Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 06:14   #1

Boat: Catalina 44
Standard Horizon VHF Ripoff

We purchased a Standard Horizon VHF (150) at West Marine and sent in the rebate form for $20, then went cruising for 6 weeks. When we returned, we deposited the $20 check which was promptly RETURNED UNPAID and our bank charged us $12. SH said, oh, sorry, we'll send you another check, but we're SOL for the $12 bank charge for returned items. Yeah, screw that.
We returned the Standard Horixon VHF to West Marine, told the manager what happened, and he said " I don't blame you". He then sold us a West Marine VHF and an extended warranty for 5 YEARS, so even if the battery fails, they'll swap it out for new battery or replace the entire radio if old model outdated. Good deal.
In our opinion, the Standard Horizon rebate, where you get 5 minutes to cash the check or they bounce it, is a scam and rip-off. Never again, steer clear
Tragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 07:00   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Standard Horizon VHF Ripoff

Usually with a rebate deal, the merchant waits 8 or 10 weeks before even mailing the check. Then when it shows up, it's disguised as much as possible to look like junk mail that should be thrown away without opening. So . . . kudos to SH for mailing the check promptly. . . .

But the bouncing thing is unforgivable after only 6 weeks. Maybe after a year, I could see them needing to close out the books, etc.

If the WM radio you got is the rebranded Uniden MHS235, we have one of those, and are quite happy with its performance.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 07:30   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

All the rebates stuff you know. I found this mostly BS and not related to any company but just to the way sales are done today.

I never take any rebates, coupons nor checks. I just ask for a discount and if I get it, I might then decide to buy more stuff with the same chandlery only to avoid coming back to the boat with any cash in my pocket.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:00   #4

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I've always had nothing but excellent customer service and experience with SH marine electronics. I will admit I don't give much consideration to rebates when deciding what to purchase, the quality for price is more important. I did get a rebate when I bought my GX2150 and I had no issues cashing the check.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 17:26   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 20' Boston Whaler Outrage

Tragnar,

I sincerely apologize for your negative experience with the Standard Horizon Gear Up for Summer Rebate, please note that we use a 3rd party rebate provider and the rebate checks have a 60 day expiration date. Please feel free to contact me direct to resolve your issue.

R. Jason Kennedy
Executive Vice President
Standard Horizon
(714)827-7600
StandardHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 19:53   #6

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandardHorizon View Post
Tragnar,

I sincerely apologize for your negative experience with the Standard Horizon Gear Up for Summer Rebate, please note that we use a 3rd party rebate provider and the rebate checks have a 60 day expiration date. Please feel free to contact me direct to resolve your issue.

R. Jason Kennedy
Executive Vice President
Standard Horizon
(714)827-7600
Are they located in Arizona? Lots of companies started using this outfit and there is a huge downturn in customer service satisfaction.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 20:16   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Don't get overly excited about the WM warranty. If you need to return it tomorrow for warranty, they will happily do it and then want to charge you again for the extended warranty on the new radio.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 21:01   #8

Boat: Catalina 387

Kudo's to SH for posting on a public forum to try to resolve an issue. Too bad they picked an (alleged) sucky 3rd party to handle rebates.

I really like my GX2150 with a RAM3 mic. It's a great radio. Only problem is that it's not a GX2200. I've even toyed with the idea of swapping out a perfectly great radio JUST to get the integrated GPS.

If the replacement WM is the Uniden MHS235, that's a good radio too - I have one and like it. My neighbor just got a HX870 and that radio is absolutely killer.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 21:08   #9

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Our mail is a box number in the country, and all rebates we've run into won't send to us. Now we tell the store exactly that and they pretty much always give us the rebate in store immediately. Saves a lot of time and hassle.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 21:26   #10

Boat: In Between Boats

You chose this 3rd party to represent your company. This game of using and blaming 3rd parties to legally shield liability and responsibility is pretty sad. Rethink that post.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 21:40   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts Content View Post
You chose this 3rd party to represent your company. This game of using and blaming 3rd parties to legally shield liability and responsibility is pretty sad. Rethink that post.

With all due respect, I think it is you that should perhaps re-think their post.

Tragnar, the OP, got a sincere apology and contact number direct from R. Jason Kennedy, Executive Vice President of Standard Horizon who opened himself to thousands of CF members to straighten out a $20 mishap. In my book that's not only an excellent way to handle customer care, but a model for others to follow.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 22:04   #12

Looks like this company has a history of good customer service.

Standard Horizon Customer Service - The Legend Continues - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

standard horizon md50 - SailNet Community
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 22:45   #13

Boat: Cascade 36

I myself am playing the "rebate game" with a B&G stuff. The original purchase date was in mid April. The rebate package was sent the day after I received the product. Fast forward to a few days ago, I finally check the website of the rebate company they are using for a status. My rebate was approved on 05/20/2016. I use the companies "auto chat" and the info I get is "it take 8-10 weeks to mail rebates out".

So it's been 3 months since I mailed them the stuff they need and I'm still waiting. The rebate form of course says 8-10 weeks.....blah..blah..blah...
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 13:05   #14

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
With all due respect, I think it is you that should perhaps re-think their post.

Tragnar, the OP, got a sincere apology and contact number direct from R. Jason Kennedy, Executive Vice President of Standard Horizon who opened himself to thousands of CF members to straighten out a $20 mishap. In my book that's not only an excellent way to handle customer care, but a model for others to follow.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
I have to absolutely agree with Tellie on this. I just installed a new GX-1700 yesterday and have my rebate form ready to go. I am very impressed with the fact that Mr. Kennedy showed up to fix a problem. BTW, I never made my purchase based on the rebate but rather SH's feature set and reputation and my past experience with their products. The VHF was easy to install and seems to have a much better range than my old one so here's hoping my rebate cheque is uneventful too.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 17:49   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I have purchased five Standard Horizon radios over the last forty years. Each has worked perfectly. Two were replaced just to upgrade and I currently have three (two are handheld units). I don't recall my current units model number but it incorporates an AIS receiver and GPS. It's just fantastic. I think that the Executive V.P. is a stand up guy just for responding. That's what I call real customer service.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf