Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 14:01   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Seattle to Port Townsend

Puget Sound Sailors! In a few weeks I will be taking my boat from Elliott Bay up to Port Townsend. According to OpenCPN, this trip is going to be about 35 km and should take about 7-8 hours depending on conditions.

On the day I'm considering, there is a 1.75kt current at 355 degrees off of Foulweather Bluff.

My question is - should I hug the west or east side as I head north? I was thinking of heading across to the tip of Bainbridge island, then staying on that side. I'm also considering the outside approach to Port Townsend instead of the Townsend canal as I don't know exactly how high my mast is. (Tashiba-31)

Advice?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 18:15   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Seattle to Port Townsend

It's a much nicer trip if you can time the current to be with you. A slog if you don't. The Townsend Canal has a tidal station so you can see when it is reversed to the main shipping channel route. I'd take it if the tide is with you. Your boat will fit under the bridge.

Also, I assume you meant 35 nautical !files,not km.
Old 10-10-2016, 18:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Actually better for you to stay on the east side of the TSS until you are north of appletree point.
After you are abeam of appletree point cross the TSS to the west side and continue north that will actually cut about 5 miles off your trip and bring it more inline with opencpn.
Main point to plan is as Paul says do your run from appletree to port Townsend on the outgoing tide it will make the trip faster and much more enjoyable. Lastly in early to mid November you can usually count on a diecient wind out of the south for that trip. ( I'm local so if you want or need more assist pm me. Rob)
Old 10-10-2016, 19:04   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Suggest you buy a 50 ft. tape and have someone help you measure it. You'll be using it to measure sails, as well, at some time. It's a good idea to also measure the distance from your topsides at mast base level to the water, so as to learn your "air draught." Then write it down somewhere. I'd have to do that, I can't remember important numbers at all well, gotta write them down. Good luck.

Ann
Old 10-10-2016, 19:43   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Bridge is 60 feet @mhhw.

I prefer sailing even up wind on the Admiralty Inlet side.
During ebb, hug the East side of Marrowstone if going up Admiralty.
The flood is much less on that side if you don't get to PT before the end of the ebb.
I am right across from PT on Whidbey. My home waters, and I know the currents well.
If you hit flood before getting to PT, the flood is big time on the Whidbey side, and there is a rip from the Northeast corner of Marrowstone curving past our place and down to Bush Point. Stay West of the flood rip.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 19:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Looking at rig dimensions I would assume that your air draft is between 52 and 55 ft.
TASHIBA 31 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 11-10-2016, 08:55   #7

Boat: Navigator 4800

Question regarding tides in the PNW. I just moved to Poulsbo from San Diego and not used to tides,lol. What method do you guys recommend for learning about the tides in the PNW?
Thanks for any help
Yngvepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:06   #8

I would usually cross over to the peninsula side before Everett. If the tide is with you take the Townsend cut. Port Hadlock is just north of the passage. Great little restaurant there. I think you can anchor too if you are done for the day.
Watch the weather predictions if planning to anchor at Port Townsend, typically we get strong Southerly winds with a front coming in in the fall, in front of Port Townsend can be a bumpy anchorage. There's some strong winds predicted this week.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngvepau View Post
Question regarding tides in the PNW. I just moved to Poulsbo from San Diego and not used to tides,lol. What method do you guys recommend for learning about the tides in the PNW?
Thanks for any help
There are books from NOAA available that show tide and currents in the Sound based on ...I think ....4 times during each tide cycle. The racers used them a lot. I assume they are still printed. They show detailed circulation and back eddys off land features etc. I think there are N and S Sound editions. Maybe they are on line now.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:16   #10

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Quote:
Thanks for any help
Play around with deepzoom.com to understand tides and especially currents around here. Great graphical representation of currents. You'll be amazed at how strong the tidal currents run through some of our passes. I use deepzoom for pre-trip planning. Underway I use Navionics for navigation, and it contains pretty good tide/current information. I also keep tide tables onboard just in case.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:23   #11

Boat: Tartan 3700

Quote:
Thanks for any help
I'd take a look at deepzoom.com which is an interactive site for currents and tides, it's really useful for the bigger picture and general trip planning. There's also a book called 'Puget Sound Tides and Currents' which is more detailed. Those are my two favorite resources besides the regular tide and current sites.
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:51   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Thanks for any help
I used the Canadian Fisheries Book https://www.amazon.com/Current-Atlas...XA3RVXTFTVBT29 in the past, their URL is: 2016 Current Tables - Tides, Currents, and Water Levels. Since getting OpenCPN OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage however, I watch my currents on there while underway. NOAA has loads of great resources for trip planning, Interactive Catalog ... In my experience, when I find yourself losing ground, I timed it wrong
Old 11-10-2016, 10:08   #13

Boat: Casacde 36

Your boat will pass under that bridge.
Use the tides, don't fight them.
Avoid wind against Tide situation at point no point at all costs.
Enjoy your trip.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:16   #14

Boat: Seaward 25

We will be going from Shillshole Marina up to Anacortes around the 26th or 27th of October in a, new to us, 40 ft Beneteau. What would everyone's favorite stopover for a night be on that trip. Slip, mooring ball or at anchor makes no difference to us. Was considering Port Townsend but open to anything.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
We will be going from Shillshole Marina up to Anacortes around the 26th or 27th of October in a, new to us, 40 ft Beneteau. What would everyone's favorite stopover for a night be on that trip. Slip, mooring ball or at anchor makes no difference to us. Was considering Port Townsend but open to anything.
I suppose Spencer Spit would be good if you can make it that far. Avoid James Isl as the bottom is rock and the currents are swirling around thru there.
Time Guemes passage so the tide is not coming out strong, hard progress and standing waves if there is much wind against the tide too.

Tags
seattle