Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2019, 12:23   #1

Boat: Bristol 30
Installing and rigging an outhual

Follow up to my Boom Vang question here. Thank you all so much for the responses.

I'm installing a 4:1 purchase outhaul on my Bristol 30. I was going to use two fiddle blocks at the portside of my boom ending with a cam cleat on the boom. If that isn't enough, I will add a cascade block. Boom is nothing special, another original old school roller reefing (external) boom.

Mainsail is a standard mainsail with a shelf foot on barrel slides (not pictured).

My question - should I put the blocks on a track? Is it okay with the blocks just hanging there, only supported by rope tension?

Would love to see photos of your external outhaul setups, especially on similar sized boats.

Old 26-02-2019, 13:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Installing and rigging an outhual

Running the outhaul from a padeye on one side to the clew of the sail and back to a cheek block on the there side and then forward forward to a cleat will give you 2-1 purchase which should be adequate force multiplier for an outhaul on your sized boat. Adding a block to the sail clew would reduce friction even more. If you needed more power, a cascade block on the outhaul tail would do it. Install a couple of strap eyes to contain the outhaul line igoing forward if any droop bothers you. The PO on my Sabre added another cheek block to turn the outhaul line back with a clam cleat over the companionway so outhaul tension could be adjusted from the cockpit.

From the pictures doesn't look like you are set up for jiffy/slab reefing even though you have reefing cringles on the sail. For the cost of one or two cheek blocks and a couple of cleats, it would make a world of difference reefing the sail. Wouldn't even try to use the roller reefing. It can ruin a sail with one reef attempt.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 14:24   #3

Thank you. all my reef hardware is on the stbd side. I hve a very simple setup. Stbd side cleat holds reefling line at one end, goes up and through the cringle, back down to a block that is on a track, then forward to the mast to another block and a cleat. Forward cringle is manually hooked tot he gooseneck as the mainsail comes down.

I need to add another one since my new sail is coming with 3 reef points. For bay work (chesapeake) I was going to run the lines on 1 and 2 or 1 and 3. For offshore work (first one is coming up later this year, DMV penninsula circumnav, probably solo) I would run 2 and 3.

is 2:1 purchase really enough? Buying less blocks (just a few cheek blocks) is appealing since it'll save me money.
Old 26-02-2019, 19:16   #4

I’d say, do a simple test. If you have some bullet blocks laying around, rig up a 2:1 and a 4:1 to see what works best.
Keep in mind that the more purchase, the longer the tail that you’ll need to need keep from coming loose and getting tangled.
On my racing boats we always used a lot more purchase to be able to adjust under load. On my cruiser, I don’t adjust outhaul that often and when I do, I flog the main to take off the load.
I’d be more concerned with keeping my boom as snag free as possible - cleats and higher profile cheek blocks have a habit of snagging other lines at the worst time when sailing alone - just my opinion.
Down East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 10:11   #5

A counter-question: What you perceive the function of the outhaul to be? I'm not being snarky- just trying to guide your thoughts into a useful channel, both in regard to your outhaul, and in regard to other aspects of your rigging.

ALWAYS ask this question: "What is the PURPOSE (of this piece of gear)". It is by following the infinite regression of questions and answers that will flow from the first question that you get real understanding.

As RoverHi, who knows what he is talking about, tells you, a multiplier of 2/1 is enuff. For a Bristol 30 in the cruising trade it is, IMO, MORE than enuff. On this boat, in this trade, you don't need a force multiplier at all. However, using one, set up as RoverHi tells you, is the easy way to place the falls of the outhaul readily to hand at the foot of the mast.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 10:13   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

Why not put your outhaul inside the boom. That's the way mine is. In nearly 30 years of ownership I've restrung it twice. Lots of sea miles too.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 10:40   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I would say a lashing is adequate for the way most people sail. If you still want a 4:1 do a cascade setup with the 2:1 to claw as suggested then a single block on the working end of that first piece
Old 27-02-2019, 14:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsonora View Post

Sorry I have to ask why!?!

This is not a loose footed main. Therefore, once the outhaul is set, and the foot of the sail is tightened, easing it will have nominal affect on sail shape.

Simply take some dyneema and lash it- 2 turns and you will get a 4-1 advantage. There are many other ways to spend this money.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 14:31   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Sorry I have to ask why!?!

This is not a loose footed main. Therefore, once the outhaul is set, and the foot of the sail is tightened, easing it will have nominal affect on sail shape.

Simply take some dyneema and lash it- 2 turns and you will get a 4-1 advantage. There are many other ways to spend this money.
Agreed! Don't overcomplicate the issue. Snore's suggestion of slippery dyneema and a two part lashing will serve quite well.

Jim
Old 14-03-2019, 07:56   #10

Thank you. New mainsail is going to be on bolt slides, making it easier to tune. but at the same time I fail to see why i shouldn't just go with the dyneema idea, even if I had a loose footed sail.

Tags
rigging