Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2017, 11:03   #1

Boat: nauticat 44
Boating in Philippines

My wife and I are seriously considering bringing our 44' Nauticat Motorsailor from the Chesapeake Bay to Manila. However, there seem to be so many issues. First, we can't obtain insurance for the trip. Next, when we arrive in the Philippines the insurance rates quoted to us are 4 times higher than the same coverage in the U.S.A. Here we pay about 1200 a year. There it is almost 5000. Then there seems to be no end of rules and regulations once we arrive there. The very long journey itself (about 13000 miles) is many months long and there are long stretches of open ocean to cross. This is quite daunting alone. Finally, we read many stories of items stolen from boats, poor support/services/parts and super expensive costs charged to 'rich Americans' in the Philippines. It all seems to add up to a no go decision for us right now. The pity is that my wife is a Filipino and I have been to Manila 11 times. Her entire family lives in the Manila area. And there is so much to see on the water among the many islands that it really appealed to us. We even considered shipping the boat there but it was way over 30000. We could sure use some HONEST comments from fellow boaters who have ACTUAL experience with the Philippines. We are dreamers but also don't want to push up against realities that are not possible. PLEASE.............your thoughts either + or -. MANY thanks.

Michael and Merly

4109132330 (USA cell phone)

We are currently in Baltimore, Md.
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 11:49   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: boating in Philippines

Might the current state of Martial Law there at the moment play into things just a little bit? Call me simple minded, but such a thing is a big sign saying Stay Away for me.
Though yes, it is sad, given some of the good points about the area.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 15:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

American here in Philippines.
#1 It depends on what costs you look at.

#2 Firstly there is the cost of not enjoying one of the most enjoyable trips across the Pacific. If you complain about time and distance are you really a cruiser? Think about how enjoyable it will be to do the Panama canal, an easy downwind sail to the Philippines stopping at remote islands in FSM and Palau. And and days at sea on an easy tradewind is an extremely valuable return you would be giving up. Hugging near the equator you have zero typhoon risk.

#3 What is the insurance for? I can understand buying it if cheap and in high crime areas like the USA, however why insure in the Philippines? Are you planning to sail dangerously?

#4 Oh I know you are worried about typhoons in Luzon. So what! Your boat is built to take strong winds and you won't have canvas up. If that afraid, during the narrow window Luzon is at risk, sail to Palawan and enjoy an island hit once every ten years.

#5 I buy sailboat and engine parts on eBay and ship from USA. I have had engine parts shipped in. Heavy damperplates, $200, shipping $60. Zero import duty if done via Johnny Air or My Shopping Box.
You have that Ford 120 hp? Great engine for here and likely all parts too.

#6 Most things I find here.

#7 For 8 years I have never locked my boat or bike. Yes Mindanao has problems. But don't let one tiny corner of the Philippines pollute your mind as others have suggested. To me, sailing wisely in the Philippines is still far safer than stepping foot in most of the Caribbean.

#8 Just two on vessel this size, I would say watermaker optional. You will collect rain water and have multiple places to stop.

Asa ka pa.

Philip
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 16:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

PS Likely you can sell your vessel in the United States and buy a similar one here in the Philippines. the difference would likely pay for first-class airfare to the Philippines.

However, you would miss the entire trip across the Pacific. That to me is priceless.

I highly recommend that you do not listen to any Americans unless the American is an experienced cruiser with transpacific experience and lives in the Philippines like myself.

I too used to be a very skittish American.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 17:30   #5

That's a very scary place right now with a lunatic in charge. And long passages are highly overrated...
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 18:14   #6

Boat: Tartan 3000

Just returned from the annual 3 month in the Philippines. Phils are great but do not see any advantage to having a boat in the phils. Just another possession to safeguard. As you know, rooms or hotels are very cheap, more convenient than living on your boat. Up to you.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 19:15   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

#2 Firstly there is the cost of not enjoying one of the most enjoyable trips across the Pacific. If you complain about time and distance are you really a cruiser? Think about how enjoyable it will be to do the Panama canal, an easy downwind sail to the Philippines stopping at remote islands in FSM and Palau. And and days at sea on an easy tradewind is an extremely valuable return you would be giving up. Hugging near the equator you have zero typhoon risk.

#3 What is the insurance for? I can understand buying it if cheap and in high crime areas like the USA, however why insure in the Philippines? Are you planning to sail dangerously?

#4 Oh I know you are worried about typhoons in Luzon. So what! Your boat is built to take strong winds and you won't have canvas up. If that afraid, during the narrow window Luzon is at risk, sail to Palawan and enjoy an island hit once every ten years.

#5 I buy sailboat and engine parts on eBay and ship from USA. I have had engine parts shipped in. Heavy damperplates, $200, shipping $60. Zero import duty if done via Johnny Air or My Shopping Box.

#7 For 8 years I have never locked my boat or bike. Yes Mindanao has problems. But don't let one tiny corner of the Philippines pollute your mind as others have suggested. To me, sailing wisely in the Philippines is still far safer than stepping foot in most of the Caribbean.

#8 Just two on vessel this size, I would say watermaker optional. You will collect rain water and have multiple places to stop.

Asa ka pa.

Philip
Thanks, good to hear a/another firsthand perspective on things. Sounds like the place is what you make of it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:30   #8

Hi Philip,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed response.

My e mail address is ...........forkliftman1952@gmail.com

Yes, I am a little skittish too but don't want that to stop life !

Having been a small businessman all my life, risk and reward is a constant way function of the way things really work.

As General MacArthur always said "There is no security in life only opportunity".

I much prefer adventure to a love of ease.

It is heartily agreed that I should not take any counsel from those not experienced or serious seasoned sailors.

When I look at the photo of General Patton above my desk there forever echoes his words "Action is the magic word".

You are right that it all depends on what costs you look at in life.

It could well be the journey of a lifetime to pass through the panama canal and across the Pacific Ocean.

My concern about insurance is related to the various Philippine marinas and their docking/mooring regulations.

When I checked at the Manila Yacht Club and Subic Bay marinas they advised me that insurance was mandatory.

This had led me on a search for insurance with the resulting quote of 4800 USD for my boat which is valued at 130,000 USD.

Here is the USA such insurance is about 1200.

I am okay with no insurance but what can be done if it is mandatory ?

Maybe I could buy insurance only to protect the Philippine marina itself ?

What do boaters do in this situation ?

No, I have no intentions of sailing dangerously.

My concern about typhoons is minimal.

Yes spare parts is a concern but not the end of the world.

Our Nauticat has been almost completely rebuilt in many of it's systems.

You know the drill for us perfectionists which has led to everything being looked at, replaced or rebuilt within reason.

We had the Ford 120 hp replaced with a Cummins B series 150 hp that has been completely rebuilt.

Since we have no intention of visiting Mindanao crime is not a worry.

Besides, my wife and her 7 brothers and sisters will be a factor in a fellow Filipino robbing or stealing from us.

The Nauticat is a 1981 and it's outward appearance does not scream money or rich.

Yes, you are right about risk too.

Baltimore is one of the most violent cities in America.

The Caribbean has limited appeal to us since it is so very expensive.

I much prefer the Philippines with it's many KIND people compared to the many image concerned boaters on the Chesapeake Bay and/or the wealthy Caribbean yachts from Florida.

We carry 150 gallon of water and 250 of fuel so all is well.

On power alone we can travel about 1200 to 1300 nautical miles if needed.

So again, one of my big issues is the Philippine marina possible insurance and also the rules and regulations in the marina.

I hope to hear from you again soon with more words of wisdom.

Michael and Merly Gutowski

To...pbmaise of Jay Kantola
Old 03-06-2017, 11:04   #9

Boat: Whidby 42

3 hours south of manila is a place called Puerto Galera and home to the cruising yc of the Philippines. Highly recommended with great people and worth considering. Only place we go to when visiting. Totally avoiding Subic Bay unless looking to haulout and never gracing the snobbery of manila yc after first visit there about 8 years ago.

Best to you in deciding what to do. If us, go without insurance and go to Puerto Galera while enjoying the cruise across the South Pacific.

John and Michelle
sailorsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 18:00   #10

Hello John and Michelle !

Thank you so much for the factual and honest reply.

I could not agree more with you about the Manila Yacht Club.

My Filipino wife and I tried to visit them on 1 occasion when we were down the street at the USA Embassy.

Their nose was so far up in the air I don't know how they were able to even breath.

The guard was so very rude that we left totally insulted.

We tried to call and e mail them with no response of any kind.

I will check out the Puerto Galera Yacht Club.

No insurance is fine with us but what about the club ?

Could we buy just basic insurance to cover only them ?

Thanks for any help that you can give us.

Michael and Merly Gutowski
Old 03-06-2017, 21:30   #11

Boat: Whidby 42

The PGYC is not the marble edifice like subic and has a mooring field only. Still highly recommend it over the others. Email them and see what their response is to any concerns you have. The club officers are all foreigners from English speaking countries and fantastic folks.

Good luck. So some research ... the more you know about it and the area the more you'll appreciate it I think.
sailorsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 13:44   #12

Hello John and Michelle,

Thanks again for a honest response.

I will look into the Puerto Galera y.c. further.

Since they only offer mooring balls maybe insurance is not an issue ?

We are okay with no insurance on the boat.

After all life is full of risks anyway.

Paying 5000 a year insurance on a 1981 Nauticat seems too high for us.

One time when I was in Manila we visited the Mia Mia y.c. about 90 kilometers from the metro area but they too asked about insurance.

Maybe all they are looking for is insurance to cover them ?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:13   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36

My wife and i long term plan is to sail to the PI. She is from Mindanao and we just spent 2.5 months exploring the area on land. We even made it out to Holiday View marina which was attacked a couple of years back...the Philippine Navy now has a boat assigned to the Marina. There are plenty of places to cruise in PI from my research, enough to spend a year or two easily.

Like previously mentioned, we look forward to the journey there also. Our plan is to spend about a year in the Sea of Cortez, enjoying and learning prior to crossing...was hoping to join the PPJ next year, but realistically looking at 2018.
RokNRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 16:44   #14

Quote:

Asa ka pa.

Philip

Hi Philip,

This is Michael and Merly.

I thank you so much for your replies.

We sent you a reply about 3 days ago but somehow I think that it was sent in error to the thread instead of you directly.....sorry.

Since I am not the best with the computer, I don't really know how to forward it to you.

PLEASE look on the thread itself for my message.

Little by little, I am getting better with the computer.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

I REALLY appreciated your comments so much, Captain.
Old 05-06-2017, 18:00   #15

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
...an easy downwind sail to the Philippines stopping at remote islands in FSM and Palau
Excellent advice. Micronesia is our home for a reason. While Palau and the FSM are spectacular, you may also consider diverting up to the Northern Marianas if you're sailing in April or May (the best season for sailing in Micronesia). The developed islands of Rota, Tinian and Saipan all have their own unique qualities and the Northern Islands, particularly Pagan, are spectacular undeveloped islands, unique in the world. If you visit Saipan, we'll show you true island hospitality.

Remember that if you plan on sailing to the FSM, you'll need to make arrangements with the FSM government in Pohnepei in advance. Also, note that if you plan on visiting any of the outer islands (Ulithi, Satawal, etc...), you'll need to arrange permission from the respective state government well in advance of a visit. Note that you'll need to have a convincing reason to visit; casual tourism is not allowed in the outer islands.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, Philippines, philippines