Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 06:31   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Buying a boat in Panama

I was hoping a few cruisers or ex-Pats could provide some thoughts and advice. I am looking at a boat in Panama, about 200 miles west of Panama City. A Beneteau 473 in Boca Chica.

My plan is to get a survey, some insurance, and move it to a location where I can store it for the hurricane season and maybe get some work done. Radar arch, new instruments, new dodger / bimini canvas. Longer term, next year, I want to take it to the Caribbean and cruise there for two years.

I have owned boats for over thirty years in the states, have offshore and coastal experience and currently own a Cal 39 mark 3. I am insured for going offshore (just not to another country) and down to Ensenada Mexico.

I think Javier Biu can help with the survey. After that I think I can figure out insurance, but any suggestions would be welcome.

After purchase does it need to be taken it out of Panama immediately?

If I can keep it in Panama, any thoughts on delivery captains. I can't take the time of right now to do it myself. I would be up for transiting to the Atlantic side if that is best.

Where is best to park it? What is availability like? Could I end up with no place to safely keep the boat on either coast?

Thanks for any help,

Sam
slavanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:42   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Buying a boat in Panama

Bocas Del Toro will be the least $$ Shelter Bay will be the most $$ Both should have space
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:32   #3

That means transit to the Atlantic side. Works for me. I have read what I believe is the Panama Cruisers guide on Yacht Pals and another updated by a cruiser in 2013 I think. I will google delivery captains.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:13   #4

Boat: Custom 172 Perini Navi Ketch

That boat has major keel bolt issues and has had a strong lightning strike.
Eileenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 21:22   #5

It has been a busy two months. The owner took a long time getting back to me. I was able to line all the dots up and found a boat in Key West. Closed on it just before Irma.

Short story, Fidelis survived and is now in Clearwater where insurance will fix the systems and cosmetic damage.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Eileenk.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 15:27   #7

Boat: Morgan 22

On a different tack, what would be the best way to buy a boat in Bocas del Toro Panama and then have it moved, shipped or otherwise relocated to a US territory? I’m still trying to flatten out passport speed bumps. Nearest I can think of is St Thomas or Puerto Rico, both over 1100 nm. Are there yacht moving companies that go into the Panamanian area?
N1EYO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, Panama