Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 11:45   #1

Boat: Broadblue 38
Broadblue (Prout ) 38 vs Lagoon 380

Hi all

I'm evaluating a Broadblue 38 (aka Prout Privilege 38) and try to compare her to a Lagoon 380 in terms of seaworthiness, sailing performance (I know they are both slow boats), build quality and live aboard qualities.

I would want to now you opinion about those two boats. Intended usage: singlehanded bluewater cruising and living aboard for many years. mainly in the tropics. Mostly 1, sometimes 2 people. Age nearing 60 (when ready to go sailing) so I will need a boat which can be easily handled when getting older.

L380: I really like the open plan (Salon to cockpit), the vertical windows, the 360 degrees view, the engines in separate bays and the light interior incl. the large windows in the hulls and the headroom (I'm 185 cm tall). In the same time I'm a little concerned about the overall build quality and of the suitability for nasty weather, the rudders w/o skeg, the large windows in the hulls (yes this one is a pro and a con..)

BB38: I like the idea of skeghung rudders, the ease of having a small mainsail to handle (reefing from the cockpit) and the perception of a higher build quality and generally geared more towards bluewater longterm cruising. I'm not so fond of the small entrance to the salon, the many steps involved to get to the pantry and having the engines under the bunks. I do not yet know if the headroom will be sufficient, but I expect this not to be a problem, at least in the hulls. And from other threads it seem the next generation BB385 has a lot of headroom. I also would prefer less angled windows to prevent the green house-effect in the tropics and I have the impression that the overall ventilation is less good then in the L380 - also in the aft cabines, where there is no over head hatch.

Imaging a circumnavigation today requires a passage of at least around South Africa, the seaworthiness is a important factor

Has anybody experience with the BB38 and her sailing performance and seaworthiness compared to the L380?

Any comments highly appreciated!

Best regards
Jan
CruiserAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Broadblue, lagoon, lagoon 380