Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 09:44   #1

Standing rigging DM20 vs SK78?

SK78 seems still to be the most common dyneema, although the DM20 has no creep but less strength. A 8mm SK78 can take 7000kg, but a DM20 5000kg.

One option would be to go with a 10mm SK78 instead and the creep would be less. It would also give more strength..and more shaft protection.but with a heavier and more windage due larger size.

DM20 is more expensive...

What do you guys say?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 14:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Standing rigging DM20 vs SK78?

DM20 was designed for standing rigging. That'll be my next upgrade. 78 still creeps, even when pre-stretched. Why not split the difference and use 9mm DM20?

There is also prestretched sk99; Marlow calls it MAX 99. Strongest Dyneema, and it'll creep less than the same diameter of 78 because it'll be further from breaking load.

Probably expensive too....
Old 24-10-2018, 16:07   #3

I'm replacing rigging on my cutter this winter. What's the benefits of Dyneema to stainless in y'all's opinion?
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 23:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
I'm replacing rigging on my cutter this winter. What's the benefits of Dyneema to stainless in y'all's opinion?
1) Less weight aloft
2) Very easy to work with dyneema
3) Very easy to carry extra dyneema onboard incase of need of replacement
4) Easy to inspect
Old 25-10-2018, 11:34   #5

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
1) Less weight aloft
2) Very easy to work with dyneema
3) Very easy to carry extra dyneema onboard incase of need of replacement
4) Easy to inspect
the weight savings are way above the center of gravity, so the righting moment is improved; if you're a bluewater cruiser that should concern you.

also costs much less
Old 25-10-2018, 12:29   #6

Sure on the cost? I've tried to look for some US suppliers and it seems like I'm seeing numbers around $3.5K+ for same length of line that would cost me $1,200 in steel. Over twice as much: hardware would cost me something for the wire but not that much.

Not being negative, there doesn't seem to be very much info I can find on synthetic rigging.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 14:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Sure on the cost? I've tried to look for some US suppliers and it seems like I'm seeing numbers around $3.5K+ for same length of line that would cost me $1,200 in steel. Over twice as much: hardware would cost me something for the wire but not that much.

Not being negative, there doesn't seem to be very much info I can find on synthetic rigging.
Options aren't that much yet....but with some creativity it gets less...
DM20 is usually 8mm at about 16-20 use/m...thimbles you can fund at about 10-20 usd. To use sta lok...look at about 60-100 use/pcs. 3/8" is about 10usd/m.
Old 25-10-2018, 16:04   #8

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
Options aren't that much yet....but with some creativity it gets less...
DM20 is usually 8mm at about 16-20 use/m...thimbles you can fund at about 10-20 usd. To use sta lok...look at about 60-100 use/pcs. 3/8" is about 10usd/m.
What are you using for thimbles? The ones from Colligo are much pricier than that. I was looking at changing an inner forestay but the cost of end fittings seemed high.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 17:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalcove View Post
What are you using for thimbles? The ones from Colligo are much pricier than that. I was looking at changing an inner forestay but the cost of end fittings seemed high.
You can use the stainless steel sailmaker's thimbles from Ronstan if you want a closed sort; otherwise, any heavy-duty teardrop thimble will do. I have used many of both stainless and galvanized on synthetic rigging. If you like the look of them, the round aluminum low-friction-rings are suitable.
That said, the Colligo kit is the classiest-looking if you're doing lanyards.
Old 25-10-2018, 18:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
You can use the stainless steel sailmaker's thimbles from Ronstan if you want a closed sort; otherwise, any heavy-duty teardrop thimble will do. I have used many of both stainless and galvanized on synthetic rigging. If you like the look of them, the round aluminum low-friction-rings are suitable.
That said, the Colligo kit is the classiest-looking if you're doing lanyards.
Thanks Ben!
I was concerned if sailmakers thimbles would distort under load. The Colligo thimbles are solid and look stronger. The low friction rings do look good and I’m planning to use them when I make up some running backstays.
Old 26-10-2018, 03:05   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalcove View Post
Thanks Ben!
I was concerned if sailmakers thimbles would distort under load. The Colligo thimbles are solid and look stronger. The low friction rings do look good and I’m planning to use them when I make up some running backstays.
Sailmaker's thimbles take a lot of load to distort, but when they do, it's your first clue....kind of like a fuse. I doubt you'd put enough strain on 3/8" dyneema to distort one, though. Especially if you terminate with a lashing and the load is thus spread. I bent one with a hydraulic puller and a LOT of force. Alu rings take a far higher load to distort--haven't bent one yet, even at 8,000#
Old 26-10-2018, 08:10   #12

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Has anyone addressed the furler issue with respect to synthetic rigging?
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 08:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Sailmaker's thimbles take a lot of load to distort, but when they do, it's your first clue....kind of like a fuse. I doubt you'd put enough strain on 3/8" dyneema to distort one, though. Especially if you terminate with a lashing and the load is thus spread. I bent one with a hydraulic puller and a LOT of force. Alu rings take a far higher load to distort--haven't bent one yet, even at 8,000#
That’s good to know! I’ll make up a set of running backstays this winter and look at replacing the staysail stay as well. Thanks!
Old 26-10-2018, 18:17   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Has anyone addressed the furler issue with respect to synthetic rigging?
I will address it now: You should never have a furler anyway, so the issue is a false dilemma.

For those who insist on furling, there are code-0 type furlers which don't touch the forestay. They simply ship aft of the synthetic forestay.
Old 26-10-2018, 18:47   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I will address it now: You should never have a furler anyway, so the issue is a false dilemma.
Good grief, Ben, give it a rest. This has been an informative thread up till now, please do not sidetrack it with off topic personal opinions.

And, as far as I know, no one is recommending use of furlers on non-wire stays. However, if one used one of the furlers that incorporate a full length plastic bearing tube (or nearly such), perhaps it isn't such an outrageous idea. Dyneema is pretty chafe resistant stuff and it just might work. I'm not volunteering to be the alpha test case, though!

Jim

Tags
rigging