Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 08:54   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16
Looking for offshore experience NY to Florida

My name is Garth Birdsey, I currently own a 38' Catalina berthed on Broad Creek off the Neuse River near Oriental (New Bern/Wilmington) NC.

I would like some offshore experience anywhere on the East Coast and can pay for my own travel and expenses. I am mostly interested in monohull boats but a catamaran would be a good experience too and then I could offer the services of both myself and my wife.

We have both taken ASA sailing 101,102, and 103 and have owned a number of sailboats for many years. The real problem is that I have a tendency to buy fixer-uppers and I spend far more time working on the boats than sailing them!!

I will be tied up for the next week but my late summer and fall schedule is very flexible.

If you need a semi-experienced hand that is good at fixing things too drop me a line at garthbirdsey@msn.com.
Old 07-08-2016, 19:45   #2

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Re: Looking for offshore experience NY to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsey View Post
I would like some offshore experience anywhere on the East Coast and can pay for my own travel and expenses. I am mostly interested in monohull boats but a catamaran would be a good experience too and then I could offer the services of both myself and my wife.
59 North has offshore sail training. They have a podcast where you can get more ideas about what they do.

Also Find a Crew. I think there are other crew "matchmaking" websites if you search a bit.

Maine Cat also does some things like as they bring their charter boats from Bahamas to Maine and back. Their site doesn't show the fall schedule yet, might call them.
Old 21-08-2016, 11:54   #3

Boat: Tayana 37 cutter

Garth, This may be ,.too little.too late, as I wanted to leave tomorrow, but I've.thoight that a few times and I'm still here. I'm a a novice sailor, who owns a Tayana 37 and has only solo'd. My next passage is from Jacksonville to Key largo. I was going to anchor put to sleep, but with crew would consider going blue all the way. What are your thoughts and.questions? Thank You Dennis
Old 21-08-2016, 19:55   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16

Yes, it is a little late and more importantly I don't think a "novice sailor" and a novice "blue water sailor" really have any rational reason to be offshore without having someone with experience on board!

I also hope to be out sailing in the Nuese River for the next few days!
Old 25-08-2016, 09:33   #5

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Maine Cat just posted their fall offshore itinerary: Maine Cat Charters - Maine Cat Catamarans

Tags
enc, florida, offshore