Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 09:03   #1
Marine Service Provider

Costa Rica Sailing

Hi Everyone,

After cruising for a couple years, my wife & I settled in Costa Rica. We sold our Islander 37 and now are running a small sailing school with a Hobie cat & Catalina Capri on the west coast near Jaco & Puntarenas.

While living here, I've been compiling information about the anchorages, harbors, marinas, & local sailing conditions, especially in the Pacific Central coast and Gulf of Nicoya. I'm considering building the information into a cruising app for android, etc.

So just an open invitation to anyone heading to Costa Rica to join us for a sail or just ask for local information. It's really a cruising paradise here, and I love to connect with other sailors, although the online resources are few and far between.

PuraVela!
captain.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 14:04   #2

Re: Costa Rica Sailing

That sounds like a great place and a great way to live. We have had a few friends relocate to CR and they have loved it. I saw your other post about bringing boats in and the tax issues...how did that work out ?

www.learntoliveaboard.com
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

We haven't brought any boats in yet, but I've been doing background research on it. It looks like there are ways to get things brought in cheaply if you don't have to register the boat-like for a hobie cat-but for anything bigger you need to pay full price. One guy did share that he took the customs guys out for lunch & got a good import duty that day
Old 18-11-2015, 11:30   #4

Boat: Bowman 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Tico Steve

Have you read Charlies Charts / Costa Rica. Quits a useful guide but not as good as going to all the bays and finding out I guess. Q Is there a navtex service for costa rica or do we just go with the int 518KHZ
Tico Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 11:48   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.k View Post
Hi Everyone,

After cruising for a couple years, my wife & I settled in Costa Rica. We sold our Islander 37 and now are running a small sailing school with a Hobie cat & Catalina Capri on the west coast near Jaco & Puntarenas.

While living here, I've been compiling information about the anchorages, harbors, marinas, & local sailing conditions, especially in the Pacific Central coast and Gulf of Nicoya. I'm considering building the information into a cruising app for android, etc.

So just an open invitation to anyone heading to Costa Rica to join us for a sail or just ask for local information. It's really a cruising paradise here, and I love to connect with other sailors, although the online resources are few and far between.

PuraVela!
How did you get around the labor laws in CR? Is one of you a citizen? I have a friend that live in Mass and owns a house not far from you in CR. He visits there 7 or 8 times a year and he was telling me a non-citizen can own a business down there but can not actually work.

I am trying to get my wife to take a vacation down there because we can stay for free at his house. If we ever make it down I will contact you and pay for a sail and introduce ourselves.
Old 18-11-2015, 11:54   #6

Boat: Bowman 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Tico Steve
Thumbs up Re: Costa Rica Sailing

Hi. I am a resident and work and live here and pay the CCSS - social security. you can have yachts here for 90 days max or you can have a contract /marina berth in one of the three exempt marinas - Papagayo, Los Suenos or Quepos ( Pez Vela). The slip rental gets renewed every two years and with this there is no tax to pay if you a bring a yacht here. for yachts in transit it is obviously not an option so its 90 days in CRC waters and your times up. Hope that helps?
Tico Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 06:30   #7
Marine Service Provider

Yeah my wife and I became residents also, so we can both work here legally. Lot's of options to become a resident, but it takes dedication and time to do it.

Charlie's charts are awesome, even if they are out of date. Looking forward to using them more this coming high season.

No there is no national weather service. There isn't even a radar on a tv weather station that I have ever seen. You have to use your eyes & check the satellite imagery online. There's not even a single weather station on the central pacific coast on weather underground, although there are a few surf cams that sometimes work.

Pura vela!

Tags
Costa Rica, sail, sailing