Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 06:00   #3451

Boat: Boatless
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Yup. The 31er a lot smaller but a complete cockpit enclosure makes it a much bigger boat. Huge difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 16:39   #3452

Boat: kura 7.7m wishbone cat rig centreboader and searunner 34 tri

of 34 searunners-
& re above, yep can get snotty off top of nz- been times up there have thought am jst so glad not in 1 o them stupid multis. bought a wrecked sr 34 as a joke down sth island, few wks to stop her sinking, outboard to get across cook strait, rig in [sort of] & on up to auckland. swore if arrived alive was gonna set fire to th.. [expletive.]
duh. after 50 yaers hating multis am still sailing her & wld go anywhere in her.
a hard dodger is essential- without cockpit was jst a big paddling pool. hate pivot boards with a passion so a 650 x 1200 dagger went in, never misses a tack, ['cept for when i um..] & sizzles to windward, despite that dirty great stub keel- which i wld never be without. still havent built the stern scoop tho- also essential & nxt job.
buoyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:12   #3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by buoyracer View Post
of 34 searunners-
& re above, yep can get snotty off top of nz- been times up there have thought am jst so glad not in 1 o them stupid multis. bought a wrecked sr 34 as a joke down sth island, few wks to stop her sinking, outboard to get across cook strait, rig in [sort of] & on up to auckland. swore if arrived alive was gonna set fire to th.. [expletive.]
duh. after 50 yaers hating multis am still sailing her & wld go anywhere in her.
a hard dodger is essential- without cockpit was jst a big paddling pool. hate pivot boards with a passion so a 650 x 1200 dagger went in, never misses a tack, ['cept for when i um..] & sizzles to windward, despite that dirty great stub keel- which i wld never be without. still havent built the stern scoop tho- also essential & nxt job.
A few questions about the daggerboard you built into your Searunner 34:

1) Did you build the daggerboard case with a crashbox?
2) Does the daggerboard case extend right up through the top of the fore cabin so you access it from outside?
3) Did you get advice from Jim Brown or John Marples on the design and construction of it?

Thanks
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 20:57   #3454

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I'm interested in this one too, there are a few different ways to do this one as far as location and construction.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:22   #3455

Hi magentawave
Boat 1st launched 2001, c case failure/water ingress & hauled out 07. I bought 2011with cockpit gutted, engine, tankage etc out ctr case chainsawed out below waterline. [Plank on bott o shoe keeping sea at bay, filled remains of c case with milk botts & sealed.] Got engine & c board lashed on deck for trip, dunno why as was never going to stay with the pivot system... Don't like. [Apologies to john & jim & no i wasnt in touch- noone likes their designs tampered with- I have their sr34 plans & theres none better.]
so. No crash box as such.. Made a glassed ply ctr case to fit inside remains of existing & from bott shoe to cockpit floor. Lot of timber for support behind at bott, & front of case formed the mast step. Bott of mast chopped off [450mm] & is now cockpit floor stepped, directly in front of opening for c board. [Slot starts 650 aft of companionway bulkhead- cockpit sealed- & fully draining thru case o course.] Case angles forward 4 degrees to take toe of leading edge frrd of mast c/l. Board 1800 x 650 x 70. To get 1.3m wetted & 500+ bury the board comes up thru floor 160, so top comes up thru slot in the steering pedestal which is directly aft of mast, but as only needs 1m of board down hardly necessary.
Ideal of course is to have a ‘tear here’ weakness in board in case of major impact. Um, not done yet as i just rebuilt to suit, a left over rudder my brother had made for another project. Er, way too solid. Came into a marina down wellington full noise & c board full down for control as blowing. Ah, spring low & maybe not dead centre of fairway- barge was putting in new piers so maybe steel girder across bottom. Massive bang instant stop from 6kts arse up buried bow. Expected no bott left in boat- but all sweet.
My brother built a ctr case with huge welded up fore & aft internal u section ss channels & urethane cheeks on 400kg blade, for my mono, but just 2 folded ss sheet ‘u’ sections cramped into a glassed ply case fore & aft with sika, handles his huge ton of lead winged ‘c board’ totally issue free. [35’wishbone cat ketch.] A light unballasted c board for the tri causes no wear as it is not being moved once underway. But hey, lotta ways to skina cat
To handle vane steering i kept morse as backup [never] & instead run 8mm braid off a short tiller for required arc, & along port side & turning blocks & up pipe in deck/pedestal to chain off the top sprocket. Lathed sprocket down & fitted another one to get the ratios i wanted. Can either run a baby tiller pilot off the tiller back aft for heavy downhills, & if not expecting to change course in hurry, or off an adjustable bracket on helm if may b traffic about- or yuk- expect to tack sometime. Better things to do than helm eh
Bump into quite a few searunners here in nz, usually immaculate & often only owner infirmity sees them being sold. Article on this one boating nz June 2015
Cheers & happy sailing, Mark
ps cld try & get pics up if reqd. wld need mi kids help tho...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tryst eml.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	129222  
Old 09-08-2016, 10:20   #3456

Thanks for all the info! I forgot for a moment that the centerboard trunk of a Searunner is in the cockpit and not in the fore cabin. (I had the Marples 35 on my mind when I asked that question.)

If I understand you correctly, the daggerboard extends about 4'-3" which is about the same as the Searunner 34 centerboard, right? And if that's correct, why did you build a daggerboard?

Did you keep the keel shoe?

There aren't enough photos online of Searunners and I love that photo! (It's on my computer as a revolving wallpaper now.) Sure, if you can muster the time it would be awesome to see more.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 19:31   #3457

Good on the angle forward board bouyracer, I was wondering how you kept close to the center of effort. A offset board could do it too but something still has to take the mast loads.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:57   #3458

PIVOTING CENTREBOARD V DAGGERBOARD?

Hi all, SR 34 plans put the board at 71 x 43 x 3.5” for 3’ 8” wetted draft, say 1120 mm in new money, & my daggerboard is 1300. [I dive in ft, of course navigate in cables & nm, but hey, microns v thou... metrics now bit easier on my poor brain... Maybe the frogs got something with the 400 degree circle...] Whoops I digress- so my boards trailing edge just projects frrd of the designed board posn, & balance is fine. Wetted surface ratio between the two about 1.2 : 1.

The 800 odd miles I did without a board was the worst trip of my life- she wouldnt tack, & when did was making 90 degree tacks- yeh- sideways- & it wld wipe out downhill. Surprised was so bad. Flicked thru few of these past posts as i a newbie, & saw the windward performance thing pop up. With the dagger board I usually only have a metre down. Full down & I find us going to windward of keelers trying to lay their uphill race mark. Way overweight, shagged sail, & that bloody shoe, but usually round 45 made good & even 7kts particularly if able to fly staysl also.
A bigger case angle forward cld ease shoaling impact. Ie with a ‘breaking knee’ hinged strut system to hold the board down. Without impact cushioning, square cheeks in square box prob best.

Reasons for pivoting board:
I know, obvious; real world impact security.
Against:
Obvious again, just personal choice. Performance. Inaccessible. Complexity & weight [took 3 of us to lift it] encourage failure. My poor SR 34 scuffs about & sits on the hard between tides. The orig centrecase would quickly pack with mud & jam up. This doesnt. Engine can also go central with a dagger. While a kicked back pivoting board in shoal water can be a manoeuvrabilty nightmare with other designs, ok, not so much issue here. Though well designed & supported with the minikeel I just dislike those big gaping trenches. [Was jacking boat up under front of minikeel when the stub keel/shoe thing started dissapearing up into the hull- built a small bulkhead inside at that front point smartly!]
Got a pic up on my member page thingy, sorta shows board posn sticking up through sole- cant see mast- just in front of helm pedestal.
Will sort some info re steering lines if anyone interested. Think did 500 fulcrum @ tiller, blocks on chines @ 430 on arc, for 600 rope travel to 130 dia top sprocket, 1.8 turns lock to lock for bout 70 degrees of rudder. I think. Will check
cheers mark
Old 10-08-2016, 14:20   #3459
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Mark

I thought is was a joke until you showed up on the ferry with the cash!

Jeff
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 14:54   #3460
Marine Service Provider

Make sure to send Neville that pic! Something for his 35 years of toil!
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:42   #3461

Haha! Hey, ‘boatguy’ be jeff!!!
Hi mate- jeff be th pirate that conned me into buying that b... searunner! After hooning about the pacific for some time jeff sold his mono & ended up in nz where sentiment over-rode sense & he bought THAT TRI. The christchurch earthquake & partner dropping babies drove him home to the usa- where he started the next project from scratch- we wont forgive you for building a -yuk- cat... But the vardo sounds like a sweeti. Might meet you in fiji yet- hi to family
Cheers, mark

Ps, hav come across a few searunners over here now- & hi rossad, heard there was a 37 nearby- met another 37 from tauranga- saw a 31 there too, couple sweet 34s in auckland, & bloke down coromandel way who made para anchors [i bought one- brill] had a 40. Met denis lobb down palmerston north, was marple & browns nz rep, [had 3 tris]- david hatcher was harbour master here- crossed lotta ponds with ‘oceaneer.’
Old 12-08-2016, 08:14   #3462

Ah Jeff you rascal,
Ran away and built a cat too. Sounds like the Searunner wound up in the right hands, in lesser hands that could have been an albatross around the neck. The Vardo is a good family boat, probably a easier build too. I know you've been having fun sailing, Richard got a good blend of features for the family in that design.

Good to hear about so many Searunners sailing in NZ.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:05   #3463
Marine Service Provider

Reckon he's a pretty friendly bloke still talking to me. The best of hands for that boat. I was not in a situation to make the needed work happen and the SR 34 was just a tad small.

Will be in new bern, NC tonight to check out the SMJ, aj's searunner 36 , 38? Cat. Lest mark correct me the only cat heir to the searunner legacy.

Homeward bound finishing up a 2,000 mile summer cruise. Will bring us to around 4,000 nm since launched 26 months ago
Old 19-09-2016, 11:38   #3464

Good day everyone!

I have been interested in Searunners for quite some time but have yet to actually own or sail on one. I did read the "Case for Cruising Multihull" and loved it.

My last vessel was an F-27. It was certainly a fun boat. I live on St. Croix and we mainly used it to island hop from St. Croix to St. Thomas. We always made great time with average speeds of 10-11 knots. But it was not the most comfortable boat and we had to really pick our days since I was taking my wife and four year old son at the time.

But that boat has me hooked on multihulls and trimarans. I really loved the responsiveness of that F-27 and it was so much fun to be helmsman.

So anyways, an SR31 in FL is available and I'm very interested. This boat would serve the same purpose of the F-27 as an island hopper and surf chaser but I would also like to do some down island exploring so having a more comfortable boat is needed. I know it won't be as fast as an F-27 but I'm hoping they are capable of making good speeds during corssings.

Here is the boat: https://www.popyachts.com/trimaran-s...florida-100702

Can anyone give me some feedback on the Searunner 31 design and what they think of this particular specimen? Would I be better off waiting for a nice Marples or larger Searunner to become available? One of my concerns is getting the boat down here. I am not able to take two months off from work to sail her down through Bahamas, TCI and windward passage. Would a Captain take on a delivery of this kind of boat to the Caribbean? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.
MTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 13:30   #3465

Boat: 1971 Searunner 37

Mtang

I do not know much about the SR-31 but I have a 1982 SR 37 here on St. Thomas. I keep her moored out by Water Island. It would be a short trip over here to see her and I could give you a sail on a weekend. She is not for sale but would give you some insight into the design and characteristics of the boat.

"Waiting" for a bigger boat to come along may take awhile. I have only seen one other SR down here in 7 years and she was from Florida - SR 37 "Moon" taking her family down island. I found my boat on Culebra in 2010.

They are great boats but need upkeep.
All the best,
Bob Petersen
aquavitae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran