Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 18:36   #1

Rescue Bond XL1 - too good to be true or simply amazing?

A recent ActiveCaptain newsletter was promoting Rescue Bond XL1 as a better substitute for 5200. Rescue Bond XL1 is from the maker of Rescue Tape, which is good stuff. we

From reading Jeffrey's newsletter and the Red Head (the company that produces Rescue Tape and Rescue Bond) website, it sounds amazing, even too good to be true.

What experience have others had with it?
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 10:28   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Rescue Bond XL1 - too good to be true or simply amazing?

A better substitute for what specific application? 5200 is pretty unbeatable for those applications it's well suited for; it's adhesive strength is legend, it's waterproof, and it lasts, when protected from UV, for virtually forever.

My old 30 year old port lights were bedded in 5200. When I pulled them out, the 5200 looked like it was brand new, and the only leak I found was pretty very small and clearly from application error.

Given that proven track record I would go with the proven solution unless I needed to use an adhesive sealant on something that 5200 would not stick to, and I don't know what that is. I don't see any other feature of the XL1 that distinguishes it.

Stuff you put together/seal with 5200, you're planning on it being permanent or semi-permanent, and not something you have to worry about for years and years. That seems like the wrong application in which to use some new product that has an unproven working service life.

Edit:

Found this on another forum, from late last year, when researching the product:

Just started using a new to the US product called Rescue Bond. It's from my friend who owns Rescue Tape, and he's really excited about this product. We're kind of "testing" it around the boat, even though it's been used extensively in Europe and elsewhere. So far we've rebed a deck prism on the foredeck (which doesn't leak for the first time in years), filled holes in the upper deck (no leaks again) and fixed peeling non-skid strips on the fly bridge ladder. So far so good. We'll keep using it on more things we find.

If the owner of Rescue Tape is "testing it" on his friend's boat, that does not exactly inspire confidence. Given that it's been used outside the US before being distributed by Rescue Tape, I'd be curious to know what it is.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 15:17   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Rescue Bond XL1 - too good to be true or simply amazing?

I bought a tube off Amazon when I first heard about it. One huge benefit was that it came with a cap that allowed it to be covered and re-used later. Unlike 5200, which is pretty much a one-use tube.

The vendor shipped it without the cap. Plus I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Anyway, my point is, if the claim of re-usability is true, I like it already.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue