Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 06:25   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Ballpark Delivery Costs

Happy 2018!

As my wife and I transition from casually browsing boats to seriously shopping, I am trying to factor all potential costs into what we can really afford. Our plan is to live aboard on the Texas Gulf Coast (likely Kemah) for a year or two. Doing so will allow both of us to continue working (she teaches, I work from home), and give our family a four time to ease into the new lifestyle, learn the boat, etc.

There are definitely boats along the Gulf Coast, but more than likely, we will buy a boat outside of Texas. I am curious to know if anyone can shed some light on the price of boat deliveries. Obviously, it will vary depending on location and other factors, but is there a ballpark (I generally like to estimate high, just in case) range someone could provide for delivering a boat from, say, the east coast of Florida or SC to the Kemah area?

Sorry to ask such a vague question...just trying to get a handle on purchase costs beyond just the price of a boat. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:42   #2

Boat: None
Re: Ballpark Delivery Costs

You can do this quite cheaply if you skipper the boat and pick up one or two crew of the kind who do it for fun. The quality of those crew, though, can vary widely.

Meanwhile it can run $300-$600 or more per day for a full professional crew with an absentee owner.

Via truck can be cheaper for a small boat, but the cost goes up a lot as the boat size goes up, and it quickly becomes cheaper to hire a crew and move the boat over water.

Disclaimer: I have not paid to have a boat delivered. I have researched this topic as a boat buyer.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:45   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Don't forget the yard costs on each end of the delivery: stepping, un-stepping the mast, haulout, loading/unloading and any downtime for adjustments/repairs. These can significantly add dollars to the total amount of the delivery. I hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 04-01-2018, 06:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ballpark Delivery Costs

A skipper will run you between $250 and $500/day depending on source.. then there's fuel, marina and travel costs on top.. and any crew expense's if crew is needed.
So for a ballpark figure calculate the mileage along the shortest feasible route at 100nm/day and you'll be 'in the ballpark'

PS: If the boats in the water already and arriving at a pre-booked berth at your home port forget all the stepping unstepping loading stuff above.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:32   #5

Boat: None at the moment

Thank you for the replies! Very helpful and I appreciate it!
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 17:55   #6
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Greetings,

Not sure if this is of any value to you but we shipped a Lagoon 35CCC catamaran from LaPaz to Victoria British Columbia two years ago for $15K USD. Seemed like a great deal to me as no mast/rigging removal, very little prep needed to make boat ready for loading/transit/unloading, and about 10 days total to get here. Cheaper rates can be had if your schedule is flexible as they will use your boat to fill last minute openings.

Safe Journeys,

~The Beachcombers
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 13:47   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A skipper will run you between $250 and $500/day depending on source.. then there's fuel, marina and travel costs on top.. and any crew expense's if crew is needed.
So for a ballpark figure calculate the mileage along the shortest feasible route at 100nm/day and you'll be 'in the ballpark'

PS: If the boats in the water already and arriving at a pre-booked berth at your home port forget all the stepping unstepping loading stuff above.

Boatie nailed it. Other variable is the condition of the boat. For example, if you get a boat that needs a new main sheet, it should be replaced BEFORE the delivery. If not the delivery crew would need to make for port to replace the sheet. On a run from Texas to Ft Laud anything that is at the end of its life will fail.

When you are ready, let me know and I would be happy to bid the job.

PS- just finished a delivery where the owner insisted on coming along. The admiral was sea sick to the point I almost declared a medical emergency and rerouted. So be sure you are up for the trip.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:08   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Agree, although I see competition from 150 - 600 $US/day. Watch the details - keeping travel expenses down, whether travel days to and from the boat are billed, weather delay policy, provisioning approach, and--especially coastal--whether the skipper pushes straight through or stops at marinas for the night. Fuel costs depend on the boat but also on the skipper - some don't sail much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
PS- just finished a delivery where the owner insisted on coming along. The admiral was sea sick to the point I almost declared a medical emergency and rerouted. So be sure you are up for the trip.
I do a lot of owner-aboard deliveries and have had some great experiences. As you say sometimes there are complications. *grin* As a customer you have to be honest and forthcoming with your skipper just as you expect him or her to be honest with you.

There is much more to budgeting than the day rate of your skipper.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery