Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2009, 16:32   #1

Crossing Gulf of Mexico Late December to January?

I need some good advice on moving my boat from Isla Mujeres to Corpus Christi or South Padre Island in late December or early January. What are the chances of a good weather window and is it better to coast hop along Mexico to say Merida and/or Veracruz and then angle up to south Texas? What (and where should I look to learn) are the currents like in that direction? I have some charts of (many, many) oil rigs in American waters but what about in Mexican waters? If this time frame doesn't work what other time would be advisable? Also where in the area of Brownsville would I find an inexpensive DIY marina where I can refurbish the interior. It's a 38' FP catamaran. Thanks for your consideration!
mickinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 17:33   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Happy new boat ownership
I've crossed in december, straight across is good. Not a coast cruising gal when it comes to the gulf. It should be south easterly until about 3/4 of the way, then it starts to clock to the north. OR, you may get lucky and get a SE all the way to CC. The gulf stream runs north so you are good to go. I'll check my pilot chart, but maybe GORD can put one up for you....
Anyone else have a crossing in December?

Cheers, say hi to the dolphins for me, and have fun!
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 17:54   #3

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
I don't know about Brownsville, but Rockport, Tx has a good DIY yard..

House of Boats :: Full Service Boatyard and Haul Out in Rockport TX
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 18:09   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
From Isla to Corpus is only about 710 miles (nautical), which, averaging 5 knts, should only take about 5-6 daze. You can download weather from www.PassageWeather.com; and, you can get a good idea of prevailing winds from the Pilot Charts posted at Maritime Safety Information. (Look up South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico for the month you're planning.)

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 18:18   #5

Boat: Watkins 27
Give Nautical Landing Marina in Port Lavaca a call (0800 to 1000hrs) Monday thru Friday. We work on our boat here all the time and don't have to haul out to do so. Not sure if they can handle a 38' cat at this time. I'll see if I can find their website and post back.

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 18:39   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
From Isla to Corpus is only about 710 miles (nautical), which, averaging 5 knts, should only take about 5-6 daze. You can download weather from www.PassageWeather.com; and, you can get a good idea of prevailing winds from the Pilot Charts posted at Maritime Safety Information. (Look up South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico for the month you're planning.)

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte

I went to have a look-see and got this far...

Atlas of Pilot Charts - Pub. 105return to main viewAtlas of Pilot Charts South Atlantic OceanEdition: 1995 View/Download PublicationThere are no files associated with this publication.

OOPS
Then I went back and saw this......

The Atlas of Pilot Charts of the South Atlantic Ocean and the North Pacific Ocean(NGA Pubs 105 and 108, respectively) are not yet available for download, as they are still awaiting digital conversion.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 20:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I second PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers.

With some luck and a good weather window, you can catch a break without a norther. It should be an easy sail if the prevailing south-southeasterlies hold. Just be prepared to slog the last couple of hundred miles under power, if you have to. I would not choose the coastal hopping method. Just not a great section of coast to do it.

If you need to haul your boat, House of Boats is great. If you don't, the Corpus Christi City Marina is really good about letting folks work on their boats. Just don't damage/spray neighboring boats or pollute. We have friends with what amounts to a small portable woodshop on their finger pier, on a regular basis. Port Lavaca is a good choice, but supplies are NOT nearby. Rockport is OK. CC has West Marine and Bluewater Supply, along with the normal Home Depot and Lowes.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 06:31   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
(Look up South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico for the month you're planning.)
I miss spoke. You should look at Publication 106---Atlas of Pilot Charts North Atlantic Ocean (including Gulf of Mexico), 2002. I apologise for the confusion.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 08:22   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
...You should look at Publication 106---Atlas of Pilot Charts North Atlantic Ocean (including Gulf of Mexico), 2002...
Atlas of Pilot Charts - North Atlantic Ocean (including Gulf of Mexico), 2002
Maritime Safety Information

nga.mil/portal/site/maritime/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&beanID=461216974&viewID=detail_vie w

December
http://www.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...106/106dec.pdf

January
http://www.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...106/106jan.pdf

Synopsis
http://www.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...6/106synop.pdf

Cover
http://www.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...6/106cover.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 11:11   #10

Wow and thanks!

What a lot of great information! I appreciate your time in giving me such useful info and links.
mickinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 13:57   #11

Boat: lagoon 450f
Re: Crossing Gulf of Mexico Late December to January?

thank you so much al info incredibly useful
Popeye99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, sailing, texas, Mexico, gulf of mexico