Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2018, 11:08   #1

Leaking Injector Pump (Kiki) - at anchor in Costa Rica

We're anchored near Manuel Antonio national park in Costa Rica.

The boat has an Isuzu C240 that is leaking diesel from the top of the Injector pump. Drip rate is ~1 drop every 2-4 seconds. See photo in link. The shop manual for the C240 doesn't have details for the injection pump.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kvm...A_QweJb46/view

I haven't been able to able to find any info online about this model using the various numbers in the photo. Although I understand there have been several re-brands and Kiki Diesel --> Zexel --> Bosch.

Based on a short conversation with my Isuzu Parts folks in Canada (Klassen Diesel) it seems there are O-rings that seal the plunger that might be bad.....

My guess is that this video outlines the job I need to do (different engine):

I'm a little nervous because of Nigel Calder's strong belief that amateurs should not be taking apart their injection pumps. I don't have the "correct" O-rings and replacement copper washers. I just have a variety kit Nitrile Butadiene Rubber. My experience is I can almost always match diameter but not always thickness. I'd have to anneal and re-use the washer via propane torch.

I attempted to simply tighten the offending plunger but access is challenging and although I didn't seem to be getting movement, it did produce a "hissing noise" when I applied pressure to the wrench. I'd need to pull the fuel pipe and buy a deeper socket to use the torque wrench. If the O-ring is bad I'm not sure if that'd help anyways.

My questions are:
1) Does a leak in this area mean I'm not getting diesel to one of the 4 injectors or is it simply fuel coming up around the sides from the fuel gallery?

2) Even if I could get things sufficiently spotlessly clean, would I be a fool to attempt this job at anchor without the official O-ring and new washer and at the risk accidentally dislodging small and highly machined parts.

3) if the engine seems to be starting and running, I could do a ~24 hour run to Golfito where we plan to stay for 3 weeks and could get a pro to look at it. I'd turn the bilge pumps off for environmental reasons.

4) Anything obvious that I'm missing?
Guess52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 03:52   #2

Re: Leaking Injector Pump (Kiki) - at anchor in Costa Rica

A check you can do to confirm leaking valve is to degrease area dish washing detergent will do the job then sprinkle body talc around valves or use chalk to mark area. Run engine snail tail will lead to culprit.
It is easy job to replace O Ring, first thing clean area then clean it again cleanliness is what its all about. Then shut fuel off, you may have to remove a injector line or two to be able to get at valve. Generally small motors have rings larger ones copper washer that can be annealed. Place rags around area to catch any escapee parts once valve is loose keep a bit of downward pressure with spare hand, once valve thread comes free cup hand around holder as a precaution and slowly release pressure and lift vertical slowly. You will find a spring that sit over half the valve. place parts in sequence on a clean cotton rag not paper towel!. You will find the O ring above the thread on holder if there is no obvious damage a massage the ring then let sit in sun for an hour some times is enough to do the job. Firm 6'' spanner hand tighten is enough over tension distorts ring. Good Luck!
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 13:34   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Head for Golfito. For one thing that ain't no regular deep socket. If a CR Snap-On truck drives by he might be able to get one, otherwise a pair of Vise Grips?
You probably have some absorbent pads, so wrap one around the injector. Wring it out every few hours. They won't catch fire.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 17:01   #4

Just watched first couple of minutes of Video should taken the time to do this prior to answering most of my description covered very well, he comes over as a competent Tech. Some holders you are able to use a standard 12pt socket on.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 23:59   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I wired a funnel and hose under the drip and caught the leaking fuel in a plastic jug till I got to a place with an injector shop. It takes quite a while to leak a liter.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:06   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess52 View Post
We're anchored near Manuel Antonio national park in Costa Rica.

The boat has an Isuzu C240 that is leaking diesel from the top of the Injector pump. Drip rate is ~1 drop every 2-4 seconds. See photo in link. The shop manual for the C240 doesn't have details for the injection pump.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kvm...A_QweJb46/view

I haven't been able to able to find any info online about this model using the various numbers in the photo. Although I understand there have been several re-brands and Kiki Diesel --> Zexel --> Bosch.

Based on a short conversation with my Isuzu Parts folks in Canada (Klassen Diesel) it seems there are O-rings that seal the plunger that might be bad.....

My guess is that this video outlines the job I need to do (different engine):

I'm a little nervous because of Nigel Calder's strong belief that amateurs should not be taking apart their injection pumps. I don't have the "correct" O-rings and replacement copper washers. I just have a variety kit Nitrile Butadiene Rubber. My experience is I can almost always match diameter but not always thickness. I'd have to anneal and re-use the washer via propane torch.

I attempted to simply tighten the offending plunger but access is challenging and although I didn't seem to be getting movement, it did produce a "hissing noise" when I applied pressure to the wrench. I'd need to pull the fuel pipe and buy a deeper socket to use the torque wrench. If the O-ring is bad I'm not sure if that'd help anyways.

My questions are:
1) Does a leak in this area mean I'm not getting diesel to one of the 4 injectors or is it simply fuel coming up around the sides from the fuel gallery?

2) Even if I could get things sufficiently spotlessly clean, would I be a fool to attempt this job at anchor without the official O-ring and new washer and at the risk accidentally dislodging small and highly machined parts.

3) if the engine seems to be starting and running, I could do a ~24 hour run to Golfito where we plan to stay for 3 weeks and could get a pro to look at it. I'd turn the bilge pumps off for environmental reasons.

4) Anything obvious that I'm missing?
Been awhile since your post but in case you're still watching...

Try '1431-039 diesel kiki inj pump'. Turns out that it is a Bosch PE series pump.

Changing the seal and copper washer is not exactly the same as 'amateurs taking apart their injection pumps.' Look at it more as standard maintenance. Yes, everything must be clean, but that is not an insurmountable obstacle.

However, if you don't have the proper o rings and washers, probably better to wait until you have them. The leak described isn't too serious, I'm presuming you have a sailboat, and can sail most of the way, using the engine only for maneuvering when close in?

The engine should run fine until the leak gets bad enough to affect the pressure delivered to the injector. I'd not try tightening anything any more, unless you absolutely have to, until you get the proper washers, and if the engine has them, seals (the diagram above only shows copper 'gaskets', but that doesn't mean there aren't both).

Whilst it would be nice to have the proper deep six-point socket and a torque wrench to tighten the valve holder when you replace it, this isn't absolutely necessary. It appears there is plenty of room for a standard 6 or 12 point box end wrench, and that is perfectly adequate for this job. Typically, with new seals and washers, after the valve holder 'bottoms out' by hand, another 1/8th to 3/8ths turn will be sufficient. One can always tighten it a little more; too tight though, and you distort the washers and cut the orings, and they'll never seal properly...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Costa Rica, injector pump