Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2013, 19:53   #1

Boat: Hunter 356
!986 Hunter Legend 45 f/ Bluewater

I am considering a Hunter Legend 45 and would like some feedback - both positive and negative. Does anybody have experience with this particular boat? I am not setting out to circumnavigate but do not want to limit myself. I will probably end up bringing the Legend through the canal and up the East Coast with Delaware or DC as the final destination with a Med trip in the future. I am trying to find the old speed vs safety.

My initial thoughts on it are:
The Pros:

The Hunter was one of the fastest cruisers in the 80's according to its rating - it should be fast and fun to sail and I think it looks fantastic
The boat has been extensively upgraded for cruising with gear that looks "overdone" (the windlass is a monster)
There is enough room for me to convert the aft head to a workshop
The metal rigidity crossbar (a known issue) was added at some point
It has an aft stateroom - my wife's only requirement - for when we are at anchor
Is is a lot of boat for the money IMO

The Cons:
I don't feel great about an exposed rudder
The stern head's discharge is in a seacock above the waterline

Here is the listing:
1986 Hunter Legend 45 BAJA HAHA Ready Sail Boat For Sale -

and a picture
FightinGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 20:13   #2

Re: !986 Hunter Legend 45 f/ BLUEWATER

One more thing - Am I going to be able to make it to the best Caribbean anchorages with a 6'6" draft (think Soggy Dollar). Last time I was there was in a Cat
Old 20-08-2013, 00:10   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

My father used to have a '88 Hunter Legend 35 with a 6'6'' draft. Got us through some really rough weather, and was comfortable. I can only imagine the 45 being better in all aspects than the 35.

p.s. Can't attest to the Caribbean waters, but we sailed to the Dry Tortugas and Key West with no problems draft wise. We also had the boat docked in Sarasota, FL., which has pretty horrible passes into the Gulf.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 01:13   #4
cruiser

There are many better choices available, depends on your budget.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 02:54   #5

Boat: Manta 42
There are many great Hunter boats made over the years. The Hunter Legend series during the 90's were really well made. The Hunter 45 a late 80's boat, I believe had some flex issues and required some added structural stiffening. There should be information about these issues on a Hunter owner's forum.
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 03:44   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

A 6'6" draft in the Caribbean will not be an issue but will require just a bit more care in the Bahamas. Won't keep you out of any major cruising areas and you may have to anchor just a bit further out in some harbors but not a deal breaker at all.

Could say the same for FL, west coast more than the east coast and some spots in the ICW if you decide to go north, GA especially.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 03:51   #7

I think it is a great looking boat. The seating is unusual with the "car seats" but it looks very, very comfortable.

The aft cabin is wonderful!
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 04:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

He didn't ask about better choices. He asked about a particular boat.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 05:03   #9

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Go for it mate, a friend of mine sold their Legend 2 months ago, 30.000$, he buy a Ovni , btw, 6,6 draft is not a problem, but be sure the boat and the gear equip etc.. is in perfect shape, is listed a bit expensive in my opinion....There is another in yachtworld for 49000....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 11:18   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
He didn't ask about better choices. He asked about a particular boat.
OK then... We owned a more recent improved 1999 Hunter 450 Legend for three years. I would never consider sailing that boat beyond the sight of land and a towing service. It was a great coastal cruiser and dockside condo.... terrible in anything above 15 knots of wind. Lot's of flexing and the entire boat felt like it was coming apart when rocking at anchor. Electrical issues too, plus our keel came loose.

How's that? Specific enough? There are better choices for crossing the Atlantic. Sorry Don, but this guy wanted specifics and intended to cross the Atlantic.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 11:36   #11

Quote:
Yes, I understand that better boats certainly exist. If I was shopping for a Swan I wouldn't be in this price range. If you have better examples of boats in this range that have an Aft stateroom (my wife's only request for when at anchor) and capable of an easy 7-8 knot cruise please don't hesitate. Also, clean and already equipped to cruise. Thank You
Old 20-08-2013, 11:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamarich View Post
There are many great Hunter boats made over the years. The Hunter Legend series during the 90's were really well made. The Hunter 45 a late 80's boat, I believe had some flex issues and required some added structural stiffening. There should be information about these issues on a Hunter owner's forum.
Thank You. That was one of the first things I looked for on the boat. It does have a large metal flex rod
Old 20-08-2013, 11:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Go for it mate, a friend of mine sold their Legend 2 months ago, 30.000$, he buy a Ovni , btw, 6,6 draft is not a problem, but be sure the boat and the gear equip etc.. is in perfect shape, is listed a bit expensive in my opinion....There is another in yachtworld for 49000....
Do you happen to have the listing of the $30k boat? I could use it as a comp. Thanks
Old 20-08-2013, 11:40   #14

Quote:
OK then... We owned a more recent improved 1999 Hunter 450 Legend for three years. I would never consider sailing that boat beyond the sight of land and a towing service. It was a great coastal cruiser and dockside condo.... terrible in anything above 15 knots of wind. Lot's of flexing and the entire boat felt like it was coming apart when rocking at anchor. Electrical issues too, plus our keel came loose.

How's that? Specific enough? There are better choices for crossing the Atlantic. Sorry Don, but this guy wanted specifics and intended to cross the Atlantic.
Actually, that is closer to what I needed Do you want to sell that Oyster 53 Cutter for 80K
Old 20-08-2013, 12:17   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinGravity View Post
Yes, I understand that better boats certainly exist. If I was shopping for a Swan I wouldn't be in this price range. If you have better examples of boats in this range that have an Aft stateroom (my wife's only request for when at anchor) and capable of an easy 7-8 knot cruise please don't hesitate. Also, clean and already equipped to cruise. Thank You
There are other Hunter models that may be a better choice for you. If you're looking for other alternatives the Pearson 424 is an interesting option. Aft cockpit with an aft stateroom. Unusual in a boat this size but they made it work. Lots of them listed on yachtworld.com

Another option is the CSY 44. Those boats are built like a tank and have huge interior space. Not a rocket ship but it will get you there. The deep draft version points better than the shoal draft.

On a budget one of the best for the money and also very roomy is the Morgain OI 41. Sailing performance is good except close hauled. They don't point well at all but off the wind are fast enough.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, water