Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 05:41   #1

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter
Want to Buy: Manual Windlass

I have a good friend looking to buy a manual windlass for his Catalina 30. I saw some older posts on the site, but does anyone have a more current option they might want to sale. His boat is located in Maine.

Thanks
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 05:59   #2

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Want to Buy: Manual Windlass

where is your friend located?
weight is a consideration for shipping
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 06:02   #3

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter

Great point, thanks for the catch. His boat in located Maine, near Bangor.
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 11:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 22 Charles Crosby Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtjp View Post
I have a good friend looking to buy a manual windlass for his Catalina 30. I saw some older posts on the site, but does anyone have a more current option they might want to sale. His boat is located in Maine.

Thanks
I found a few you might be interested in.
Please send PM with direct email, this will preserve links.

PS - I also do daily checks for "new" online inventory, let me know if you would like additional options as they show up.

Doug
Old 30-07-2018, 10:24   #5

Boat: S2 11.0a

I have a Simpson-Lawrence Seatiger 555 I would like to sell. I will have to get specifics on the gypsy it has. As mentioned, it is heavy and would probably have to ship as 2 packages - the main unit in one, the bar in another...

Best offer. I will post specifics and pics later, plus weights for reference.
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 12:50   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Goderich 35

I have a Simpson/Lawerence 555 - completely rebuilt - housing sandblasted and epoxy painted, new mainshaft, all new bushings, new bottom plate, filled with synthetic grease.
Gypsy is for 3/8" BBB chain of which I have approx 150' in good condition - fresh water use and minimal at that. Windlass $1000., chain $250. Canadian dollars ! Located in southwestern Ontario. Freight extra.
aquafacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 18:59   #7

Boat: Flicka 20

First thing I ordered for my Flicka. I use 1/4” chain so I wasn’t going to find a windlass for that anyway. I purchased a Lofrans manual windlass and couldn’t be happier. Defender had reasonable freight considering I purchased a Mason anchor and 150 feet of nylon rode too. Freight was less than $50 and I live in Montana.

New is sometimes the way to go.

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 19:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Bacon's in Annapolis always has a couple on consignment
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 11:10   #9

Boat: S2 11.0a

FYI, Simpson-Lawrence Seatiger 555 manual windlass weighs as follows:

Windlass base unit - 41 lbs/18.6 kg
Handle bar - 3.375 lbs/1.5 kg

It has the B64 gypsy.

The first digit after the letter(s) gives you the number of pockets and the last digit is the gipsy design revision. I have been advised it should fit the following chains:

7/16” with a pitch of 33mm
1/2” with a pitch of 34.2mm

Make offer ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180731_123142.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	174672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180731_123129.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	174673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180731_123119.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	174674  
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 11:47   #10
rbk

Boat: T37

I am also in the market for a 555 if any are available. My GD knockoff is dying so time for the real deal.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 17:18   #11
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

We also bought a Lofrans Royal horizontal windlass. I love it, and I'm the one that uses it most. We mounted it fairly high, on a 6 inch plinth on the foredeck.

I happily used a Sea Tiger for many years too. It was great, although the chain would sometimes jam in the chain stripper. We also fabricated a much longer handle so I could crank without getting on my knees.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 17:59   #12
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
We also bought a Lofrans Royal horizontal windlass. I love it, and I'm the one that uses it most. We mounted it fairly high, on a 6 inch plinth on the foredeck.

I happily used a Sea Tiger for many years too. It was great, although the chain would sometimes jam in the chain stripper. We also fabricated a much longer handle so I could crank without getting on my knees.
Is that the smaller manual only version of the elec/manual tigress? I’ve really been throwing around getting one but I can’t find any good reviews on retrieval. I don’t mind grinding away with a manual and I have two young boys that’s can replace me over the next few years, so justifying the cost of an electric is really difficult.
Old 02-08-2018, 18:43   #13
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Is that the smaller manual only version of the elec/manual tigress? I’ve really been throwing around getting one but I can’t find any good reviews on retrieval. I don’t mind grinding away with a manual and I have two young boys that’s can replace me over the next few years, so justifying the cost of an electric is really difficult.
The Sea Tiger 555, iirc. I found there was limited exercise when cruising, so shortening up the chain first thing in the morning was a pleasure!
Also, if you have to pull up the chain by manual windlass, it makes you careful about getting a good set on the anchor!

That was 20 years ago. You can still get some Sea Tiger rebuilds etc. as you can see from this thread. I went with a Lofrans Royal this time and it's a nice unit. No issues at all, owned it for 5 years or so. I'm in my mid-60s and it's easy to use.

Installation would be about the same for all horizontal manual windlasses. Cutting the chain hole in the foredeck was interesting. Whoo-hoo...a sound core!
Old 02-08-2018, 18:46   #14
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
The Sea Tiger 555, iirc. I found there was limited exercise when cruising, so shortening up the chain first thing in the morning was a pleasure!
Also, if you have to pull up the chain by manual windlass, it makes you careful about getting a good set on the anchor!

That was 20 years ago. You can still get some Sea Tiger rebuilds etc. as you can see from this thread. I went with a Lofrans Royal this time and it's a nice unit. No issues at all, owned it for 5 years or so. I'm in my mid-60s and it's easy to use.

Installation would be about the same for all horizontal manual windlasses. Cutting the chain hole in the foredeck was interesting. Whoo-hoo...a sound core!
Sorry, I was asking about your new royal. Is it the horizontal elec or the manual only? How much chain does it pull per throw?
Old 02-08-2018, 19:24   #15
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Sorry, I was asking about your new royal. Is it the horizontal elec or the manual only? How much chain does it pull per throw?
Manual only. I don't know exactly how much, perhaps 12 inches, perhaps a bit more.

Tags
manual windlass, wind, windlass