Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 04:15   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Traveling Food

It's one thing to cook dockside with local stores, electricity and a stable platform ... it's another thing to cook on a daysail(or bring along KFC-chicken)...

But when sailing(and motoring), long monotonous distances ... some canal ... some open water, and all single-handed, what are some of the better, easily "prepared foods(low sodium-no jerky stuff), with "easy" cleanup, and virtually no resultant trash ... oh yeh ... and something that might even taste good ... at a somewhat normal cost(no camping-type freeze-dried, high-priced cardboard)?

I expect to have a small stove(single burner), and a very well insulated refrigerator(turned up to conserve power), on a Bristol 29 ... late out of the gates through the Erie Canal and points south ... somewhere to lay over for winter(doesn't need to be "warm", just needs to not be too cold(not like Ohio), and someplace where there's lots of "affordable", dockage.

A somewhat nearby VA Hospital would be nice too...

While we're at it, are personally prepared dehydrated foods(like tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.) actually as "good" tasting as I often hear ... or sad substitute for flavor? I've freeze dried a number of things, but, never got around to actually tasting my products.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:10   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Traveling Food

I like Tasty Bites (tastybite.com). They come in pouches that you can reheat in boiling water, so the pot stays clean. no refrigeration needed. And they taste pretty good, if you like Indian cuisine. Available at your local supermarket, or Costco.
Old 06-09-2016, 15:54   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I once looked into making pemmican for family backpacking trips. There are many types you can make, and you can alter the ingredients and seasonings. If it sounds like a possible fit for you, Google "pemmican recipes," and you'll be surprised at the variety.

Ann
Old 06-09-2016, 16:06   #4

Second on the Indian foil pouch. We've had it with nan, roti, rice or plain. Foil packs can be stored easily and the trash is already compact. I've actually boiled rice in the same pot.

Avoid freeze dried - hydration does nothing for texture and needing water isn't a positive. We don't usually need decades of shelf life.

I also like packed tofu - doesn't need refrigeration and you can quickly make a soup, noodles with that. Maybe a container miso.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 18:52   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Second on the Indian foil pouch. We've had it with nan, roti, rice or plain. Foil packs can be stored easily and the trash is already compact. I've actually boiled rice in the same pot.
They also sell basmati rice in a pouch also, so you can heat up a complete meal in a pot of salt water, without having to wash the pot afterwards!
Old 06-09-2016, 19:02   #6

Get a pressure cooker and learn to "can" food. There have been plenty of discussions on CF about preserving food in jars as well as other methods. It is not rocket science.

Once the food is preserved all you have to do is reheat. Since you made the food you know what is in it and you can make the food to your tastes. Cheaper than store bought and it does not take up precious fridge/freezer space nor require power to store for years.

The only trash you have from canning is the lids are use once but it is easy to store them and I use them to seal jars but not for pressure preserving. Just reheat the jarred food, eat, and the clean up the jar to be reused again.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food