Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 13:08   #1

Early December Charters in the Virgin Islands

Hey everyone,

I know there are other threads asking and reporting the current conditions of the USVI and BVI post Irma and Maria aftermath, so I'll leave it to those areas to continue that conversation.

However, I was more so interested in knowing why early December, namely the first two weeks, are always considered low season and typically fall under the cheapest rates throughout the year for all the charter companies in this area and across the Caribbean. And again, I'm referring to any year, not this year specifically.

Is it just simply timing? i.e. do most people want to charter during the holidays, and not right before? Is it because things are typically closed down during early December? Is it because of poor weather, temperatures, or bug fluctuations? Is there any reason not to take advantage of reduced rates during these couple of weeks?

It seems to me that by December, you should be well outside of the typical hurricane season, so if anyone could clarify a little for my wife and I, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
dave
deecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 13:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Early December Charters in the Virgin Islands

Normally, it's a great time to charter. In the resort vacation business (of which charters are a sort of part), there is always a big drop off between Thanksgiving and Christmas, simply because most folks charter during those vacations. Likewise, in many places there is a drop off for a couple of weeks after New Year's. But conditions are the same, so you not only get a good price, but far fewer people. In normal years, things will have been open since late October. This year, there will be things that are open, things that are in the process of opening, things that are still closed, and things that will never open again! But there will be enough to have a good time.

I live and conduct charters in the BVI, by the way, and am there now.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 08:17   #3

Thanks for the quick response and info there Contrail. That's what I was hoping to hear since we tend to enjoy traveling to places in their off season and soak up the peace and quiet. My concern about this year is mainly fuel as we're happy to anchor out and don't need slips. However, not thrilled by the idea of porting gas jugs back and forth via tender if it can be alleviated. I do wonder if any dockside fill ups will be available by December time frame in either BVI or USVI.

It's great to see you're already down there, best of luck to everyone as they rebuild.
deecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 09:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I am "already down here" because I live here, 12 months a year. I wouldn't be worried about fuel; that comment was made more for private boaters. Your charter company will have the boat fueled up and it's a very rare bareboat charter that needs to fuel mid charter. Besides, there are several marinas that are going through their fuel docks to get them sorted out and functioning. But, I seriously doubt you would need to use them, whilst you are on charter. So, come on down for a charter you will remember for the rest of your life, both for the privacy, and the view of a vibrant society working well as a team to rebuild its country.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 13:06   #5

Used to live in Orlando, and they always said that the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas was the best time for locals to visit the theme parks, because that was the slowest time of the year for them. So I'm guessing the reason is the same.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Virgin Islands