Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2018, 13:23   #1

Steel Sailing Yacht for Charity Work

A retired military officer is conducting charity work for wounded and injured military personnel. Requires a strong/steel sailing yacht for sailing activities (introduction to yachting, cruising and expeditions) to help recovery and rehabilitation. Self financing so must keep costs to a minimum. Ideally 34' +. Thank you.
Rog904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 05:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Steel Sailing Yacht for Charity Work

not sure where you're located but you might look up the Sea Star Base Galveston...just did the same.
boatparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 10:47   #3

Thanks, looks a great place but I'm hoping to purchase a strong yacht to take wounded personnel sailing.
Old 24-05-2018, 11:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Are you going to charge the vets or some organization for the vets sailing? Is this just another racket on the backs of vets to get someone else to buy your sailboat? Sorry if I'm wrong, but I see this all the time.
I am a disabled VN vet and have a powerboat. People that go with me are almost always vets and I charge them nothing.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 11:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy! Welcome aboard CF.

Everything that I write is offered in a friendly tone of voice, and with the sole intent to help you.

Here are some tips I suggest for anyone who posts a "Which Boat" thread:

1. As with anyone first joining CF, I think it is a good idea to honestly tell the forum your level of sailing experience (and you can do that in your CF Profile), in some short statement in your post. If you are asking about buying a boat, it is a very good idea to be honest and upfront about what boats you may have owned in the past or if you have never bought a large cruising boat before. Being transparent about this early will help you in the long run. Don't be vague, be specific as much as possible and clear in describing your goals, your wants, your abilities and your restrictions. If you have sailed on many boats and have something specific in mind, mention that. If you have little experience and have only seen a few boats, mention that.

You will get lots of advice, from some very experienced sailors/cruisers here on CF, some who have bought or owned several. I am sure others will offer more suggestions.

2. I suggest you be as clear or open as possible on what you have for "Maximum Asking Price" (MAP) plus indicate HOW MUCH in dollars will be available for "Refit & Upgrade Costs." This is critical, especially if your goal is to sail very far with that boat. IF you do not have enough money set aside for "Refit/Upgrade" you may find or have others recommend a boat to buy that is not really "seaworthy" enough or well prepared for such a long voyage. Of course that is a matter of opinion and we all have different levels of risk tolerance or aversion, experience, and sense.

My Caution: In short, a boat that may be within a Maximum Asking Price (MAP) budget of (e.g. $30K) may NOT be really ready for a long voyage across an ocean, especially if you consider taking friends or family with you. This can be said for boats that have a small MAP (e.g. $30K) or even some with much higher MAPs (e.g. $100K).

My Assessment:
While there are many boats available on the market at $30K or less, there are FEW that I have seen that look "ready to cross oceans" with a family. Most are "ready to move from one marina to another" and some may be good to go sailing on short coastal sails, but not really ready for a long ocean crossing voyage or extended cruising. Even those boats I list in a few threads here on CF that may appear (in photos) to be in very good condition, may need thousands of dollars of refitting or upgrades for such a long voyage.

Given the price range ($30K or less) and the likely age of those boats (most will be from 1970s- 1980s) they may have original standing rigging and sails and hardware and old running rigging and plumbing and engine belts, pumps, and hoses, that may have to be replaced.

While the many parts or systems of ANY boat may be "functional" sitting at a dock, it may be very suspect (for possible failure) if stressed while on a long voyage. In short, what may be 'safe enough" for coastal cruising, may not be safe enough or prudent to use for a long ocean crossing voyage. This really applies to ANY boat, regardless of Asking Price.

Wise Words: Condition is much more important than price or age or brand of boat.

Plan to Spend Thousands of Dollars to Refit Any Used Boat
IF purchasing one of the many "Less than $30K boats" I have seen, I would also expect to spend about $20K - $30K (or more) in refit or upgrade costs (e.g. New standing rigging, new batteries, wind vane, etc.) in ADDITION to the MAP money you have set aside. While that would NOT be required for the typical sailor who spends much of their time in short hops or coastal sailing, IF you are planning something very different such as a long ocean crossing voyage with family or friends or passengers, you should expect to spend enough to make the boat truly seaworthy and safe.

2. Mention your specific location and your willingness to travel (how far) to see boats. This is very important too, as it can matter in the type of boats suitable for that location, and especially helpful if others are to make suggestions for you based on your local market. The USA market has very different boats from those seen in the UK and elsewhere. Since the CF Forum has many Americans as members, most of the boats recommended may be USA built or brands familiar to American sailors. IF you are in a location outside of the USA, state the country, so more locally available boats and services can be recommended by CF Members.

3. Mention any specific requirements you have, and why. Explain why you might want a particular type of hull or layout or rig or size. That information helps others understand your real need and desires and will help them help you. Don't be vague, be specific as much as possible and clear in describing your goals, your wants, and your restrictions.

For example, you stated in your Opening Post that you want a steel hulled boat. Why? There may be many more available boats that are Fiberglass (GRP) and would require less maintenance. "Strong" boat is not necessarily dependent upon the use of steel.

You mentioned something about it is OK if the boat needs work. Are you expecting the vets to refit or fix the boat? Do you expect them to do the labor?

I hope this helps you.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:19   #6

Thanks for the advice, gladly accepted. I will amend the post in due course.

In response to Lepke's post:

I'm also a wounded and disabled veteran (Falklands through to Afghanistan) and spend my time helping wounded soldiers through transition. I use my own funds, albeit limited, to finance projects that will add value to their lives and aid recovery; I ask nothing in return apart from commitment. Resources no longer required are sold on and monies raised gifted to service charities.

It's a shame that there are unscrupulous characters prepared to profit off the back of others misery. This callsign is not one of them.
Old 24-05-2018, 13:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog904 View Post
Thanks for the advice, gladly accepted. I will amend the post in due course.

In response to Lepke's post:

I'm also a wounded and disabled veteran (Falklands through to Afghanistan) and spend my time helping wounded soldiers through transition. I use my own funds, albeit limited, to finance projects that will add value to their lives and aid recovery; I ask nothing in return apart from commitment. Resources no longer required are sold on and monies raised gifted to service charities.

It's a shame that there are unscrupulous characters prepared to profit off the back of others misery. This callsign is not one of them.
There is a thread in the monohull boats for sale forum here, entitled, "MAKE AN OFFER." Check it out.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 13:32   #8

Boat: 1987 Holiday Ted Brewer design 51.9

What price range are you looking for ? I have a 51 ' center cockpit sailboat for sale but it is not a steel hull.

Pat
ptgautreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 10:37   #9

Boat: Morgan 33 O/I

Where are you located?

We have a 35.5' Tucker Charybdis Mk II steel hull ketch for sale, but it's in France.
AD 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, steel, yacht