Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2014, 06:10   #16

Boat: ?
Re: Delivery: Belize to Texas

any opinions/thoughts on going via florida during the winter (to go from isla mujeres/belize to a final destination of texas).

instead of directly across the gulf to texas....what about via cabo san antontio, dry tortugas and the gulf states?

my understanding is the best time in the winter to avoid getting caught with strong north winds against the yucatan current....is right after a northerner passes by, right?

is it more predictable to keep the passages short(by going the longer way around)?..ie deceasing the chances of getting caught in damaging conditions

the directly across the gulf of mexico route is beyond my comfort level at this time(the purpose of me searching for the captain)
...but what about taking the indirect route (either an outside captain..or i would be available to do it myself in a few months)
Old 16-11-2014, 06:26   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

That would be the preferred route this time of year. The current gives a nice boost towards FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-11-2014, 07:51   #18

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
any opinions/thoughts on going via florida during the winter (to go from isla mujeres/belize to a final destination of texas).

instead of directly across the gulf to texas....what about via cabo san antontio, dry tortugas and the gulf states?

my understanding is the best time in the winter to avoid getting caught with strong north winds against the yucatan current....is right after a northerner passes by, right?

is it more predictable to keep the passages short(by going the longer way around)?..ie deceasing the chances of getting caught in damaging conditions

the directly across the gulf of mexico route is beyond my comfort level at this time(the purpose of me searching for the captain)
...but what about taking the indirect route (either an outside captain..or i would be available to do it myself in a few months)
We kind of did it that way. Couple days or weeks in a bunch of spots. Bahia Del Espiritu Santo, Bahia De Ascension, Xcalak, Isla Mujeres. There are a couple of anchorages in the mangroves along the north coast of Cuba. Once you get to Key West you pretty much have it made.

Tags
Belize, delivery, texas