Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2017, 00:57   #1

Winter 2017-2018 - Turkey?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on Turkey for wintering this year. We are new cruisers (Lagoon 380), setting sail from Lavrio (Greece) around mid August, and looking to get in 2 or so months of island sailing before the weather drops off. Hoping by then, to be on the Turkish coast aiming for Anatalya area.
Has anyone got any suggestions on a decent (but hopefully not too expensive marina)? I'm not worried about the political turmoil in Turkey, just looking for somewhere to rest up and work on the boat.

Any help advice gratefully received.
beakereel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 09:44   #2

Re: Winter 2017-2018 - Turkey?

Hi i holiday in turkey 4 times a year and intended to retire early and either buy or rent a property or buy a liveaboard and sail the turkish coast and greece during the summer months and park for the winter , I don't know if you have been to antalya but it is a turkish disney full of enormous 5 star hotels with a lot of afluent rich people visiting so i would imagine the marina's there will be pretty expensive , I myself would winter in fethyia where the is a very large marina and a lot of sheltered bays around the area if you wanted to free anchor , Also there is a large market there for every imiginable item you could ever need , As for troubles in turkey i would say at the moment there is more elsewhere in the world , Good luck with your plans and i,m sure it will be an experience of a lifetime
insignia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 16:24   #3

Re: Winter 2017-2018 - Turkey?

Hi Beakereel,

Totally jealous here, btw!

Okay so check out the post under "destinations" and "Europe". Yeloya just created a cruising Turkey thread. She is very knowledgeable since she is in the biz out of Marmaris, for a long time now.

A poster there responded with frightening day rates for his L45 (which I believe could be too high based on some of my local knowledge and online research).

There too I posted a link to a thread with annual rates from ybw.com, 2015 data. I have not cruised there but have spent months by land and have family who is there a few months a year. We're in the US and no we also are not scarred off by the political/terrorist stuff....we still thinks it's safer there than here, today's US headlines only backing that up.

I vote Turquoise Coast. My suggestions/experience:
Kalkan -small, a little more Euro and lots of Brits.
Kas - newish marina, walking access to town and i think a pool is included. One of the prettiest places in T. Town is more bohemian, my fav, more of a mix of cultures than Kalkan maybe a little more to do too and your a short ferry across from Greece - (Kastellorizo).
Fethiye - a proper city, busier year round. More marina services. Good hub for inland travel.

Bodrum rocks but it's $$ at their marinas.

Marmaris has a ton of yachties in the Winter but I haven't been there but what from Turkish friends say they agree with the three I mentioned.

The buses are great and cheap in T. For winter inland travels or to get you to Dalamam or Antalya for flights.

S/V Bebe (Amel, 53 I think) has a great blog of these regions along with detailed financials.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey