Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 15:25   #16

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
Disclaimer: I have a Catalina, frequently accused of being "lightly built".
In our former marina, I saw a Bene that had been holed at the bow and was on the hard for hull repair. The glass was surprisingly thin.
On the other hand, I was where they built Valiants: hand layup, solid glass.
Now, there is one stoutly-built hull!
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 13:03   #17

Boat: beneteau,first 375 serenity
beneteaus,etc

this is for bg9208.......i own a 1985 beneteau first 375.it is in marathon florida on the hard.i am thinking of selling her.i have reached that age when sailing becomes a lot of work.i have lived aboard her for 10 years and was very happy.e-mail me if you want ...mepackard@hotmail.com.....thanks,mark
serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 13:41   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
Disclaimer: I have a Catalina, frequently accused of being "lightly built".
In our former marina, I saw a Bene that had been holed at the bow and was on the hard for hull repair. The glass was surprisingly thin.
On the other hand, I was where they built Valiants: hand layup, solid glass.
Now, there is one stoutly-built hull!

A thicker lay-up does not necessarily translate into a stronger hull. Beneteau hulls are also solid glass although being solid glass might not be stronger than a cored hull. There is no magic to a solid glass hull. It's just that many prefer solid glass to cored hulls, the main reason being that they are more easily repaired and easily understood.
Old 09-12-2008, 13:51   #19

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
A thicker lay-up does not necessarily translate into a stronger hull. Beneteau hulls are also solid glass although being solid glass might not be stronger than a cored hull. There is no magic to a solid glass hull. It's just that many prefer solid glass to cored hulls, the main reason being that they are more easily repaired and easily understood.
I agree about the solid versus cored issue. Re: the Beneteau, it was REALLY thin....I do believe that for equivalent boats with same materials (glass fiber, resin) and similar layup techniques, thicker DOES mean stronger. Now, if you begin to change techniques of layup, such as resin infusion, and vacuum bagging to change resin to fiber ratios and minimize voids, there IS a difference!

Rocky
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 14:58   #20

I am also in the market and I'm leaning towards the Jenni's for price and easy cruising. I have talked to many skippers that refuse to sail on or consider a Bavaria. Just passing on their opinions. Hope this helps.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 16:16   #21

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
I agree about the solid versus cored issue. Re: the Beneteau, it was REALLY thin....I do believe that for equivalent boats with same materials (glass fiber, resin) and similar layup techniques, thicker DOES mean stronger. Now, if you begin to change techniques of layup, such as resin infusion, and vacuum bagging to change resin to fiber ratios and minimize voids, there IS a difference!

Rocky
I have owned both Catalinas and Beneteaus and have drilled the hulls of both and I can tell you from personal experience that each hull is similarly built and similar thickness. "Thicker DOES mean stronger" is a myopic view of marine construction. Do you think the bow of an icebreaker is thicker than that of an aircraft carrier? Well, the short answer is no but you would not take the carrier into the southern ice. The point being that the construction of a boat is the sum of its hull, ribs, deck, attachments, etc, etc, etc.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 17:19   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg9208 View Post
input from satisfied (or unhappy) owners would be appreciated.
TAI
Whatnot@free.fr
We have just finished 9,000 miles and are completely happy with our Beneteau 393
We would buy another anytime and in the future when we have some more cash we will have a new one built.

Next year we head to Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and then the Med. I wouldn't be doing that is I wasnt happy with the way the boat performed in the last 9,000 NM's!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 18:39   #23

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
My brother-in-law, who is a very experienced offshore sailor, recently chartered a Jenneau 42DS. He reckoned it was nice enough but was less than impressed by its performance under sail (he does mostly sail on quick race boats though).
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 19:10   #24

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Bavaria's are OK

I know a person who took their Bavaria 37 (2003 or so model) on a trip from Dubai to Malaysia. They unfortunately were hit 2 times by the same typhoon on this trip. The boat was knocked down several times and suffered no damage! Everyone aboard faired well (considering the circumstances).

Now, with all that being said, the boat did require some "preparation" for going offshore (for example the lazerettes required much improved water sealing and latches). I also worry a bit about parts availability (and prices) for the Volvo engines they use (depending on where you are at the time of failure). Bavaria builds about 3,000 boats per year, and only had keel problems with the one model (Match = racing) in 2005. Many other (brands) boats have also suffered keel failures (some much more recently) but for some reason this one is always referenced.

Don't misunderstand me, if offshore seaworthiness is your #1 consideration, there are other brands I would pick ahead of Bavaria. However, compared to the others you listed, there is nothing wrong with Bavaria. If buying second hand, just ensure that it has been well maintained and have it surveyed by a reputable surveyor and it should be able to meet your needs.
I like my Bavaria 36, but I have never taken it offshore,

Tom
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 01:13   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehoser75 View Post
Don't misunderstand me, if offshore seaworthiness is your #1 consideration, there are other brands I would pick ahead of Bavaria.
Yes, but if you saved enough for one of the 'other brands' you may never go cruising at all!

The production boats have given the 'real' people of the world the chance to do what only the rich want to be able to do. The rich will slag off the production boats because they don't want you to sup from their chalice!

Think about it

Mark

Old 16-12-2008, 02:46   #26

Boat: Boatless
Sailed all three in bad weather (F7-8) in the Channel ...Jeanneau is the best sea boat by a long shot especially the older ones.

Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 02:54   #27

Boat: Finn Express 83 - Lorelei (27')
Send a message via Skype™ to topi
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Sailed all three in bad weather (F7-8) in the Channel ...Jeanneau is the best sea boat by a long shot especially the older ones.

Phil

Hello,
I'd like to resurrect this 2-year old thread. The reason is that a lot of the discussion on this forum is about US-built boats, which are not easily found here in the European market. Hence, for cost & availability reasons, I've been looking at some mass-produced European brands.

I've tried to read a lot of magazines and articles and everything about boat building. One reason why I was drawn towards old Jeanneau boats (built in 70s-80s) is the amount of articles I found that praised their laminating work that was done manually and using conservative methods. I guess fiberglass boats are a pretty durable investment, but only if the manual work laying out the fibreglass has been done in a professional and consistent manner.

Has anyone heard of any de-lamination problems of 80s Jeanneaus? That might be enough to put it down my shopping list. So far I've been looking into Jeanneay Melodys, a Sunshine 38, and a Sun Legende 41. Everything from the 80s

My personal needs are simple: I just need a boat that will take me around the world. Of course this means, that I have to re-new the standing rigging before setting sail. But the most important thing is a durable hull that does not leak at deck-rail-joints.

topi
topi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 05:14   #28

Boat: Oceanis 411
I'm very happy with my Beneteau 411.
Great family(4) weekend or week cruiser.
Old 25-06-2010, 04:16   #29
CFR

Reinke are famous for DIY builder in germany, strong simple construction BUT as DIY you have to check each one very carefully . if Reinkle ONLY take Alumiunium oes because you never know what the builder did on the inside of the steel hull. you can be licky to get something nice in the price range because market for DIY is allways very difficult. I was long going for a Amel Maramu which is a nice an solide basis but ended now with a 44 aluminium one whichs foolows the same idea like amel. deep center cockpit etc.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 07:53   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by topi View Post
. Of course this means, that I have to re-new the standing rigging before setting sail. But the most important thing is a durable hull that does not leak at deck-rail-joints.

topi
Why would re-newing standing rigging be an 'of course'?

I wouldnt buy aboat that needed the standing rigging replaced. Especially on an 80's production boat. The cost would be half the value of the boat unless you do it yourself in the USA or Trinadad...

Mark

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, jeanneau