Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2017, 02:58   #1

Boat: Moody 425
Moody 42: Bluewater family cruiser?

Hi all,

We are a family of 4 looking to purchase a 40 something centre cockpit vessel in the Med to sail back to Australia.

One of the designs that has caught our interest is the Moody 42. (Later 2000s model NOT 70s model).

We have also considered the older 425's.

Anyone have any experience or insight into the Moody 42?
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 04:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Moody 42: Bluewater family cruiser?

“The Moody 42 was designed for long-distance cruising, so she is solidly constructed and simply but stoutly rigged. Her high displacement and sail area/displacement ratio put her firmly in the cruiser bracket. Her displacement to waterline comparison is more favourable performance-wise than the earlier Moody 40, but still means she is stiff and well able to stand up to her sail. Her ballast ratio is not as high as some, but putting the greater part of the cast- iron ballast in a bulb at the keel foot means it is more effective...”

More ➥ Moody 42

Another (favourable) review ➥ Moody 42 Review - Yacht & Boat

And another ➥ https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...moody-42-9044/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 06:23   #3

We own and cruise a 425 produced before the 42. Have found Moody yachts to have been very well built and good passage makers. We really like the layout, Bill Dixon is a fine designer. Moody's like other well built yachts are stick built and are not liner boats so usually easy to get at everything and very solid. One caveat..If the boat has been really well looked after and upgraded it will be a great boat. If they are allowed to sit and are not maintained it can cost you big time so have it looked over well. On our Atlantic crossing we had 4 days pushing 180 miles and lots in the 160+ range so they are really good passage makers. Moody owners have very good resources including a very active website and a monthly magazine with thousands of members. The boats have a good following.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 06:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Very active website with a technical forum for queries and an area for prospective owners to ask questions.

http://moodyowners.org/

Sadly they couldn't compete with the French and German yacht builders who produced cheaper yachts whilst Moody tried to maintain a very high quality standard of build. Bought out by Hanse in the end.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:06   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Everything I know about them and a single look suggests "yes, go for it".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 13:55   #6

I have a Moody 425 which I bought in Queensland. The boat sailed from Norway to Australia with a young couple and two small children. I have just completed a 10,000 nm partial circumnavigation of Australia, some of it on my own. The last four months beating to windward from Darwin to Bundaberg. The boat handled all conditions admirily and I had no issues with equipment. The Owners Forum is extremely knowledgeable and with great resources. I would say go for it without hesitation.
Regards
Russ
Blue Reef Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 14:37   #7

Thanks all.

Great advice. Much appreciated.

Of course it will also come down to the individual condition of the vessel.

It looks like tankage is maybe not as amazing as you would find on say a Hallberg Rassy, but the accomodation layout is well suited for our needs as a family (who would look to take onboard additional guests/crew for longer passages).
Old 29-12-2017, 15:37   #8

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall View Post
Hi all,

We are a family of 4 looking to purchase a 40 something centre cockpit vessel in the Med to sail back to Australia.

One of the designs that has caught our interest is the Moody 42. (Later 2000s model NOT 70s model).

We have also considered the older 425's.

Anyone have any experience or insight into the Moody 42?
Go for it! A few thoughts though.....

We bought a Bavaria 42 a few years ago to sail the Med and then bring her back to Australia. Plan is failing as we now spend 5 or 6 months in the Med and love it. Australia is getting further away.

Moody yachts are in the minority in the Med. Why lock yourself in to one brand. Lots of yachts for sale in the Med. And as you recognise a lot cheaper than Australia.

This is personal taste, but I prefer an aft cockpit. Centre cockpit boats are not all that common in the Med as they are not so easy to tie up "stern to".

On the financial aspect, I wonder if a Moody would be the most financially efficient considering all costs including import and resale?

As I said, go for it. It has been a wonderful experience in our lives. If we bring Penelope back to Aus then we will need to have a boat in the Med also!!!
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 23:24   #9

Boat: Moody 49

I have a centre cockpit Moody in the Med. I can only say that I do not understand the comment about difficulties when stern too mooring.
Once moored the centre cockpit gives you more privacy and security.
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 23:48   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The 42 is a lengthened Moody 40, so it's a mid-90's design, prior to the last generation of raised saloon boats from Dixon. This was the period when Moody was still trying to resist the flood of mass produced continental boats, so there are some economy measures like iron keel, but otherwise they are built like brick outhouses with proper through-bolted bulkheads, massive chainplates, and in all respects an absolutely first rate structure, always Moody's strong point. As others have pointed out, the layout is excellent (Bill Dixon really knew how to do that), but the joinery is not as good as you will find in Hallberg Rassys or Oysters. But they are stick built with no liner and made by hand, so not much similar to the mass produced continental boats. But you pay for that -- they are pretty expensive for what they are. I don't like the sail drive, but you will be hard pressed to find a modern boat of that size without one. Pretty good choice in my opinion. You might want to look at Contests and Hallberg Rassys also -- you might find one of similar size for a similar price. The Contest 42S is a particularly lovely boat and will cost about the same as the Moody.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 13:36   #11

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thurlow View Post
I have a centre cockpit Moody in the Med. I can only say that I do not understand the comment about difficulties when stern too mooring.
Once moored the centre cockpit gives you more privacy and security.
You have a centre cockpit, I do not. I accept what you say and must agree concerning privacy. I am sure we both love the Med!
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 21:26   #12

Thanks all for the food for thought. Great insight. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You might want to look at Contests and Hallberg Rassys also -- you might find one of similar size for a similar price. The Contest 42S is a particularly lovely boat and will cost about the same as the Moody.
I am also looking at Hallberg Rassys 42Fs, 45/46. The are great designs but with a premium.

I do not know much about the contests. Thankyou for the suggestion though, I am googling them and sending off a couple of emails as I type!
Old 30-12-2017, 22:02   #13

Contests are also lovely boats but if in equal condition are usually at a pretty good premium, at least they used to be. I've always liked them.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 04:06   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Contests are also lovely boats but if in equal condition are usually at a pretty good premium, at least they used to be. I've always liked them.
About the same price for these models.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 16:23   #15

Boat: Moody 54

We have been living on and sailing our Moody 54 for three years and love it. Beautiful and sturdy boat.
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, family, water