Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2017, 10:08   #1

Anchor tackle and techniques for 44’ sailing cat in the Bahamas

Hi all,

I have a 73 lb Rocna and 300 ‘ of chain on a lagoon 440. Headed to the Bahamas next week and will cruise leisurely south to Martinique over the next few months.

Any specific advice for additional anchor tackle and perhaps more importantly, anchor techniques best for a cat in the Bahamas cruising grounds?

Much appreciated.

Xhog
xhogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 14:47   #2

Re: Anchor tackle and techniques for 44’ sailing cat in the Bahamas

Cruised all over the Bahamas, used the Rocna and 100 ft of chain in an average of 6 ft of water (around 1 ft tide). The wind can come in from the north / west at times in gusts over 50 knots, that is why we have a reasonable scope. The trick is finding sand among the turtle grass, so best to anchor in daylight. Active Captain is also very useful for picking places to anchor. We have active captain downloaded to Garmin Blue charts on the ipad - an excellent resource.

In the Bahamas sometimes the bottom looks like good sand, but it may be just a shallow layer on top of rock, so always worth snorkeling over the anchor to see that it is set (except in Marsh Harbour - yech!).

We only used stern anchor once at Double Breasted Cay, Abacos - anchored in a narrow channel with tidal movement going back and forth.

In the BVI and other islands that have 6 ft of water close to the shore we used to drop the Rocna in sand and then stern tie to shore so 100+ ft of nylon mooring line comes in useful. You can put a bridle on the stern cleats and use one line. Others use a line to each hull. Watch for sea urchins wading ashore.

So we have been cruising Eastern Caribbean for 3 years from Grenada to Florida, used a stern anchor once (fortress) and it did a good job in pure white deep sand..
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 15:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Cruised all over the Bahamas, used the Rocna and 100 ft of chain in an average of 6 ft of water (around 1 ft tide). The wind can come in from the north / west at times in gusts over 50 knots, that is why we have a reasonable scope. The trick is finding sand among the turtle grass, so best to anchor in daylight. Active Captain is also very useful for picking places to anchor. We have active captain downloaded to Garmin Blue charts on the ipad - an excellent resource.

In the Bahamas sometimes the bottom looks like good sand, but it may be just a shallow layer on top of rock, so always worth snorkeling over the anchor to see that it is set (except in Marsh Harbour - yech!).

We only used stern anchor once at Double Breasted Cay, Abacos - anchored in a narrow channel with tidal movement going back and forth.

In the BVI and other islands that have 6 ft of water close to the shore we used to drop the Rocna in sand and then stern tie to shore so 100+ ft of nylon mooring line comes in useful. You can put a bridle on the stern cleats and use one line. Others use a line to each hull. Watch for sea urchins wading ashore.

So we have been cruising Eastern Caribbean for 3 years from Grenada to Florida, used a stern anchor once (fortress) and it did a good job in pure white deep sand..

Thanks for this.

Warm Regards
Old 16-11-2017, 08:23   #4

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

With your Rocna and chain setup you are just fine. I spent last winter in the Exumas with a 55lb Rocna and 200' of 3/8" chain and never had a single issue. I've found the Rocna to hold well in either grass or sand.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 10:45   #5

Thanks, lowcountry
Old 17-11-2017, 08:04   #6

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I will add that I typically put out 5:1 scope and use a good nylon snubber.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 08:26   #7

Sounds like you are good to go if you have a second anchor as back up. Your anchor is much bigger than the 45# I had in the Caribe on a 42 cat. The Bahamas are anchoring heaven easy and white sand, although there are some spots with hard pan under a few inches of sand.
I would stick to one anchor. There are a few small anchorages with some current between islets in the Bahamas, if you try two anchors you will end up with a rode that is twisted about 100 twists. Dont ask how I know.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Bahamas, sail, sailing