Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2018, 16:23   #1

Catamaran for family of 4 sailing longterm

Hi, we are a family of 4 looking for the right catamaran for us, reliable, blue water catamaran, 4 cabins, in the $250 000 range or slightly above. Our plan is to start sailing mid/end of next year for 2-4 years starting in the Caribbean working our way west. We have been looking at Voyage 43 and 44 (2001 models and similar), for their reputation of being rock solid boats in rough sees, but have heard about more noise/slamming than other catamarans, any input of voyage owners available on this? We also like Leopard 42 and 43 (2001-2005 models), this size range seems to fit our family perfectly. What are your thoughts about those two brands? I also just found a 2004 435 Privilege online, haven't done any research about them yet, any input would be very much appreciated. My husband does not believe in the seaworthiness of Lagoons, although I like their esthetics best (windows!!). Thank you for your advice!
sailingmoorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 00:31   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Catamaran for family of 4 sailing longterm

The Voyage has many good features but the bridgedeck is very low to the water so they do slam more often than most. All cats will slam its just a question of how often. We've got friends who ran a Voyage 44 as a crewed charter in the BVI and the owner asked them to take the boat up to Maine for hurricane season. They did but said never again because of the slamming they experienced.

The Privilege 435 is a great boat. I owned one for 12 years, lived aboard in the Caribbean and did a circumnavigation with my wife as crew. Literally the only fault I can come up with is the small step (4-6 inches) down from the salon area to the galley. People trip over this until they get used to it! Of course the 435 doesn't have the interior space of the latest cats but if you want a cat that will get you and your family safely round the world, I don't think there is a better boat. One problem you may have is $250k is about the starting price for a 435 so, unless you get lucky, one at that price is likely to require some stuff replacing or upgrading.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 04:47   #3

Thank you, Mike! That is very helpful! There is one on the market in Antigua for $275 000, but it doesn't show the hours on the engines, will see. Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!
sailingmoorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 07:43   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Hi guys

We have just sold our Lagoon 380 and are moving up to a new 42. I really don't know why you would question the seaworthyness of a well kept Lagoon cat.

Ok, they are built to a price and may not be of the same quality as some, but they really are fantastic boats to live on and you get an awful lot of features for your cash.

Look at the ARC cruising site and see how many of them are setting off at the moment to cross the Atlantic !! Also check out where they are on the leaderboards.
Haywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 09:32   #5

Boat: lagoon 3803

Good luck, just get started on whatever you can afford to update.

We are biased towards the Lagoon, having sailed our year 2000 Lagoon 380 around the world in 2014/15 World ARC with our family of four. We had no significant failures compared to Leopard, Pajot, and Manta in that group. The 380 rig is short, sturdy, and needs help with sturdy downwind sail/Screecher with weight moved aft. We thought about upgrading before the trip, but updated ours instead.

The Lagoon 41 and 42 might fit into your price range and are lighter, faster boats.

Tim
sv folie a deux

lagoon 380 #47

The older Leopards can be found and updated, too
familysailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 10:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

The older Leopards, 38, 42, 43, 45, and 47 are very good boats and good sailors, too. I have had an L45 since 1999, have captained some 47's and love the 43. They each have their differences. PM me if you have questions.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 10:54   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
The older Leopards, 38, 42, 43, 45, and 47 are very good boats and good sailors, too. I have had an L45 since 1999, have captained some 47's and love the 43. They each have their differences. PM me if you have questions.

Sorry, I have had my L45 since 2004 and it's a 1999 model.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 16:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We sailed a Voyage for many years with our four kids on board. We sailed continuously from 95/96 through to 2015 when my wife got sick. Yes, under certain conditions Cats can slam. As do many other cats. As for it saying 'never again' - well we have never got to that stage. We went thru' a full cyclone on ours in the Indian Ocean and honestly can say that we could not have wanted for a sturdier vessel. Their low bridge deck clearance is not the best feature but in extreme conditions it can be considered a blessing as the windage is less than many comparable vessels. Frankly, I think your selection is bang on perfect with the Voyage 44, Leopard 43/45 or the Privilege 435.

Watch the 'Honeymoon' series on YouTube for Lagoon 38 living and the Wynns series for Leopard 43.

Dont overlook carrying capacity, storage space and the dinghy location.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmoorea View Post
Hi, we are a family of 4 looking for the right catamaran for us, reliable, blue water catamaran, 4 cabins, in the $250 000 range or slightly above. Our plan is to start sailing mid/end of next year for 2-4 years starting in the Caribbean working our way west. We have been looking at Voyage 43 and 44 (2001 models and similar), for their reputation of being rock solid boats in rough sees, but have heard about more noise/slamming than other catamarans, any input of voyage owners available on this? We also like Leopard 42 and 43 (2001-2005 models), this size range seems to fit our family perfectly. What are your thoughts about those two brands? I also just found a 2004 435 Privilege online, haven't done any research about them yet, any input would be very much appreciated. My husband does not believe in the seaworthiness of Lagoons, although I like their esthetics best (windows!!). Thank you for your advice!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 20:41   #9

I have a 48 foot privilage catamaran presently in Bali Indonesia
4 double cabins 2 single day berths
Looking to sell around 200,000 Aud
phuelin@hotmail.com
phuelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 21:12   #10
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Have owned our L380 for 9 years Its a model year 2000. Since May of this year we have sailed it to Alaska and down to Mexico if that counts for anything. Its been a very good boat for us.
Derick
Stray Cat 2
Lagoon 380 # 24
Old 26-11-2018, 18:43   #11

Boat: Prout 50

I have a 1996 Prout 50 loaded for cruising located in Venice, Fl. at $249,000. Four doubles 3 heads, nav station facing forward. Very easy to sail Aero rig which is great for downwind sailing and self tacking. 1500 watt solar on cockpit hardtop. watermaker, large freezer, standup fridge w/top freezer and galley drink fridge. Dink w/30hp. New Garmin autopilot, chartplotter, vhf w/ais. Newer 55hp Volvo's. 1000 hour range.
jragman8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, family, sail, sailing