Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 04:41   #1

Question Pressure cooking and canning

I think I understand the principle of canning things in pressure cookers, but here in the UK I am unsure of what sort of canning jars would be best.

Would the ones that have a rubber seal and glass lid with metal clip type that clamps the lid work or do you need those ones that have a one use disc with a rubber compound seal that you use under the screw lid work? Or are there another sort I should use?

Help! I am Very confused!!!

Georgiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 14:31   #2

Boat: Looking with intent
Okay,

The better canning jars are the screw lid jars. If you want IM me and will send our phone number as we are also in the UK. Will gladly help you get through the fright of learning to do it right (not as hard as a lot of folks want to make it seem).

I would not suggest canning on the boat unless you are having a day of very calm weather and everything is able to be prepared and ready to go. Difficult to do for various reasons. On the other hand canning does let you make your own sauce style and have it on hand instead of making it from scratch (used to do alot of soups and sauces a few years ago).

Also the Italian pressure cooker we use has a name similar to "aenterum" Works wonders and since you are in the UK have some friends in Italy that might be able to get you one and ship it up. Ours has two thermo plastic handles on the side and a central locking handle with a pressure safety lock (impossible to open when under pressure). The lid is pressed up during function making it near impossible for there to be a leak (would have to come through the release valve or the safety valve for it to happen).

Hope this helps and take care. If you want any recipes let us know and will gladly give you some. By the way what part of the UK are you in?

Michael
Old 05-07-2008, 00:08   #3

Boat: Looking with intent
Finally found the proper spelling (looked on the bottom of the cooker) Aeternum is the name and they and a few other out of Italy tend to be the best that I have found.

Michael
Old 24-07-2008, 13:39   #4

Ahoy, Georgie Girl!

There's nothing quite like going straight to the horse's mouth so to speak to get the straight scoop.

Everything you would ever want to know about canning and preserving food with your pressure cooker can be found in the 435-page tome published by the Ball Company, the company that makes the glass jars used in the process. The ISBN is 0-7788-0139-X.

It's full of color pictures, simple detailed instructions, and complete recipes for some of the most mouth-watering food you've ever eaten!

The Internet is filled with hundreds of websites offering recipes for the pressure cooker. One of the more popular is Miss Vickie's Guide to Modern Pressure Cookery.

Fair winds and fine dining to you!

Robbie
Tahiti Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 10:08   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Pressure cooking and canning

Get a pressure cooker, jars and be healthy - can your own.

canning section
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 02:58   #6

Re: Pressure cooking and canning

Thanks for that last link!
47 year old guy who just started canning vegetables this year.
Started with tomatoes going to expand to other things next year with a pressure canner.
Easier than I thought, just follow the directions!
I have an uncle who cans everything you can imagine, wild game, fresh caught seafood of every type. His canned moose meat got me into it.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking