Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 12:10   #1

Lightbulb Leaving From SE Asia Early/Mid May

Hi! It's awesome to join the community. I am a 27 year old Male and I recently quit my job as a Project Manager in San Francisco to explore the world and meet new people. I'm currently taking sailing lessons at OCSC in the Bay Area and by the time you read this will probably have my US Sailing Certification in Basic Keelboat and Basic Cruising.

In a perfect world I would meet a potential Captain at a Harbor somewhere in South East Asia to grab dinner/drinks and meet the crew. I have no intention of racing or making a large passage (although I would), but would rather enjoy cruising around the beautiful islands and enjoying the beaches etc.

I would like to join a sail boat sometime in early May and than get off sometime in Late June to Early July. I could be at the complete mercy of the Captains itinerary. As of right now I am debating buying a plane flight into either Bali, Indonesia or Singapore.

I am about as easy going as it gets... love to crack jokes and go on social adventures, but I don't mind keeping to myself and reading either. I am taking a huge leap of faith in life after quitting my safety net job and am definitely still a little scared about it, but I know seeing the world by boat is a once in a lifetime adventure. I plan to purchase my own boat someday.

Any and all advice is very much appreciated. It's all pretty overwhelming trying to figure out which path to take to beginning something like this. I've made a profile on findacrew.net as well.

I am a hard worker, quick learner, and will absolutely bring a fun and positive attitude to whomever I join. Thank you for reading and I hope to see you out there!
Old 18-03-2016, 13:46   #2

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: Leaving From SE Asia Early/Mid May

Why don't you sail around at where you live in SFO first. Catch a crewing position to southward if opportunity arises. Make yourself to central America and catch another boat crossing the pacific. Eventually ends up in SE Asia if you like.

By doing this way, you can build your experience in a timely manner and minimize your risk. OK, it may take you longer to SE Asia. But what is the rush!!!
Old 20-03-2016, 22:51   #3

Re: Leaving From SE Asia Early/Mid May

Hi rockDawg, thanks for the advice. That's what I'm doing in the Bay Area as we speak.

I will be in SE Asia May through July regardless so I'm hoping someone on here picks up on that and can possibly link up.

Tags
Asia