Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2015, 21:07   #1

Boat: Islander 30' MKII
Places to visit along Lake Superior

I'm calling to all Lake Superior sailors. I have a summer worth of cruising to fill up. I already have a general idea on where I'm going to go and where I want to visit. I'm just wondering if you guys have any recommendations of places that are a must see. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also I'm new to the cruisers forum and was not sure where to post this. If this is not the correct sub-forum please let me know. Cheers
_wason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 21:27   #2

Re: Places to visit along Lake Superior

Apostle islands. In particular the seacaves on the western part. Also, try Stockton Island. Very high density of black bears. Look for them on the beaches as the sun starts going down, especially on the north shore.

Obviously, there is also isle royal, and a whole bunch of island on the north shore of Superior. Have not been up that far, but people rave about them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 21:39   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Oh man, there's a lifetime of cruising possibilities on Superior. As a Canadian I'm most familiar with the north and eastern shores. I'd be happy to suggest tons of places, but perhaps you can tell us what kind of things you're looking for. Urban marinas, remote anchorages, wilderness, community harbours, swimming, waterfalls, saunas, wildlife, fishing spots... The possibilities are long.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 27-12-2015, 03:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Get Bonnie Dahl’s guide “Superior Way: The Cruising Guide to Lake Superior”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 08:48   #5

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

I sailed L Superior for about 15 years. A second for Bonnie Dahl, her anchoring suggestions are very helpful. Apostle Isalands are National Park, so except for one, there is no commercial activity. Sand Island or Devil's island in the Apostles, for the sea caves, but Devil's only with a day hook in light or no wind behind the NE corner. Worth watching for a day for it. Oak I, N bay. Heck, you could spend a month in the Apostles. Go see all the lighthouses. Bayfield is a fun town, lots to buy, eat, and see. Duluth Harbor with slips on both Duluth end and Superior end. Downtown Duluth across the Lift bridge. Anchorages on the Superior end of the Harbor. Grand Marias and the harbors on the N.Shore on the trip up. On the North end of Houghten Peninsula is Copper Harbor. Straight through the Houghten Pensinsula is a canal, Houghten/Hancock is a great stop for a few days. Isle Royale is a classically beautiful natural showcase of the north. I suspect the entire Canadian shoreline is similar, Mike O'Reilly can speak to that, I will go there when I return. Feel free with any questions or need for details.
Old 27-12-2015, 09:14   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yes, Bonnie's guide is the bible for cruising Superior. Another good source for anchorage info is the Great Lakes Cruising Club. Their reports are also good, but there is an annual membership fee (forget how much).

The online sources like Active Captain and Waterway Guide are beginning to become more useful. AC depends on crowdsourced data, so is pretty sketchy for the Canadian shores (b/c of the small number of people cruising the area). Waterway Guide is produced by "cruising editors." I personally know the WG editor has passed through there, and is updating the website (I know, b/c I helped ).
Old 27-12-2015, 10:36   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Ditto to all the above. This past July we spent three weeks on the Canadian side and were no less than thrilled. And we saw no one until we got to the music festival in Red Rock. Great event and wonderful people.

Make sure you sail up the Nipigon River above the 49th parallel. Then walk up to the town office where they will issue you a certificate of accomplishment!

We were very satisfied with the Harbour Reports from GLCC. Very detailed and "mostly" up to date.

On more thing...NO PETS on or around Ile Royal, MI. The is a 50 yr old rabies study going on and you don't want to be the one to screw it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-12-2015, 17:12   #8

I haven't cruised Lake Superior but I've spent many days hiking, exploring, hunting up there along Michigan's Lake Superior coast. Check out Grand Marais, MI, one of my favorite UP villages. Nice safe harbor, small public marina, sleepy little village with Lake Superior Brewery, the grocery and the hardware store all within easy walking distance. Just west of GM is Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore about 40 miles of shoreline with towering dunes and sandstone walls.

Marquette is another nice town to visit. It has several marinas and many restaurants and shops right at the shore.

Happy New Year!
phaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 05:39   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, Bonnie's guide is the bible for cruising Superior. Another good source for anchorage info is the Great Lakes Cruising Club. Their reports are also good, but there is an annual membership fee (forget how much)...
When you become a GLCC (Great Lakes Cruising Club) member, you gain access to a network of informative port captains, cruising guides, the online GLCC School, real-time harbor reports for more than 1,100 ports, and exclusive events hosted by the club.
GLCC membership carries one-time initiation fee ($90), and the yearly recurring dues ($115).
The Great Lakes Cruising Club

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:32   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We sailed from the SOO to Houghton in the Keeweenaw. In the Keeweenaw canal you can find bollards at each entrance for big ships. Use these for free overnight. In Houghton there is a park wall along the edge by the parking deck. Free docking & easy access to the coffee shop through the garage. Free Wi-Fi. Find the brew-pubs.

Sail the Superiotr islands - great scenery but no docking.

Sail into Marquette S harbor at Cinder Pond park. Access to downtown, shops, three brew pubs, good restaurants. We tied to the wall for 220 - 50 amp.

Sail into Munising. Well protected. Hike the big island and anchor in the south facing bay. Ice cream shop, library, coffee shop near the marina. Wi-Fi.

Plan to sail past the Pictured Rocks in nice weather with minimum wind. We ran the 20 foot depth line to stay close.

Sail into Grand Marais. Excellent harbor. GAS & Diesel. Be sure to eat at the brewing Company. Breakfast at the bakery & pastery shop cross-corner. Lots of local hikes available. Look for agates on the beach.

Do not try to enter Little Lake- usually silted entry.

You will find protected harbors in Whitefish Bay and the St Mary's River.

The Soo locks are free. You can lock down and tie up at a low fee or free with fuel purchase at the marina US side next to the museum ship. See the museum ship, Go up the tower. More brew pubs & some OK restaurants. Canadian side - Bushplane museum.

If you plan tyo drop anchor on the Canadian side you must deal with immigration even if you do not leave the boat.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 20:50   #11

Boat: The Walrus

Look for Batchewana Bay on the east side. Very scenic. Check out the falls. Harmony Beach has an incredible place for an All-you-can-eat Fish fry supper. Its awesome. Friday nights. We'll be rippin around on a Wayfarer 16 if you're there in August.

cheers
David

Tags
lake superior