Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2019, 04:32   #1

Number of Toggles on Standing Rigging

We are working on a 1972 project boat and started to explore the rigging. After closer inspection, we found that almost all wire ropes should probably be replaced. We realized that the previous owner(s) did accumulate a whole range of different wire sizes, terminals, turnbuckles, toggles during the boats 40+ year journey and we are trying to standardize everything now a bit.

While re-designing the rigging configurations I came across the question if there is an advantage or disadvantage on how many toggles you use in each stay or shroud. The previous rigging had toggles everywhere in large numbers. I understand that one toggle connected to one turnbuckle is a minimum, but is there any reason (apart from maybe extending the lengths of your shroud) to have multiple toggles per wire?
GwalarnYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 05:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Number of Toggles on Standing Rigging

Wow! Sounds like it's time to simplify. As long as you can adjust the turnbuckle without twisting or untwisting the shroud, additional toggles just seem like more opportunities for your rigging to disasterously fail.
Old 16-06-2019, 06:06   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

A 72 boat probably had the turnbuckles with fixed forks top and bottom. So generally you'd need a toggle on the bottom of each one. Occasionally, one more is needed of the alignment of the chainplate is especially poor like often happens on a backstay. But you'll need new chainplates on a boat that age so plenty of chances to fix that also!
Old 16-06-2019, 15:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
A 72 boat probably had the turnbuckles with fixed forks top and bottom. So generally you'd need a toggle on the bottom of each one. Occasionally, one more is needed of the alignment of the chainplate is especially poor like often happens on a backstay. But you'll need new chainplates on a boat that age so plenty of chances to fix that also!
Thank you for the input Boatguy30, Unfortunately, the rigging was taken down before I got involved, hard to tell if the chainplates are at the right position without rigging everything first. Currently, I installed them back at the exact place where they were, after rebuilding the deck.
Old 17-06-2019, 10:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

While I don't think the odds of a single toggle failing are that high, I would go with the simpler, cleaner approach. One toggle at each chainplate should provide enough articulation to allow the turnbuckle to align with the tension on the shroud.

A friend of mine does use toggles to adjust the rake of his mast for extensive downwind vs. upwind sailing. By adding one or two to his forestay, and removing them from his backstay, he can adjust the rake and move his CE fore and aft.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 16:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
While I don't think the odds of a single toggle failing are that high, I would go with the simpler, cleaner approach. One toggle at each chainplate should provide enough articulation to allow the turnbuckle to align with the tension on the shroud.

A friend of mine does use toggles to adjust the rake of his mast for extensive downwind vs. upwind sailing. By adding one or two to his forestay, and removing them from his backstay, he can adjust the rake and move his CE fore and aft.

Chuck
Interesting what you mention about the rake application.

Tags
rigging