Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 11:06   #1

Boat: Hunter 50cc
Yanmar 4jh4-hte diesel locked up. Hunter 50cc 2009.

Cranked my 4jh4-hte and a loud air hissing sound started. Opened engine hatch and smelled burnt rubber. Turned off engine but couldn't find anything wrong. Oil and water ok. Tried to crank it but the crankshaft only turns about 1/4 and then goes back to original position. Removed altenator it was ok. Water pump pulley spun freely.
What should I do next? I think the seawater pump must have siezed or the drive system for the turbo siezed. Any thoughts?
Engine has about 600 hours on it. Well maintained and was working great.
jackrabbit59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar 4jh4-hte diesel locked up. Hunter 50cc 2009.

Remove injectors and spin it over to ensure it’s not hydrolocked.
Do this now, if it’s full of water your working against a clock to prevent serious damage.
I suspect you know little about motors, so if need be call an expert mechanic.
I say this due to your supposition of the turbo drive mechanism being the culprit.
Nothing wrong with not being a Diesel expert, but you need someone to make sure it’s not full of water, today, and if it is, get it out ASAP.
Everything else can wait, but salt water in an engine is a ticking time bomb.

Maybe you’ll get lucky and all it is is a burnt out starter with a stuck bendix. I’m betting that, but I’d want an answer to that locked up part soon.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:41   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Yanmar 4jh4-hte diesel locked up. Hunter 50cc 2009.

First find the source of the burnt rubber smell. Maybe cooked wires to the starter motor. maybe a belt came off and got jammed somewhere?

How long did you crank it for? I would remove the injectors ( keep them in order) and see if you can crank it over by hand first. Without the injectors it should turn over pretty easily. You might have hydrolocked your cylinders.

But first find the source of the burnt rubber smell.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 17:27   #4

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

On my westerbeke remove the glow plugs is far easier than the injectors and I agree you should do one of these and crank with fuel cutoff pulled so anything gets purged. Have someone else crank so you can observe if anything come out of cylinders.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 17:35   #5

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
On my westerbeke remove the glow plugs is far easier than the injectors and I agree you should do one of these and crank with fuel cutoff pulled so anything gets purged. Have someone else crank so you can observe if anything come out of cylinders.
Yanmar = no glow plugs
pulling injectors is the way to go
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 17:38   #6

Hmmm, did not know that, interesting. So yep pull the injectors and be very careful to not get any dirt down in cylinders.
Old 03-05-2018, 17:49   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Well here's a WAG. Internally delaminated exhaust hose blocked exhaust/raw water flow, partially hydraulically locking engine. Definitely do whatever you have to to get the water out as soon as possible, turn off the water intake and fuel supply before you start cranking to purge it...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:07   #8

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW-we had a turbo blow, and parked the boat until I was able to get the replacement parts(about a 2-month process). Went to replace the turbo, and just happened to try and turn the eng over-it was locked solid. Long story short-water had filled 2 cylinders, hydrolocked the eng, and it coroded....so bad we had to remove the bottom end, then the cyl liners to get it apart. Not a fun job. If there's ANY chance you're hydrolocked-get that water out ASAP, or plan on a complete rebuild or engine replacement!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
First find the source of the burnt rubber smell. Maybe cooked wires to the starter motor. maybe a belt came off and got jammed somewhere?

How long did you crank it for? I would remove the injectors ( keep them in order) and see if you can crank it over by hand first. Without the injectors it should turn over pretty easily. You might have hydrolocked your cylinders.
But first find the source of the burnt rubber smell.
^^ This. Are you sure the engine isnt just hard to turn from compression? It sounds like it. Even a smaller engine will do that if you try to manually turn it.
-Sounds like something locked up and you burnt the V belt...?
-or could be the exhaust hose burning and clogged by collapsing etc. Maybe that would cause the hissing sound. Was there water out the exhaust? Maybe a coolant flow obstruction?
-maybe your starter stuck in the flywheel and the hissing was something spinning and a burning starter?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:18   #10

Thanks for the input. The engine was running OK just high pitched whistle sound like a pin hole in an exhaust blower. Rubber smell meant some bearing was burning up. It had only run for a minute or so. Everything else was normal. I shut it down and checked everything. Sea water impeller was good, no blockage in seawater intake, oil was normal with no water in it, antifreeze level was normal. Tried to start it. It turned about 1/3 turn on the crank pulley and then went back to original position. It would only turn if I used the house batteries. It would not turn at all if I used the starting battery. If it was hydrolocked, 3 fully charged 8D batteries would have spun it more than a 1/3 turn, changed the amount it turned or smoked the starter. I tried this 3 or 4 times with exactly the same amount of spin and return of the crankshaft. I took off the v belt and got same result. Something broke inside and is stopping the crankshaft at exactly the same place. Probably the drive system for the seawater pump or the internal drive on the turbo. I have had water pumps break off a blade and do the same thing on car engines. Also had sprockets break a tooth or break off and do the same. Either way the boat is on the hard in Mexico until September. I am just looking for what parts other than seawater pump and turbo drive part to take back with me. I was hoping someone knew which ones had rubber bearing parts that would give me a clue to the cause from the burnt rubber smell.
Thanks.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:51   #11

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit59 View Post
Thanks for the input. The engine was running OK just high pitched whistle sound like a pin hole in an exhaust blower. Rubber smell meant some bearing was burning up. It had only run for a minute or so. Everything else was normal. I shut it down and checked everything. Sea water impeller was good, no blockage in seawater intake, oil was normal with no water in it, antifreeze level was normal. Tried to start it. It turned about 1/3 turn on the crank pulley and then went back to original position. It would only turn if I used the house batteries. It would not turn at all if I used the starting battery. If it was hydrolocked, 3 fully charged 8D batteries would have spun it more than a 1/3 turn, changed the amount it turned or smoked the starter. I tried this 3 or 4 times with exactly the same amount of spin and return of the crankshaft. I took off the v belt and got same result. Something broke inside and is stopping the crankshaft at exactly the same place. Probably the drive system for the seawater pump or the internal drive on the turbo. I have had water pumps break off a blade and do the same thing on car engines. Also had sprockets break a tooth or break off and do the same. Either way the boat is on the hard in Mexico until September. I am just looking for what parts other than seawater pump and turbo drive part to take back with me. I was hoping someone knew which ones had rubber bearing parts that would give me a clue to the cause from the burnt 3 fully charged 8Drubber smell.
Thanks.
Well...if you think the 'internal drive on the turbo' or the 'the [broken] drive system for the seawater pump' is holding back '3 fully charged 8D batteries' then I see

"Went to replace the turbo, and just happened to try and turn the eng over-it was locked solid. Long story short-water had filled 2 cylinders, hydrolocked the eng, and it coroded....so bad we had to remove the bottom end, then the cyl liners to get it apart."

in your future.

In other words, the symptoms you list describe very well water in #4 cylinder and maybe #3...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:46   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I don’t think you’re understanding what is hydrolocked.

There is no internal drive on a turbo. It’s simply two fans on a stick. And unless there was a serious and almost unheard of failure of the water pump drive....I think you’ve got a case of water in the engine.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:03   #13

So I think I understand. Not familiar with hydrolock, just semi's and tractors. Your saying if water gets in the cylinder, when the crank tries to compress the cylinder, the water won't compress and forces the crank back the the original position?
Thanks. Trying to learn.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:49   #14

Yes, that's hydrolock. And explains why the engine relaxes to same spot. If you haven't done it already, cranking when hydrolocked also bends connecting rods and now you just created a lot of work. Usually a starter motor is strong enough to break things like connecting rods.

That's why people are suggesting you remove injectors, because if you remove those, the engine has no compression and will spin, relatively, easy with just a wrench on the pulley nut. Any water in the cylinder will be blown out the now empty injector hole. Helps to have someone else crank while you observe so you can see if anything comes out. If you're solo just look for water on the engine room ceiling. If you've done this, and engine spins, now you need to ensure that whatever was in there hasn't cause damage like rust on the rings or bores. If you have no compression, and engine still won't spin, well you need to start going through the various components to see what is binding it up.

Turbos are driven by exhaust gases there is no actual drive. The exhaust gases spin the wheel and it drives the compressor wheel shoving more air into the engine. But there isn't some shaft or gear going from engine to turbo.
Old 04-05-2018, 13:21   #15

Thanks. From the comments I still have to find the source of the water and the turbo may have gone out. Trying to see if someone at the marina can pull the injectors for me, crank it over a few times and spray some cylinder oil into them until I get back in September. Otherwise I will be heading back to Mexico next week. Long ride from Montana.
Thanks again everyone for all the input.

Tags
diesel, hunter, yanmar