Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 09:39   #46

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Best Marina in the Clear Lake Area ?

I'm currently looking for a boat slip on clear lake Texas. I found a link 10 years ago that had slips, and prices, but now I can't find it.

Apparently Clear lake marinas are embarrassed of their prices as no one posts them.

A list of marinas, and price ranges would be real helpful.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:43   #47

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I'm currently looking for a boat slip on clear lake Texas. I found a link 10 years ago that had slips, and prices, but now I can't find it.

Apparently Clear lake marinas are embarrassed of their prices as no one posts them.

A list of marinas, and price ranges would be real helpful.
I had to call around and I was only interested in the south side of the lake. I have a few links left from my search last year:

Boardwalk
Wharf
Waterford
Starship

I had to call Watergate, South Shore, Marina Del Sol and Legend Point so my info will be dated for them and I only got pricing for 40'-50'.

Edit: Found this link that has a little more info. There are some Portofino listings as well as a blurb saying that Legend Point is $6 per ft, per month.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:11   #48

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

After a few years in the area, I think nobody publishes prices because in most marinas there's a huge discrepancy in what each renter is paying -- especially during first year contracts.

Sure, your first year might be $275 per month for a 35' slip, but then if you want to stay, it goes up to $300 the next year, maybe even $325 the next year. Then you have a huge mix of people paying different rates. Unfortunately, it's usually the ones who have been there the longest and actually pay on time that end up with the highest rates because the marinas think they can "afford it."

Marina Del Sol was the WORST about this. They claim to charge by the size of the boat, not the slip. I was paying almost $300 per month with a 27' boat while my friend had gotten the "boat show special" and was only being charged $175 per month for his 34' boat.

I'm at my second year at Watergate with a 35' slip paying $325 per month, but I'm sure if you called as a new customer wanting a 35' slip, they'd quote you a better rate.

However, I can say that Watergate puts a lot of work into maintaining the marina and dredging, so at least you see where your money is going.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:41   #49

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
After a few years in the area, I think nobody publishes prices because in most marinas there's a huge discrepancy in what each renter is paying -- especially during first year contracts.

Sure, your first year might be $275 per month for a 35' slip, but then if you want to stay, it goes up to $300 the next year, maybe even $325 the next year. Then you have a huge mix of people paying different rates. Unfortunately, it's usually the ones who have been there the longest and actually pay on time that end up with the highest rates because the marinas think they can "afford it."

Marina Del Sol was the WORST about this. They claim to charge by the size of the boat, not the slip. I was paying almost $300 per month with a 27' boat while my friend had gotten the "boat show special" and was only being charged $175 per month for his 34' boat.

I'm at my second year at Watergate with a 35' slip paying $325 per month, but I'm sure if you called as a new customer wanting a 35' slip, they'd quote you a better rate.

However, I can say that Watergate puts a lot of work into maintaining the marina and dredging, so at least you see where your money is going.
I concur about Watergate. I've been there for the past 18 months and it's been great. Certainly one of the better managed marinas in the area and I love having a finger pier on each side of the boat.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clear lake, marinas, reviews, texas