Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2017, 13:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dufour Atoll 43

Dufour Atoll 43

Steady's Notes:
I am posting this to help a new CF member get some info on this particular boat model. Feel free to view it and add your own comments or opinions or experiences with this boat model. There is little information within the CF Archives, with only a few previous comments on this model from several years ago, so perhaps a new thread on this boat will help others.

My view?

"The Mono that wanted to be a Cat."

I don't find the boat attractive, but it was designed for a purpose or market. Other boats (there is a Beneteau model) also tried to bring features that were selling catamarans to the mono buyers.

Obviously the boat is designed for the charter market. The noteworthy features are a wide (beamy) boat with a large open cockpit and saloon/galley area. It has twin wheels, a high "pilot house" type cabin, an open transom that allows easy boarding in typical Med Mooring style (backed up to a quay), and a forward "lounging cockpit" for guests (no trampoline on a mono, so that well will have to do). The boat has four double berths and two heads. The galley is UP and open to the cockpit. I mention "open" and that seems to be the most significant feature of this type of design: the desire to have an open galley/saloon/cockpit that allows the guests to enjoy lounging around, eating, and jumping into the water from the open stern.

I have not sailed on this boat, so cannot comment on it's sailing abilities. However, one should note the specifications say it has a SA/D ratio of 19.99 and that is higher than many boats.

One of the common criticisms of most pilot house boats is the restricted visibility forward from an aft cockpit. In other words, the high deckhouse or pilot house makes it difficult to see forward if you are at an aft cockpit helm position.

If you look at the photos of this boat sailing, I think it is possible this would be a problem for the helmsman on these boats (and appears to be for the helmsman in one of the promotional photos as he is peering around the high cabin), especially if they are using a deck sweeping Genoa sail. While it is possible to look through the deckhouse when the boat is flat, if it is sailing heeled, it may be impossible to see forward (or it appears that way to me). What do you think?

Specifications

Fin w/spade rudder Rig Type: Fractional Sloop
LOA: 43.00' / 13.11m LWL:
Beam: 15.16' / 4.62m Listed SA: 946 ft2 / 87.88 m2
Draft (max.) 5.25' / 1.60m Draft (min.)
Displacement: 20950 lbs./ 9503 kgs. Ballast: 2200 lbs. / 998 kgs.
Sail Area/Disp.1: 19.99 Bal./Disp.: 10.50% Disp./Len.:
Designer: Philippe Briand
Builder: Dufour (FRA)
Construction: FG Bal. type:
First Built: 1998
TANKS
Water: 275 gals. / 1041 ltrs. Fuel: 235 gals. / 889 ltrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 stern.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	150098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 water2.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	150099  

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 wing keel.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	150100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 sailing stern.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	150101  

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 med moor.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	150102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 cockpit.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	150103  

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 dock.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	150104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 PLAN.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	150105  

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 sailing fwd above.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	150107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 sailing fwd.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	150108  

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 profile.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	150109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 layouts.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	150110  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 13:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Dufour Atoll 43

These photos show some of the biggest selling features of this boat:
the openness of the cockpit and galley/saloon area.

Also, notice the styling of the berths or "staterooms" or "cabins."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 cockpit crew.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	150111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 cockpit high.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	150112  

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 Cockpit saloon.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	150113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 galley aft.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	150114  

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 interior.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	150115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 berth aft.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	150116  

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 Berth fwd.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	150117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufour Atoll 43 berth fwd2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	150118  

Old 18-06-2017, 13:45   #3

What are you supposed to do with a dinghy?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 14:08   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
And I wonder where they store those ten fenders s hown arrayed along the port side in one photo?

The visibility does look pretty impaired from the photos as SH states.

All in all, from the supposedly favorable point of view of the promotional info, it looks great... until you actually want to go sailing/cruising in it. Not my cup of tea at all...

Jim

PS All the above from a quick look at the posted info... no personal experience whatsoever, so my opinions are not all that persuasive, even to me!
Old 18-06-2017, 15:00   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Looks like a great platform for someone's weekend home on the water. This isn't a "sailors" boat, but it is nice and airy with great views while at anchor.... which is where most of the time is spent anyway. Easy to clean also seemed to be an objective in the design, but in this case, it looks way too stark inside with all that white gelcoat.

If you need better looking, just get Moody's version.

Matt
Old 18-06-2017, 15:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Good question.
I suppose they are built for the Mediterranean and expect to back into a berth in ports they visit. Or deflate the dinghy and roll it up and stow it on the stern. ??

One of the things I like about a big catamaran is the position of dinghy between the hulls on the stern.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.
Old 18-06-2017, 15:08   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And I wonder where they store those ten fenders s hown arrayed along the port side in one photo?

The visibility does look pretty impaired from the photos as SH states.

All in all, from the supposedly favorable point of view of the promotional info, it looks great... until you actually want to go sailing/cruising in it. Not my cup of tea at all...

Jim

PS All the above from a quick look at the posted info... no personal experience whatsoever, so my opinions are not all that persuasive, even to me!
Jim,

Thanks for participating in this discussion.

I think all comments from sailors can be useful. While this boat is not my cuppa tea, it was designed for a purpose.

I believe each boat will have its strengths and weaknesses, compared to other designs, as each is a compromise.

I don't think the potential buyer of this model of boat should be afraid of criticism of the design. It is an "odd duck" in the pond and looks like a hybrid. I think all unusual boat (or vehicle) designs are subject to criticism, and that is good. It exposes the weaknesses of the designs, and gives us sailors something else to consider.

I do appreciate your observations. I hope other CF Members will also offer their views, because that is what this thread is about. Of course it is good when a thread gets comments from people who have owned or sailed on a particular design, but I also think everyone should be prepared to hear criticisms of design features, from anyone, especially if they are considering purchase of a boat that is unusual. It helps to know what others see.
Old 18-06-2017, 15:12   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Looks like a great platform for someone's weekend home on the water. This isn't a "sailors" boat, but it is nice and airy with great views while at anchor.... which is where most of the time is spent anyway. Easy to clean also seemed to be an objective in the design, but in this case, it looks way too stark inside with all that white gelcoat.

If you need better looking, just get Moody's version.

Matt
Yes. Good comments.

When I saw the cabins on this boat, my initial impression was: "spartan, plain, simple, utilitarian, easy to make."

I like a white interior on a wood boat, and some fiberglass boats pull it off nicely too. But, in this case, the interior photos show a very simple, plain, finish to the interior design. That may appeal to some owners (or charter companies) because it would be easy to clean and show little wear.

To each his own taste. This one is just not for me.
Old 19-06-2017, 07:24   #9

Boat: Beneteau 393

Hi everyone
I'm the new CF member Steady Hand is helping out I'm trying to figure out what boat to buy. Here is my story.
55 years old Canadian born to Greek immigrants from Lefkas Ionian Greece. Spent most of my summers while in school their on boats all boats any boat ...life was good. Engineering degree in hand life, career, love, house all kick in and before you know it I'm 55. Spent 3 months last winter in Lefkas in our family's home and my wife and I loved it. She proposed to cash in and retire and split time land and sea. You know what they say.... happy wife happy life. Wink wink
Now I have been hooked on CF while my 3 months stay in Greece 18 months ago easy over 1000 hrs and another 1000 looking at boats to buy. My problem is I love them all, most are out of budget $65000 eur and 5-15 to get it going 38-45 ft
How and where I will use the boat?
Ionian waters are ideal for beginners mostly calm days breezy afternoons winter months a little more wind. Would like to use boat year round some really nice windy winter days. Spending time looking for and being in quiet anchorages enjoying scenery snorkelling and basically spending time in cockpit a couple of days at a time and building miles confidence in our selfs and the boat for a season or two. We will both take formal training and are both dedicated to being able to handle the boat single handed.Then eventually the rest of the Mediterranean for longer trips each summer again mostly enjoying anchoring away from the crowds.
I love the look of old heavy displacement such as Tanya or csy, but not practical getting on or off going for a swim and would end up motoring most of the time with winds in the Ionian. Heavy on maintenance
Medium displacement boats from 80-90 such as moody 376 or jeanneau 1100eclipse sunfizz first 42 with rear boarding scoop seem to me as more reasonable choices for my application,but cockpits are tight for 4 people
Grand soleil and swans have beautiful lines and are works of art but not affordable
Light displacement between 2000-2010 are Beamer and cockpits are slightly larger bene393 as an example are possible contenders
Then I see this ugly duckling the atoll 43
At first look wasn't interested but if I look at pros and cons and what I would be using it for I keep coming back to it
Pros in my mind
At anchor or marina 80% of use can't find a better layout

Large cockpit 6-8 people can eat and socialize comfortably
Large bow area for sunbathing and storing dingy on longer trips
Large dodger for a few solar panels and shade
Motor access excellent, no Volvo no saildrive pluses in my mind
Hull access
Easy to keep clean
Solid construction
Actually spending time outside instead of in the basement
Can't find any cons at anchor can you?

Now the other 20% of the time
This is where I need help. Could use actual sail time comments and feedback

I can see this boat will no react or sail like a racer, windage shallow draft .....but I need to find out if it's more a motor-sailer or a cruiser, need firsthand experience comments

Looks are personal and this one is growing on me simply because of the perfect anchorage score in my mind.
BUT...... I do want to sail !!!

Any feedback or other good options ?

zavman
zavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 11:20   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ZAVMAN,

You made a very good post describing your goals, needs, background, experience, preferences, and your sailing situation and location.

That helps others understand. Well done!

I wish every new member who wanted suggestions about a boat did the same.

Now...to wait and see if any owners of this boat model can provide those insights you want from their experience on their boats.

Here is another suggestion: You seem focused on a single boat model. You could do some online research to find the charter companies who are using this model of boat, or have used it in the past. Ask them for their gripes, complaints, tips or possible problems they experienced. See if you can speak with their head of maintenance for their fleet, and suggest to do that when they are "off work." If you find one that has lots of experience with the boat, offer to pay them for their time on a skype call with you so you can speak freely in a conversation. IF they still have some in their fleet, see if you can charter one for a few days to get some time on it before purchasing one, and if you like it, consider purchasing one from their fleet (for a good price). If you do those things, it may cost you a little time, a little money, but it could save you some big money and big problems later.

Good luck on your boat hunt.
Old 19-06-2017, 12:05   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I won't go so far as to say Google is your friend, but it can be a resource:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...=1497899118734
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 13:21   #12

Boat: PDQ 36

One thing that shows up for me on this boat, is no ventilation in the bunks. When it's hot, you have to have ventilation to sleep.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour