Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 23:22   #1

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Leaving from Seattle to San Francisco then across the Pacific

Hello Guys,

We will be setting off from Seattle on September 28th bound for San Francisco. From there we will wait for a weather window and then head off for Kiribati Island, then American Samoa, Solomon Islands, Papa New Guinea and finally Davao Philippines.

This will be our first time to cross the pond, so any helpful information about weather/timing and if you have been to these islands, I would love to get some first hand experience with anchorages, marinas and the local people.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2015, 23:55   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Leaving from Seattle to San Francisco then across the Pacific

Umm... Marinas???

Have you actually looked into those island nations Mr 100 ton license? I think that you will find bloody few marinas in the island Pacific that you propose traversing. And the few that do exist are not quite what you, as an American yottie, are used to.

Secondly, when contemplating a passage from SF to Kiribati the concept of a weather window isn't valid. On long passages, one considers seasonal conditions rather than "windows". The passages are far too long to have any realistic predictions for your weather. I would suggest perusing the pilot charts, although some folks believe that climatic changes have rendered them obsolete. Me, I dunno... but they are about the only resource one has for predicting wx out several weeks and tens of degrees of lat/long.

Jim

PS I hope that the wx is nice on the 28th... Selecting a departure date far in advance seems at odds with your ideas about windows!
Old 10-09-2015, 00:23   #3

Wow, first one out the gate and he seams already angry at me hahaha.

Well mr SW Pacific sailor. Actually I have studied the Pacific Islands as much as I can and have lived in the Philippines for several years. so I know a little bit about whats out there.
I am just interested in hearing some helpful experiences sailing to these Islands.

Oh and if you guys just want to hurtle insults then don't bother, I have several friends here that have sailed all over the pacific that are respectful to me that I am already getting good advice from.
Old 10-09-2015, 00:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Wow, first one out the gate and he seams already angry at me hahaha.

Well mr SW Pacific sailor. Actually I have studied the Pacific Islands as much as I can and have lived in the Philippines for several years. so I know a little bit about whats out there.
I am just interested in hearing some helpful experiences sailing to these Islands.

Oh and if you guys just want to hurtle insults then don't bother, I have several friends here that have sailed all over the pacific that are respectful to me that I am already getting good advice from.
haha No, he's probably an OK chap. I got him and the Mrs. riled up a few posts ago, and it takes a while sometimes for blood pressure to settle down. Would I hail him to my cockpit for cocktails? Probably not, but the feelings are likewise I'd assume.

With all that aside, have a fun and safe passage! SW Pacific Sailor did make some good points regarding weather. Provision correctly, and fair winds!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:13   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

If I understand.... You will depart Seattle around September 28th wait for weather (probably at Sturdies Bay), then head South to SF, before heading West

If you are making Davao your home destination Port you might consider a much easier sailing delivery route that offers more support options...

Personally I would do SF > HAWAII> MARSHALL ISLANDS> MICRONESIA> PALAU> DAVAO so that you can explore and dive some incredible remote atolls while still be within a reliable chain of US support, if you needed some parts- repairs or crew change

and then plan PNG>Solomans>Indonesia> DAVAO as a 2nd circular trip taking advantage of the monsoonal change

....Just a thought!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:45   #6

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

May I ask what is the attraction to Davao?

Also the one thing that sticks out to me is the super El Nino year we are experiencing this year. Not sure how that will affect the prevailing winds. Be careful and have all of your ducks lined up.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Personally I would do SF > HAWAII> MARSHALL ISLANDS> MICRONESIA> PALAU> DAVAO so that you can explore and dive some incredible remote atolls while still be within a reliable chain of US support, if you needed some parts- repairs or crew change

and then plan PNG>Solomans>Indonesia> DAVAO as a 2nd circular trip taking advantage of the monsoonal change

....Just a thought!
This was my initial route and if the prevailing winds are normal I will use it. But I'm watching the winds in that area and so far they are running east to west which is unusual for this time of year.

Also I heard that the weather in Hawaii is not to friendly starting in October. Is that true?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
May I ask what is the attraction to Davao?

Also the one thing that sticks out to me is the super El Nino year we are experiencing this year. Not sure how that will affect the prevailing winds. Be careful and have all of your ducks lined up.
My wife is from the Philippines and we actually have property in central Philippines on the island of Guimaras which we will go after Davao. The reason why we are going to Davao first is because they have a good marina there in Samal Island that can haul the boat if necessary.

Yeah this year is kinda weird with the winds and typhoons. definitely not normal.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:20   #9

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Hi Skipper, you must have your personal reasons for your planned itinerary and those would be just as valid as any others. But going through the South Pacific is definitely worth considering. It is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise for many with many more easy ports of call. But the season to go there would be next spring. But most just hop down the coast and spend a season in Mexico and then head off south across the equator. Once over to Vanuatu or American Samoa, you could then head off to the Phillipines. But it would add many months to the voyage and probably not something you can do at the moment. It's worth considering though as it builds up your offshore experience (for you and the boat) in smaller chunks with more support options along the way.

But I am sure you will have a great time going on the north side of the equator too. Take a look at Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes" if you haven't already. Invaluable comments on the routes across. Not for "where is the best place to refuel" etc. but for trade wind info, stopping points, etc.

Fair winds.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:54   #10

Boat: Coronado 23

Seems like your leaving Seattle late in the year. The Washington/Oregon coast can be unforgiving some times beginning in late September. Enjoy your journey.
kdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:16   #11
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

Wow what a great adventure! Please post pictures along the way.

I have never made such a journey, but on out coastal outings we use this guy for weather. He does it for boater all around the world......

Just passing on information.

Home - www.oceanmarinenav.com
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Hi Skipper, you must have your personal reasons for your planned itinerary and those would be just as valid as any others. But going through the South Pacific is definitely worth considering. It is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise for many with many more easy ports of call. But the season to go there would be next spring. But most just hop down the coast and spend a season in Mexico and then head off south across the equator. Once over to Vanuatu or American Samoa, you could then head off to the Phillipines. But it would add many months to the voyage and probably not something you can do at the moment. It's worth considering though as it builds up your offshore experience (for you and the boat) in smaller chunks with more support options along the way.

But I am sure you will have a great time going on the north side of the equator too. Take a look at Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes" if you haven't already. Invaluable comments on the routes across. Not for "where is the best place to refuel" etc. but for trade wind info, stopping points, etc.

Fair winds.
Great advice, thanks bro!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:10   #13

I wouldn't over react to Jim Cates post as he has lots of experience in that part of town. His points are very valid as the only weather you get to choose is the day you leave and in most of the south pacific marinas are in fact few and far between. El Nino usually effects the trade winds so depending on your route and fuel you may experience some very light winds in areas that usually give you steady winds. As others have said the south pacific is a very cool experience so plan on really enjoying g yourself and have a great trip. Make sure you have good light air sails.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:28   #14

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

A) Be careful about Seattle to SF on September!! You can find very rough water out there.
B) I think Mr. Cate have a point about take a deep look at pilot books..
It's a weird year about weather.. I just back from South America and let me tell you.. there are not winter down there... very weird.
Good luck and good winds!
Old 10-09-2015, 14:12   #15

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Hi Windrush. Which boat will you be voyaging in? I was Claire Oberly's rigger in '70-'71. I did 15 Mariners, including 31' s, '32's and 40's. Still love to have a 40. Don't worry about Cate,he means well but can be very opinionated and, sometimes, a bit condescending. You'll most likely be stopping off at my old yacht club, Morro Bay,after being thrashed coming down the coast. Have a great adventure ,my friend.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco, seattle