Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 21:42   #1

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 46' Style
Jeanneau 479 vs. Bavaria Cruiser 46

Hello everyone,

We consider buying a brand new monohull. We've narrowed our choice to the two above mentioned yachts.

Can anyone point out the general differences between the Jeanneau and Bavaria quality and also refer to specific models differences if possible?

For example, the Bavaria 46 weighs 1.8 ton more than the Jeanneau 479, what makes the difference?

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yoavorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 00:07   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Jeanneau 479 vs. Bavaria Cruiser 46

One disappointment we had with the B46 was the decks. The faux teak was crazy hot in the sun and the non-skid has this Lego type pattern that is uncomfortable on our bare feet. We ruled it out because if those issues. Otherwise, a really nice looking and well laid out modern cruiser. I hear it sails well, too. Enjoy your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 02:05   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

The Bav was designed by Bruce Farr; expect it to sail well.

I had a Bavaria 46 Exclusive from 1997... the days when Bav was still a custom boat builder. We were not disappointed with any of its performance or features. If it was me... I would dispense with teak decks for 2 reasons: hot under foot and tedious/expensive to keep up/repair. Wear boat shoes on deck = fewer broken toes!

I would also ask for a cutter rig, install large genoa electrical winches and definitely install a bow thruster. Depending where you want to sail, get a large bimini, a proper quality genset with 3 cylinders and max 1600 rpm operating speed(Onan, Northern Lights, Westerbeke come to mind.. forget Lombardini). Install reverse cycle AC and water maker and the world s your oyster.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 02:47   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

The Bav was designed by Bruce Farr; expect it to sail well.

I had a Bavaria 46 Exclusive from 1997... the days when Bav was still a custom boat builder. We were not disappointed with any of its performance or features. If it was me... I would dispense with teak decks for 2 reasons: hot under foot and tedious/expensive to keep up/repair. Wear boat shoes on deck = fewer broken toes!

I would also ask for a cutter rig, install large genoa electrical winches and definitely install a bow thruster. (For the moment, I'd not go into the automated "move sideways" magical devices. They are not reliable enough.) Depending where you want to sail, get a large bimini, a proper quality genset with 3 cylinders and max 1500/1600 rpm operating speed(Onan, Northern Lights, Westerbeke come to mind.. forget Lombardini). Install reverse cycle AC and water maker and the world's your oyster.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:23   #5

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

I have owned a Bavaria Vision 46 for 1.5 years and have been very happy with the boat. The quality level has been excellent with very few issues. It sails excellent. I chose the upgraded sails and added a asymmetric spinnaker on a furler. We had a similar decision to make between brands and we have been very happy with our choice. If you decide on the Bavaria feel free to PM me. I have a lot of experience with all of the options. Good luck!!
TheWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 10:19   #6

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

For 60 cycle gen set. RPM's are either 1800 or 3600. You would have serious issues if only turning 1600.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 13:22   #7

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 46' Style

Thanks everyone.
Seems there is a lot of experience going around with the Bavaria 46, not so much with the Jeanneau 479...
Anyone to support the Jeanneau...?

yoavorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 13:26   #8

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

It's French .....
Old 23-12-2015, 20:03   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Jeanneau 479 vs. Bavaria Cruiser 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoavorion View Post
Thanks everyone.
Seems there is a lot of experience going around with the Bavaria 46, not so much with the Jeanneau 479...
Anyone to support the Jeanneau...?

Yachting World sees Bavaria as third best, Jeanneau is second. Y ou can find their Bavaria refs that support this view
http://youtu.be/94vvD7lMQs8
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 23:37   #10

Boat: Anchor Yachts, Compass 47 "Enigma"

althought similar custom boats those days I think the Jeanneau sail better, upwind and looking in the design, finnish, hull seaworthiness is "more boat", and not a coastal nice yacht.
Have a lot experience with both(delivers and private yachts). the bavaria is a less "performance" cruiser yacht but more lego assembled, and possible "KISS"
Bavaria vision 46 for polar curves
http://www2.solovela.net/immagini/ac...ia46Vision.pdf
Jeanneau 479
Polar Curves - Jeanneau 479 Sun Odyssey
For sailing &bPedigree the Jeanneau do it nicer and better
for marina live aboard the Bavaria gains
gerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 05:43   #11

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Not firsthand experience, but a close friend and experienced sailing instructor and charter captain recently chartered a large Bavaria in Greece. He was very impressed with the attention to small details, quality of hardware and overall layout of the vessel. He talked to another sailor, who owned a similar-aged Bavaria, who said that the company reorganized post 2009 and started working toward a higher quality, yet still high-production, yacht.

While either is probably a very sound design, you will probably find little things that make a difference to you personally. That would be the tipping point, IMO.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 08:37   #12

Boat: Beneteau

Jeanneau is just that much sexier. May not amount to much as it's only my 2 cents worth. My father in law always quotes the thing of beauty being a joy forever when discussing his boats but then he's a tugboat owner.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 12:34   #13

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Yachting World sees Bavaria as third best, Jeanneau is second. Y ou can find their Bavaria refs that support this view
http://youtu.be/94vvD7lMQs8
That has nothing to do. The 46 is a different design from the 37. Both are designed by Farr but the 37 does not sail very well and the 46 does sail well.

I would say that the Jeanneau would be a bit faster but the Bavaria 46 won last year European boat of the year and the reasons given buy the testers from many of the main European magazines was that the Bavaria does not only sails well but it is built in a stronger way than the competition (and they were not talking about the furniture).

I don't think it is something substantial but worth to mention.

Anyway I don't think that would make any difference on the first 10 or 15 years of boat live, but after that probably the Bavaria would be a better choice. But as you are buying new, the resale value of the boats is not different and probably in 10 or 15 years you would have another sailing boat, probably that would not make any difference in what regards your choice.

Personally I like more the Jeanneau design and the Jeanneau interior.
If you want a better finnish regarding Bavaria have the Vision 46 instead of the Cruiser 46.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 14:03   #14

[TheWingman;
I just ordered a new Bavaria Vision 46 for delivery in april 2016 in Lake Erie.

I'm upgrading from a Jeanneau SO33i.

Spent many hours comparing the Jeanneau DS to the Vision and then decided that we likes the style and features of the Bav.

Floor creaking and fit issues on the Jeau put it second on our list.

Where are you sailing your Vision?

stuart
StuartBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:26   #15

Wingman,
Where are you sailing your vision? I ordered a Vision 46 with an April delivery in Lake Erie.

Stuart
StuartBaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, cruise, cruiser, jeanneau