Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 09:09   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 54
Marinas in NYC area

Hi Everyone - looking to sail up from Delaware Bay to NYC - can anyone recommend good marinas at reasonable prices along the New Jersey shoreline and up into the Manhattan Long Island area? I draw 7 feet and need a 55ft berth. Thanks!
chesapeakesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:45   #2

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: Marinas in NYC area

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesailor View Post
Hi Everyone - looking to sail up from Delaware Bay to NYC - can anyone recommend good marinas at reasonable prices along the New Jersey shoreline and up into the Manhattan Long Island area? I draw 7 feet and need a 55ft berth. Thanks!
Very close to NYC in western most LI Sound is Manhasset bay.
Very protected, plenty of water.
Very good anchorage, services, marinas, restaurants and WM all very local.
Marinas...
Manhasset bay Marina
Brewer Capri East
Brewer Capri West
to name a few.
35 minutes by Long Island RR to midtown Manhattan.
If would consider a mooring (season long water taxi rate available) advise and will send contact info.
Is literally my backyard.
Happy to send more info/talk if interest.
No local info on Jersey coast except not good inlets and skinny water especially with 7 ft draft. Except Atlantic City.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 16:07   #3

Fantastic - thanks Hugosalt - going to do some reading based on your feedback and will be back with more questions. Guaranteed!
Old 04-02-2019, 16:10   #4

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

Check out Active Captain- there are many NYC marina reviews there (along with marina contact info, etc.) Happy cruising!
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 13:14   #5

Thank you everyone for the pointers. Extremely helpful given northern most point I have sailed to is Philadelphia. Looks to be approximately 256 NMiles if you go straight line vector. I cruise at between 8 and 9 knots (closer to 9) and at 8 that means 32 hours. So given the crew includes my wife it means we probably aren't cruising solidly for 32+ hours. Anyone ever done Annapolis to NYC through the Chesapeake Delaware Canal and how many days easy cruising did it take?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2019, 14:30   #6

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesailor View Post
Thank you everyone for the pointers. Extremely helpful given northern most point I have sailed to is Philadelphia. Looks to be approximately 256 NMiles if you go straight line vector. I cruise at between 8 and 9 knots (closer to 9) and at 8 that means 32 hours. So given the crew includes my wife it means we probably aren't cruising solidly for 32+ hours. Anyone ever done Annapolis to NYC through the Chesapeake Delaware Canal and how many days easy cruising did it take?

Thanks!
We draw 6.5 and have done the trip several times in both directions;
You can do an overnight from Cape May to The Atlantic Highlands and then up the Hudson the following day or you can break it up into two hops - Cape May to Atlantic City & then Atlantic City to Atlantic Highlands and then up the Hudson.

Likewise, you can also break up the Delaware Bay portion; we've gone from Annapolis through the Canal and anchored behind Reedy Island for the night and then Reedy Island to Cape May, etc.

Hope this helps and if you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask - wife and I are originally from the NY/NJ area.

Enjoy!
Old 10-03-2019, 14:49   #7

Thanks SVR - very helpful. Going to study and think and get back with questions....
Old 11-03-2019, 06:18   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Our ride is different, but we've gone from Annapolis to Lewes and Cape May a few times.

Easy run from Annapolis to mid-C&D, anchor in the Chesapeake City bight or treat yourself to a decent stay at the Inn/Marina. Schaeffers is probably OK again, but exposed. Or a stay at the Delaware City Marina can be OK, too if you decide to not anchor out.

From these, it's an easy run down to Cape May IF conditions on the Delaware Bay are favorable. Don't know of any mid-points, though.

-Chris
Old 11-03-2019, 18:30   #9

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Just to be honest before I start, I'm the Marine carpenter/ shipwright at Manhasset Bay Marina and basically the sailboat guy lol. Full service marina, outboard and diesel mechanics, fiberglass, paint, custom carpentry rigging etc. Cheapest fuel in the bay. Family owned for over 50 years by the La Motta family. I keep my 15.5 Idylle there and just want to say it's a nice marina and there are a great group of boat owners there. Great Tiki Bar, Restaurant has just been remodeled and new management brought it. Full dingy dock right across from Stop and Shop supermarket, West Marine, Ace hardware, great restaurants, basically you name it. I never get in my car once I'm there. I take my dinghy about 100 feet from my slip to the town dingy dock, grab a shopping cart left there and load up. It's great. My Buddy Mat Meyeran also runs the Guest moorings which come with his water taxi service. If you want to hit up the bars on the water he will just bounce you around. If you belong to a yacht club there is also Manhasset Bay Yacht Club and Part Washington Yacht club who reciprocate. I have a 51ft and draw 6. I think the slip next to me may be open. Anyway I would call Pat in the office. 516 883-8411 He could tell you what is available. Tell him Nelson told you to call. Look forward to having a cocktail.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, nyc