-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes, mooring