Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 03:51   #1

Motor sailing in New Zealand

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and my husband and I are just thinking about buying a boat and motor sailing around the coast of New Zealand. Has anyone sailed there and if so any tips would be welcome.

I have my day skipper and my hubby has some boating experience too but neither of us are very experienced.

Thanks
nauticalmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Motor sailing in New Zealand

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, nauticalmile.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:49   #3

With limited experience i would be looking at purchasing around Auckland area or Bay of Islands and spend time there gaining your experience as there's 1000's of anchorages and easy day sails (normally close to amenities/supplies), the coast any where around NZ is usually a bumpy ride unless you prepared to wait for the perfect conditions,

South Island and the Marlborough Sounds are magic and once inside very protected but getting across Cook Strait (between North and South Island) can be treacherous (on a good day!) again waiting for weather window is the way to go, you will find plenty of friendly advice/help every where you stop,

Cheers Steve EX kiwi
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:43   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

OP, please define what you mean by motor sailing. Is that a sail boat that you will mostly motor because you don't have much sailing experience, or is that a motor boat that you will 'sail', or in other words, drive?

Also, when you say you want to motor sail around New Zealand, do you mean circumnavigate? If so, maybe start with something a bit smaller while you learn, as New Zealand has a few spectacular cruising areas that are reasonably protected from the open ocean, but the New Zealand coastline generally is exposed to to open ocean and in many places has very few safe harbours - for example the entire west coast of the North Island has only one all weather port. A circumnavigation of either or both islands is a serious endeavour.

As Steve points outs, Bay of Islands in the far north and the Hauraki Gulf near Auckland are the two main areas with protected cruising grounds. And a ton of boats of every kind available to buy.

Once you've developed more experience and a better idea of the kind of sailing you want to do, start making plans for the passages to other places. Generally the east coasts of both islands are friendlier to boats with more frequent all weather harbours, but remember that's still the entire South Pacific lapping the islands from the east.

But you almost certainly will love it here - friendly people, beautiful scenery, as much adventure and/or sophistication as you want, and a unique cultural blend of Maori and everyone else. And if you're from the US, you get an extra 30 cents for every dollar you spend (makes up for the higher cost of living). Welcome.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 18:11   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

New Zealand is a lovely, friendly place, and it extends fairly far south into the Southern Ocean. Therefore, if you want to sail, or motor around it, you must be prepared for "busy" weather, and you will want a sturdily constructed vessel.

Some friends of ours who went to Stewart Island (at the far south), had quite a bit of damage when they tried to leave, when the wind finally dropped below 50 kn. They left into 40 kn., after waiting 3-1/2 weeks for that "window." You should be prepared for strong weather, and so will the boat have to be. Neither the South Island nor Cook Straits should be treated lightly.

Ann
Old 10-08-2017, 03:29   #6

Thanks everyone for your useful advice. We are from the UK and are trying to decide whether to purchase a motor sailor (i.e. a motor boat with sail capability) or a sturdy motor boat (50-60ft) for boating in NZ.

It sounds as though the Bay of Islands might be the obvious first area to explore until we have more experience under our belts so thanks for that Steve. I don't think we are quite ready for anything more challenging. However we are in no hurry either so we can spend time exploring and getting to know the boat and tides etc.

Ultimately we want to end up living in NZ which is why we are considering boating there too. We had been told to cut our teeth in the Med as it is much stiller and calmer waters and obviously there are lots of great ports and marinas. However the Med doesn't excite us in the same way as NZ and we would prefer to avoid having to book into high season marinas months and months ahead. Plus the Med is too hot in high season.

We are thinking of heading off around October time next year so I am hoping this is good timing for boating around these parts!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:01   #7

Boat: KP 46

I sailed a figure 8 around both islands, it is truly beautiful sailing.

North island is pretty much covered by guidbooks, the south island is fantastic, well worth the trip across Cook Straight to visit for a while.

I sailed into Stewart island, nice people and a good anchorage. I had no trouble with the weather, a bit blowy at times but nothing bad,(except coming from Picton, once outside and about half way across Cook Straight it picked up considerable, I anchored in Palliser Bay (never anchor there, it looks inviting on the chart but is the epicenter of a wind funnel, trust me…) blew in the 50's gusting to 70 all night. Not a fun night.)

I sailed into each Fjord in Fijordland, most of them up to the head, filled with waterfalls and wildlife. I saw no other boats other than a couple of Bug boats (lobster boats) in Fijordland until I got to Milford Sound. The folks on the fishboats were very friendly. Wind is mostly calm in the sounds, so you end up motoring. Deep water, lots of dolphin, lots of birds, and at the head of each is usually the most beautiful anchorages you can imagine. Dingy trips ashore to the waterfalls just one after another and each one beautiful.

NZ is truly beautiful , so diverse and any place you could easily spend a good long time there before moving on to the next.

I highly recommend it, sailing or motor sailing, you will truly find some beautiful country, secluded anchorages, and friendly people.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:08   #8

Thanks so much CaptMikeM.

My appetite is truly whetted now!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:28   #9

Boat: Prout

If bringing a vessel into the country you are allowed 2 years before having to either leave and return or pay tax on the vessel. It's all explained by customs on arrival. Also a certificate is given to you by them so that you can purchase larger items for the yacht tax free.
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:56   #10

Boat: Moana 33

Sounds as though you're being talked into this! We've just taken the plunge and have no regrets. Finding the right boat took a long, long time though - NZ conditions can be quite demanding, as others have pointed out (more than half the country is in the teeth of the Roaring Forties) - so take time, ask questions, choose wisely. Can't comment on motor boating as we've always had sails.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

October is the start of the boating season. Weather can be very changeable here & cyclones( aka Typhoons & Hurricanes) are not unknown. Some years ago got caught in a blow ( Magnitude was not forecast) off the Coromandel peninsula & the nearest weather station on land recorded 93knts before its wind gear disintegrated. Capt Steve gave you good advice, start conservative & get experience before attempting a circumnavigation.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 13:07   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalmile View Post
Thanks everyone for your useful advice. We are from the UK and are trying to decide whether to purchase a motor sailor (i.e. a motor boat with sail capability) or a sturdy motor boat (50-60ft) for boating in NZ.............
For what you seem to be planning I think a good motor sailer with the emphasis on the sailing would be your best bet.
Old 10-08-2017, 19:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
New Zealand is a lovely, friendly place, and it extends fairly far south into the Southern Ocean. Therefore, if you want to sail, or motor around it, you must be prepared for "busy" weather, and you will want a sturdily constructed vessel.

Some friends of ours who went to Stewart Island (at the far south), had quite a bit of damage when they tried to leave, when the wind finally dropped below 50 kn. They left into 40 kn., after waiting 3-1/2 weeks for that "window." You should be prepared for strong weather, and so will the boat have to be. Neither the South Island nor Cook Straits should be treated lightly.

Ann

The weather can get a little challenging but I have never heard of boats getting stuck at Stewart Island for 3 weeks or so. We normally come home on the tail end of a southerly. The forecasts are much better than they used to be - can almost depend on them. Could be your friends went home up the West Coast and that is a different kettle of fish.
Best weather January, February, March although I have heard that the middle of winter is good for cruising down south with generally settled weather punctuated with the odd storm.
Cheers John
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 22:42   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
The weather can get a little challenging but I have never heard of boats getting stuck at Stewart Island for 3 weeks or so. We normally come home on the tail end of a southerly. The forecasts are much better than they used to be - can almost depend on them. Could be your friends went home up the West Coast and that is a different kettle of fish.
Best weather January, February, March although I have heard that the middle of winter is good for cruising down south with generally settled weather punctuated with the odd storm.
Cheers John
That's right, they wanted to go to Fjordland. The year was either 1990 or 91, I don't remember which.

Ann

Tags
motor, New Zealand, sail, sailing