Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 05:27   #1

VHF as two way in Baja Mexico?

I have two hand held Stand Horizon VHF radios. I am considering taking these on a bareboat vacation in Baja to use as ship to ship/ship to shore communications but also as a two way radio alternative for when our party gets separated on shore and to give to those going on hikes.

I have only been able to get a little info from the internet. So far it seems if I operate in the upper channels it might fall under a Family Radio Act.

Your insight and experience would be much appreciated. Thanks,
D.C.Y.
D.C.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 05:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: VHF as two way in Baja Mexico?

In Mexico, no one will care as long as you don't hog CH 16. Just monitor prospective channels for a while to make sure they're not someone's preferred chatting frequency.
Old 23-09-2017, 08:15   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you use channels appropriately this is done in many places including san diego.

you will want to research which channels in which countries are the ones available for your use.
yes even in mexico there are channels reserved for specified use. use as directed. if some one starts talking in spanish chances are you are on wrong channel. mexico is not a backward nation and they do have regulations and laws to be followed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 17:31   #4

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C.Y. View Post
I have two hand held Stand Horizon VHF radios. I am considering taking these on a bareboat vacation in Baja to use as ship to ship/ship to shore communications but also as a two way radio alternative for when our party gets separated on shore and to give to those going on hikes.

I have only been able to get a little info from the internet. So far it seems if I operate in the upper channels it might fall under a Family Radio Act.

D.C.Y.
Hi D.C.Y. ,

maybe this may help ,,

if everyone stays on ch16
then if there is a mayday , pan pan or securitas message then everyone will hear it ,

so if you want to call another Yacht call on 16 then change to say ch73 after you out go back to 16 ,
this is the world standard as i see it ,,

I monitor ch16 when ever we are aboard , its on 24/7 , if someone needs help we can help or contact the coast guard if they cant ,

hope it helps ,
Rob
VK2LOZ
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 17:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C.Y. View Post

D.C.Y.

this may also be a good read ,,
Enjoy
Rob
VK2LOZ

Radio Protocol and Etiquette
Old 25-09-2017, 17:50   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I expect it is technically illegal to use marine VHF channels ship to shore or shore to shore same as in US.

FRA only applies in US.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 17:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I expect it is technically illegal to use marine VHF channels ship to shore or shore to shore same as in US.

FRA only applies in US.
can you let me know what FRA is ,,
Cheers
Rob
the dumb Aussie
Old 25-09-2017, 17:56   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

FRA only applies in US.
Yes, technically illegal to use the marine band when on land most (all?) places in the world. So it's OK to use the radio when floating in 6"of water in the dinghy but step onto the beach it's becomes illegal.

OF course, this is never policed in many parts of the world , but it can lead to problems in some SE Asian countries, especially if well inland
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 17:59   #9

Quote:

FRA only applies in US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
can you let me know what FRA is ,,
Cheers
Rob
the dumb Aussie
I'm thinking Adelie might mean FRS (Family Radio Service), a bit like our CB UHF service.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-09-2017, 18:10   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I should have said FRS (Family Radio System) which is a government authorized UHF system in the US intended for short range with no license.

After a quick Wikipedia search
I have discovered that both Canada & Mexico have authorized use of the same bands for the same purposes though there are additional caveats. The underlying legal acts for FRS are US so technically I was correct but functionally I was wrong.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 18:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I'm thinking Adelie might mean FRS (Family Radio Service), a bit like our CB UHF service.
cool thanks ,,

in australia we all have to be licenced and tested to use the VHF marine spectrum , no cb Family chanels alocated at all ....
Old 25-09-2017, 19:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
cool thanks ,,

in australia we all have to be licenced and tested to use the VHF marine spectrum , no cb Family chanels alocated at all ....
Well we do have CB UHF band and that is very similar to what the USA has. AFAIK, they don't have any FRS in the VHF band - but I could very well be wrong
Old 25-09-2017, 19:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well we do have CB UHF band and that is very similar to what the USA has. AFAIK, they don't have any FRS in the VHF band - but I could very well be wrong
thats correct Wotname ,
we have UHF 80ch cb radio here thats licence free ,
But the question was can you use the VHF marine frequenceys fas cb radio ,,,,

It would be a pitty if someone was calling mayday and there was other useres chatting about how to cook an omelette ??

i think thats why Aussie laws are some of the toughest ,
Im licenced with the ACMA , amature radio operator i use HF on the yacht then im not getting blocked with the omlette cookers ,,,
If im sinking or some one is hurt i want to get thru with 100 Watts + .

i dont know many people that carry UHF 447mhz trancievers on there boats ?

i may be wrong but i will scan for a bit and see ,,
The weather is getting better on the south coast so will get busy soon ,,

enjoy
Rob
VK2LOZ
Old 26-09-2017, 17:37   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

No marine VHF can operate in the UHF frequencies used by FRS radios. Ain't gonna happen.

And the rules for FRS radios change on Thursday too, allowing higher power among other things.

Your best bet, if you can't contact the Mexican authorities and don't want to explore the rules? Is go to Mexico. Find a WalMart or other bigbox store, buy a couple of cheap blister-pack radios that are sold for local license-free use. Just make sure that's license-free, unlike the GMRS radios sold in the US that still require you to buy a license.

Or consider cheap GSM cell phones with Mexican SIM cards, or a TMob plan in the US that will give you Mexican service at no extra charge. Yeah, it isn't radio, but it is legal.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, Mexico, vhf